Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old September 2, 2015   #31
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Also, on the amount used, I've read 12 grams each of the 4-18-38 and CN and 6 grams ES for 5 gallons of water. Is this the % that you are both using for the buckets?
I'd missed this, but your math checks on the 5gal mixing solution.

Also, the chemicals I have all seem to mix OK.

Warmish water and mix, then let sit a little while, mix again and use. I don't see any bottom sediment in the watering pail or drum.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2015   #32
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Rick for all the info. The chemicals from MorganSeed all dissolve well too. I'm going to do a fertilizer comparison this fall.

I grow in EarthBoxes, and Root Pouches. Can't grow in ground in Florida (nematodes).
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2015   #33
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Ricky, you can do about 4
Barb, you have to use Magnesium with hydo gardens fertilizer in soil-less containers, you will have the prettiest golden leaves if you don't.
In AK, it has been blamed on our length of day, we have to use more of everything. I use 12-14 0z fertilizerper hundred gallons, that is where my plants thrive, it comes to about 1600ppm.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2015   #34
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
I use 12-14 0z fertilizer per hundred gallons, that is where my plants thrive, it comes to about 1600ppm.
The fertilizer efficiency of the growing media is huge over soil type application using other 60% active products, (Expert 15-30-15, MG 15-30-15), or the way I use the HG 4-18-38) at 10sq ft per gallon of mix 10-14 days.

An area of soil the size of a 15gal pot (1.25 sq ft) would require 20oz of mix every 10-14 days.

I might grow out a couple of plants over the winter, one in a 15gal pot and the other in an EB.
Old September 6, 2015   #35
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

I step into the new century and embrace the technology. The dog remembers the solar panel project and has his doubts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg adventure.jpg (134.0 KB, 80 views)
Old September 6, 2015   #36
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Ricky, the HG is a much better formula for tomatoes since Potassium is the main ingredient they desire, I don't use high phosphate formulas, also make a note to follow the 8 oz per 100 gallon recommendation to start with.
Old September 6, 2015   #37
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Mark, yep I was thinking the standard mix of 8oz or even less, and ramp up accordingly.

Do you introduce this mix to the plants directly or dilute it further with inline water into the drip system?

And if it's not continuous and direct, how often do you skip between waterings?

I'm hoping you say you skip some days, because it gets hot and dry here and will probably have to water every day. And even with a 15-25 gal pot, some days, I bet it's twice a day. The thought of fertilizing on high heat days to stressed plants is unsettling to me.

Thank you for all your help.
Old September 6, 2015   #38
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Ricky, lol, on hot days we water 3 times a day with the fertilizer, it is designed for continuous feed, I DO NOT use plain water, ever. It gets in the 90's in the greenhouses on hot days, with almost 20 hours of daylight, pretty demanding for the grower. If you grow in soil it can be different/ reduced, or tailored to fit your soil sample, in pro-mix, we only care about what the tomato plant wants.
HG has done this stuff since the 60's, I have several friends who have used their goodies for many years, that's how I found out about them.
Take note, we have found when it's really hot it is best to add a watering, but reduce the amount, this helps keep the media consistent, reduces cracks, and will help with BER problems too.

Last edited by AKmark; September 6, 2015 at 04:37 PM.
Old September 6, 2015   #39
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Mark,
A continuous feed poses fewer problems than intermittent, so that's kind of cool. I don't see anywhere in the HG literature that the mixed 4-18-38, MagSulf, and CalNitr is unstable, and premixing in a 275 gallon tote and gravity drip is my most cost effective option.

So if it's not reactive, why does the injection system you have separate the Calcium, does it clump?

I been to Alaska once, first wife's brother was a pilot for Pennisula Air in the late 80's. He got called in on emergencies 4 of the 7 days we were there. It worked out ok for me, the wives went shopping and sightseeing and I rented a car and drove down to Homer and fished for 3 days.

I might have been thru Wasilla, can't remember. One of the days we drove up thru the Matanuska Valley, and in perfect tour guide voice he's telling us about huge cabbage and some strain of killer weed raised by old hippies.