Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 15, 2015   #1
Lastfling
Tomatovillian™

Default 2015 garden musings

After a gardening haitus of several years I built several raised beds and dipped my toe back in the water this year. Following are some observations --

My garden consisted of (2) 4x8 beds, (4) 4x4 beds and (1) 3x4 bed. Sizes being mostly determined by lumber on hand and kinda like a puzzle - what fit where within the space I had alloted. The North border of the area was anchored by (5) straw bales.

Planting wise, my eyes and wants were, of course, larger than the space I had allocated - as you will soon see.
Here's the list -
Bed 1 - 4x8 bed with 16' trellis hooped length -- Iran Squash, Delicata Squash, Sphagetti squash.

Results: Iran Squash is a demon with humongous leaves and stems as big around as my arm. It ultimately ran over and devoured everything else in and above the bed and had ambitions on the rest of the garden before the squash vine borers put it to a premature death. I did get two Iran Squash out of all that, and (2) delicata squash before the vine was run over by the Iran. The sphaghetti squash threw its hands up and accepted defeat way early in the process.

On a side note: My Iran squash didn't look anything like the foam green/peach coloring in the pictures you see. Mine were most a washed out dusty green with lighter whitish/beige spots.

Bed 2 - 3x4 with hooped trellis -- Straight 8 cucumber.

Results: While slow to start - for a while there were cucumbers out the wazoo. The vines prematurely succumbed to powdery mildew.

Bed 3 - 4x4 -- Landreth bush green beans.

Results: I was impressed, the plants were prolific and produced exceptionally well. As advertised the beans were stringless and good. I will plant these again.

Bed 4 - 4x4 - (2) hogwire trellis 7' tall -- Scarlett Runner beans and another runner bean.

Results: While the vines were impressive, as were the flowers (which the hummers particularly liked) production was dismal. I would probably have held my entire harvest in one hand. This possibly is attributable to the heat. Once the temps started to moderate, my interest waned and the bean beetles finished the plants off - stripping the foliage in record time.

Bed 5 - 4X8 - (1) trellis lengthwise down center & raised on T-posts for added height. -- Delicious tomato -- (8) plants - 4 to each side of trellis.

Results: They were crowded yet produced well. It was interesting to note the differences in fruit size between the plants. Several plants had large fruit while others had more heart shaped small fruit. These all came from some seed packets I had bought a year or so earlier.

Bed 6 - 4x4 - Cowpeas (Coat and Jacket / Blue Goose). Coat and Jacket did not really come into their on until early July and then they nearly took over everything else. I had cowpea vines on the cucumber trellis, cowpea vines on the runner bean trellis, cowpea vines headed for the strawbales. I managed to keep them out of the tomatoes, but it was only with effort. For all that, the peas were very good and prolific. The Blue Goose were lost in the shuffle being overshadowed by the Coat and Jacket.

Bed 7 4x4 - Jalapeno pepper. These guys have been hot! and with the exception of the cayenne, basil and lemongrass are the last things standing in this years garden.

Strawbales I planted with lemon grass, (2) thai basil, (2) yellow straightneck squash, (2) zucchine squash, (1) cayenne pepper, (1) sweet 100 cherry tomatoe which I let sprawl. Everything in the strawbales has grown an produced well.

I purchased my bales in Febuary and spent the next two months conditioning them before planting in mid-April. I've read where some have gotten several seasons from them, but mine have pretty much reduced by half, so I don't see them lasting for another season. I'll probably throw them on the compost pile and start anew next year.

Speaking of next year. I've acquired seed for several tomato varieties from generous folk on this site that I can't wait to start. I feel it's going to be a long winter
Lastfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2015   #2
Lastfling
Tomatovillian™

Adding a picture to add some meaning to the words
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (336.2 KB, 100 views)
Old October 15, 2015   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Nice musings and pictuer.
Here is the pictuer flipped if I may.
flipped.jpeg
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2015   #4
Lastfling
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Worth for rotating the picture. Vertical gardening is ruff. LOL.
Old October 16, 2015   #5
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastfling View Post
Thanks Worth for rotating the picture. Vertical gardening is ruff. LOL.
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote