Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 24, 2015   #1
Wolfie1038
Tomatovillian™

Default Too late to start over???

Hi everyone! Newbie here! This is my first time trying to grow tomatoes from seeds. I started them late I think (3-7) in 72 ct cells with grow lights and bottom watering. Once they got their first set of true leaves, I bumped them up into styrofoam cups so they had a little more room and put them outside awhile each day until they got going pretty good. They were getting tall & leggy, so I had to keep turning the flat each day. I put them on an outside table and yesterday I went out to check on them and something had eaten them! All I have left are stems basically. I am heartbroken to say the least

I am in zone 8 and I have some more seed. I was wondering if it is too late to start new seeds in flats outside or is it a lost cause for this year? If I can do it, what would be the best way to restart?

Thanks in advance for your help and input.
Wolfie1038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2015   #2
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Wolfie ... Bummer. I feel for you, but not all is lost. Do like what was suggested to me when the hormworms had a field day. Just keep feeding and caring for those plants. They will produce new leaves and grow up and produce. Just takes em a bit and it is hard to look at them stems when you had beautiful plants before.

I am still starting seed, and you should be able to do so too. With the warmer temps plants will grow faster than when we had to start indoors during cold with lights.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2015   #3
Wolfie1038
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Star for the words of encouragement. I ran into hornworms a few years back and they are vicious! They were so well camouflaged, that I didn't even see them until after it was too late!

You say you're still starting seeds...what's the best way to do it now? If flats/cells outside...sun or shade...covered or not...any details you can give would be greatly appreciated!!!
Wolfie1038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2015   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I agree with Starlight. I am thinking of starting some from seed this weekend because I'm noticing volunteers starting to come up. That would mean direct sowing in the garden. I'm jus curious to see what happens.

I have found some nice transplants at a local mom&pop plant store. Black Krim, Sungold, Porter's Pride and lots of very popular hybrids. That's another possibility.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2015   #5
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

It totally depends on your usual weather patterns. Around here in zone 8, I would strongly consider going with bought transplants if you can. By the time new seedlings are ready to plant (60ish days) you'll be in late June and presumably it will be hot by then. Good luck.

Dewayne Mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2015   #6
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Your only concern would be temps being too hot for fruit set. You have a long enough growing season to start again.

I'm FAR north of you, and I haven't even started any seeds yet. I usually start seedlings about May 1st, and transplant out about June 1st. I have few worries about temps being too hot, though.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2015   #7
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie1038 View Post
Thanks, Star for the words of encouragement. I ran into hornworms a few years back and they are vicious! They were so well camouflaged, that I didn't even see them until after it was too late!

You say you're still starting seeds...what's the best way to do it now? If flats/cells outside...sun or shade...covered or not...any details you can give would be greatly appreciated!!!
Yes, I am. I am just starting the special seeds I got here from TV folks. Them are precious, special to me so I wanted to get my market plants done and out of way first.

I had to think about how I was going to do mine, so I am doing it two ways. Since it is warm right now during th day and cool at nights in the high 40's and 50's. I am going to start some in 1" x 1" x 1 1/2" celled trays and put a piece of clear plastic over and leave outside in place that gets morning sun and filtered sun. I think putting them in full sun with the plastic on would probably cook the seeds.

I am also doing some and covering with plastic and leaving in house on kitchen counter where I normally put stuff. I have overhead light that stays on 24/7 for the seeds til they sprout and since air conditioner is broke, plenty of heat inside.

That way I will be able to see which does better if at all. I figure they probably all will sprout abotu the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I agree with Starlight. I am thinking of starting some from seed this weekend because I'm noticing volunteers starting to come up. That would mean direct sowing in the garden. I'm jus curious to see what happens.

I have found some nice transplants at a local mom&pop plant store. Black Krim, Sungold, Porter's Pride and lots of very popular hybrids. That's another possibility.
I have never started tomato seeds direct sowed before. Too many critters and too much rain here, but I would be interested in knowing how it goes and if it works or not.

I wish we had some mom and pop heirloom places round here. I'd have to drive several hours before finding somebody who was growing heirlooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewayne mater View Post
It totally depends on your usual weather patterns. Around here in zone 8, I would strongly consider going with bought transplants if you can. By the time new seedlings are ready to plant (60ish days) you'll be in late June and presumably it will be hot by then. Good luck.

Dewayne Mater
Dewayne is right. It will be hot by the time the seedlings get up, but I learned from some of the experts here on TV what to do to help keep the plants better cooled for their roots and I'll put a light shade cloth up to help keep the tops a bit protected and I'll put a couple of oscillating fans outside and let them run back and forth on the plants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Your only concern would be temps being too hot for fruit set. You have a long enough growing season to start again.

I'm FAR north of you, and I haven't even started any seeds yet. I usually start seedlings about May 1st, and transplant out about June 1st. I have few worries about temps being too hot, though.

Gary
Tormato has that right. With starting these other seeds later, my goal is not for fruit set for right now. That's part of the reason I waited to start my special seeds. We always go from freezing to blistering hot and humid overnight and temps climb like crazy during May, June and July and by mid May already nothing is setting fruit here. Plants are so stressed trying to stay alive and make tomatoes and I think the fruit quality is alot poorer tasting than in the fall. So I'll grow my plants, keep them feed and cool and healthy and soon as the temps drop they will start producing.

I did this last year. I was late with doing some tomatoes, way late like almost the end of May and while my other tomatoes looked rough and had problems the ones I protected and planted late produced like crazy for the early fall and all the way to frost.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2015   #8
kath
Tomatovillian™

I would definitely give it a try! As others have said, you can get tomato plants read to put out in 4 weeks or so when the weather's warm already. I've sown seed in mid-May and gotten lots of fruits from them in Aug., Sept. and Oct.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote