Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 25, 2015   #1
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Default Pond weed

Our pond is so loaded with pond weed that we've been hauling it out and I have been using it on my veggie garden.

Does anyone know if this comes anywhere close to Kelp? I know it has some good nutrients and at the very least it is a good weed-seed-free mulch.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2015   #2
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Linda, I have read that some people compost pond weeds. I had always called it moss, but it is actually an algae. I'm guessing that is what you mean as Pond Weeds?
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2015   #3
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

No Robert, it's not algae - although we have that too when it gets really hot It's the actual weed that grows in the pond, some of it from the bottom as it pulls up some mud with it. The stuff we have been hauling out recently looks grass-like although we have some of the other (invasive) stuff too. The goldfish like it!

Linda
Old June 25, 2015   #4
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

If im not mistaken the invasive stuff is probably alligator weed. Its choking out all the rivers around my neck of the woods. I would not compost alligator weed if in fact it is that junk. It has the potential to spread like wild fire.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2015   #5
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the warning. I looked it up and it's not Alligator weed, but something with very fine leaves. The other invasive one that I have is Millefeulles, but this stuff seems even worse and is difficult to get out because it has rooted, and our pond is 8' deep in the middle.

I do appreciate the warning not to compost stuff that is in flower or going to seed! I hadn't even thought about that!

Linda
Old June 25, 2015   #6
4season
Tomatovillian™

I think it will be great mulch. It won't have the trace mineral and plant hormones that ground kelp has, but it should keep the weeds down and feed the soil.
4season is offline   Reply With Quote