Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 21, 2015   #1
flgatorguy87
Tomatovillian™

Default Help identifying

I have a tomato that was labeled as a Cherokee Purple that is turning out to be a cherry variety. My 2 year old daughter was bad about moving the label sticks around while the tomatoes were in their seedling flats.

The cherry varieties we also started were Black Cherry, Chocolate Cherry, Hartmans Yellow, Grappoli D Iverno, and Isis Candy. Does this look like one of these?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
flgatorguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2015   #2
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

The one in the picture seems to turning yellow, So probably not a black or brown cherry, me thinks.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2015   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by flgatorguy87 View Post
I have a tomato that was labeled as a Cherokee Purple that is turning out to be a cherry variety. My 2 year old daughter was bad about moving the label sticks around while the tomatoes were in their seedling flats.

The cherry varieties we also started were Black Cherry, Chocolate Cherry, Hartmans Yellow, Grappoli D Iverno, and Isis Candy. Does this look like one of these?

I can't get a good idea as to size or shape or even color right now, but I have grown all that you mention, and would go with Hartman's Yellow if it weren't for the fact that yours seems larger than that, but Tania says faint stripes, but I grew it so long ago I can't remember if it did have stripes, and I assume that would be on unripe fruits since fully ripe it's yellow,

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/H...b=General_Info

Maybe best to let it ripen up a bit but I doubt it's not the two red ones you are growing, nor Isis Candy, nor the dark colored ones.

When I was transplanting hundreds of varieties at my farmer friends greenhouse his kids thought it was great fun to not just switch labels, for some they just took the labels, so I was faced with your same problem after the plants were set out and ID's were needed.

Carolyn
Old June 22, 2015   #4
flgatorguy87
Tomatovillian™

The size does look almost dead on after viewing the Hartmans Yellow on Tatianas page. I guess I will just have to be patient to verify everything for sure. I figured you would give me a pretty good idea though.

Thank you

flgatorguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote