Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old August 31, 2014   #16
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew51 View Post

Thanks Bill! I think you sent me some seeds, but this one is from another source. I really appreciate the seeds. I will try again on what you sent, just to have a diverse seed pool. I can't wait to grow some of the others you sent. Now older, but I have confidence.
Here in northern areas these plants do not grow as well as down south. I noticed that with all peppers. the plants are shorter and more compact here.
For example Uyababa pepper only got to two feet tall, not 6 feet. It produced well, but man a 6 foot plant would be cool It may have been the cool spring, they got stunted. Maybe I'll keep it and let it grow again next year. The peppers are quite big!
The seeds you sent were late in the season, so I decided to wait and try them next season. Again this will give me a diverse gene pool. The Uyababa I grew was purchased from an African seed company.
My 4 year old jalapeño in Phoenix was well over 6 feet. It was well above my head, despite not being very well supported. Huge production! My husband would get 5-10 pounds when picking red, ripe jalapeños and then make bunches of purée for fermenting.
I just had some of the fermented sauce with a few chips. We brought about two gallons of the sauce with us when we moved.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2014   #17
drew51
Tomatovillian™

This year I grew a lot of hots just to see what I like, what grows well here etc. I only plan also to grow a few in future years. I don't need ton's of hot peppers either.
Next year I will be researching more sweet types. Some I'm going to try are
Donkey Ears AKA Slonovo Uvo
Pointy Kaibi
Sweet Pepper Zorza
Sweet Pepper Ozarowska

Some others I want to try, see how they do
Corno di Toro Rosso
Diamond White (for a white sauce)
Doux D' Espagne Sweet Pepper

I'm swampled with peppers! Having fun!
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote