Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 6, 2015   #1
jflournoy
Tomatovillian™

Default Safe to spray Kocide and Daconil together?

I've been spraying Daconil on our 800+ tomato plants on a regular schedule (plus some) but with all the rain we've had this year (and are still having), it's been difficult to keep the plants covered (rain keeps washing it off!) and I am definitely starting to see some early signs of disease pressure. I've sprayed Copper on my apple trees in a dormant spray, and have been told that Kocide is an extra measure of protection that can be sprayed for Tomatoes. My question is, does anyone know if Kocide and Daconil can safely be mixed together in the same mix and sprayed at one time on tomatoes without damaging the plants in any way? It took me a little over 4 hours to spray all our plants last time I did it, so if I could get away with spraying them together, that would save me an awful lot of time.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
jflournoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2015   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflournoy View Post
I've been spraying Daconil on our 800+ tomato plants on a regular schedule (plus some) but with all the rain we've had this year (and are still having), it's been difficult to keep the plants covered (rain keeps washing it off!) and I am definitely starting to see some early signs of disease pressure. I've sprayed Copper on my apple trees in a dormant spray, and have been told that Kocide is an extra measure of protection that can be sprayed for Tomatoes. My question is, does anyone know if Kocide and Daconil can safely be mixed together in the same mix and sprayed at one time on tomatoes without damaging the plants in any way? It took me a little over 4 hours to spray all our plants last time I did it, so if I could get away with spraying them together, that would save me an awful lot of time.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
I can only speak to using Daconil with anything else in the sprayer at the same time.

Many years ago I wanted to add some fish emulsion to Daconil, thought about it a bit and decided to call Ortho and ask about it since it was Ortho Daconil I was using at the time.

I was advised to use nothing but Daconil to spray with since the number of molecules of Chlorothalonil ( Daconil) had been titrated so that they would completely cover the fungal receptor sites on the upper leaf surface.

This same subject has been discussed here before and others brought up the fact that using anything else could also cause direct interactions between the two ingredients thus lessening effective concentrations of both.

So I alternated Daconil by a few days with whatever else I was spraying at that time.

Carolyn
Old July 6, 2015   #3
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Have you used this product before? did it work well for you? I am not familiar with it. Just make sure you read the label well before using it. There is a reentry of 24 hours and PPE restrictions for 7 days for the product, too.

I read the label and it said not to tank mix with other agricultural products as unintended consequences may occur . There is also a risk of phytotoxicity associated with this product due to the Ph of the solution. Just make sure your solution is not below 6.5 . I would recommend calling the company and asking them for their advice.

" • Agricultural chemicals may perform in an unpredictable
manner when tank mixed, especially where several
products are involved. Reduced effect on pests or crop
injury may occur. Unless recommended on this label or
by a state/local expert, it is advisable to test for compatibility
and potential crop injury prior to full scale
commercial utilization of a new tank mix; otherwise, tank
mixing should not be undertaken." as per the label.

We use a spreader sticker with most of our sprays and that may be a solution for you, but I did not see any labeling for one, but they may tell you what kind and how much to use or not use.
Old July 6, 2015   #4
jflournoy
Tomatovillian™

I have not used Kocide before. I know companies are traditionally very cautious about what they recommend regarding tank mixing their product with another product. I've found in the past that sometimes that is warranted and other times it is not. I was hoping to find someone here who has personal experience with mixing Kocide and Daconil for a tomato spray.
jflournoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2015   #5
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Here is a good read from syngenta. Also check out Quadris Opti which is a combination of daconil and azoxystrobin.

http://www.cdpr.ca.gov/docs/emon/sur...ation_2012.pdf

Ami