Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 4, 2015   #16
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Do you have a link to the pictures on that forum?

Thanks
Ginny
See if this link works
http://www.tomat-pomidor.com/newforu...c,1085.20.html
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2015   #17
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Yes that worked. Thank you so much!

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2015   #18
Growing West
Tomatovillian™

I bought black icicle and about three other varities (one was black pearl) a few years ago from Baker Creek. It was like the rest from that order. It wasn't stable, and fell way short of description for flavor, yield and appearance. I subsequently wrote that company off for tomato seed purchases. My melon and squash purchases from Baker Creek have faired much better, though.
Growing West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2015   #19
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Interesting. I have black, yellow, orange, and pink icicle to try next year. There is a red, too. I will definitely limit the black to just one plant.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2015   #20
Growing West
Tomatovillian™

I have trialed quite a few of the more-recently developed Russian varieties that are supposedly stable. My motivations for doing this are two-fold. I have been gardening further north in Minnesota and Montana than where I grew-up and started in Kansas. If I stll lived there, I am sure I would have tried less of these. My second reason is that the first of the non-heirloom (recent commercial) Russians I tried was Japanese Black Trifele, which quickly became one of my all time favorites. This just had to signal the start of a happy trend, right?

Well, what I've found is that many of these varieities have been brought here by a few people with some conflicting, and at times patently false, stories about the origins (fingernail length may be like pinocchio's nose if you see that in some of these pictures). I have also found that appearance and shape often trumps taste and that stable isn't necessarily so. I am not talking here about the true heirlooms from Russia or it's neighbors like the Ukraine. If you look at the pictures of Black Icicle that are now on Baker Creek's site, they look a lot different than the ones from four or five years ago on that site. Then, they looked more like, uh, black iciciles.
Growing West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2015   #21
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I am also becoming a big fan of Russian (and Chinese) varieties. Every time I find someone with an ebay/amazon/etsy store selling heirloom tomato seeds that look new to me, I will inevitably dig up an old tomatoville thread with a lot of critical comments about the seller.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2015   #22
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

I may have grown the two. I got seeds for Black Pepper (which could be the same as Black Icicle) from Ted and it turned out to be a good sauce tomato. It has quite an

unusual shape.
The Favorie de Bretagne seed I used came from Russia and it was a compact plant and very productive. I haven't grown Green Sausage for comparison, but people at the market liked the flavor of Favorie.

Lee
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote