Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 5, 2015   #1
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Default Vertical farming indoors

This article is about meat production, but 1/3 of the way in, there's a great slideshow about large scale indoors growing (in Illinois) using hydroponics and LEDs. sample pic below.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/how-to-s...eat-1449238059

BN-LN333_VERTIC_P_20151202111513.jpg
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2015   #2
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

Holy Moley!! I have never seen anything like this before! Thank you for the post!!
Spike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2015   #3
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

After watching the documentary called Cowmentary, I really really wish I could handle becoming vegan... alas my body could not handle beans being the only source of protein.
Old December 5, 2015   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigiwu View Post
After watching the documentary called Cowmentary, I really really wish I could handle becoming vegan... alas my body could not handle beans being the only source of protein.
People are more and more mixing the term vegan with a true vegetarian.
A vegetarian doesn't mind using a horse or ox to plow a field.
A true vegan will have no part of it.
But yet so many people have jumped on the band wagon that they have lost the real philosophy behind all of it.
Many have tailored it to meet their personal needs just like many other things we have.
Can you be a true vegan if you eat beans for protein that came from a field that used a plow that hurt living things and killed worms?

We studied the vertical farming in FFA many years ago.

This is out future folks and we are going to have to get used to it.
This and lab meat made on an industrial scale.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2015   #5
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Worth, I am neither a vegetarian or a vegan but I am not sure a vegan would really object to a horse plowing the field. Please enlighten me as where is this defined?
I was sway to WANTING to become 'vegan' (by my understanding of the word) by the documentary as it highlights the destruction we are doing to our earth in order to grow cattle. Beef is in huge HUGE demand. I believe in horses working etc. My objection is not to the use of animal for either meat or work. Its toward the destruction of rainforests and etc when they should not be growing beef there and yet are growing massive amount of feed and grain to grow cattle. Do we really need to be eating as much meat as we are? I want to be less meat centric so grassfed production of meat in (places where grass grows naturally) can be enough. I am not a huge proponent of growing soy either. ALAS, I am actually on special nutrient dense diet to heal my gut. Its eating zero processed food and a lot of veggies and meats. I wish it wasn't so centered around meat but I cannot do beans of any kind...
There were some interesting comments in that movie, like why do humans needs cow milk which is being produced to turn baby cows into 400lb animals...

Last edited by luigiwu; December 5, 2015 at 10:50 AM.
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2015   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigiwu View Post
Worth, I am neither a vegetarian or a vegan but I am not sure a vegan would really object to a horse plowing the field. Please enlighten me as where is this defined?
I was sway to WANTING to become 'vegan' (by my understanding of the word) by the documentary as it highlights the destruction we are doing to our earth in order to grow cattle. Beef is in huge HUGE demand. I believe in horses working etc. My objection is not to the use of animal for either meat or work. Its toward the destruction of rainforests and etc when they should not be growing beef there and yet are growing massive amount of feed and grain to grow cattle. Do we really need to be eating as much meat as we are? I want to be less meat centric so grassfed production of meat in (places where grass grows naturally) can be enough. I am not a huge proponent of growing soy either. ALAS, I am actually on special nutrient dense diet to heal my gut. Its eating zero processed food and a lot of veggies and meats. I wish it wasn't so centered around meat but I cannot do beans of any kind...
There were some interesting comments in that movie, like why do humans needs cow milk which is being produced to turn baby cows into 400lb animals...
I knew you were joking and no I am not going to get my protein from beans either.
Like I said there are different levels of the whole Vegan thing and if I may just like religion.
People will tend to take a certain doctrine and adjust it to meet their lifestyle.
The original doctrine is forgotten.
A perfect example of this is a conversation I had with a fanatical woman.
She said that we need to go back to ((a time)) lets say in our history and live that way.
I said well if we do you and your husband wont have the right to vote.
You are a woman and your husband doesn't own land and you guys rent.
She said well except that part but everything else.
The point I am trying to make is people will jump on a band wagon and not count the wheels on the wagon so to speak they simply ride the wagon.

So with that said, certain factions of vegetarianism or veganism do not believe in the exploitation of animals.
This means using a horse or animal to ride or pull a plow.
They have the same rights as we do.
I am not here to condone nor condemn just to learn and to better understand.
One of the reasons I started researching the subject was due to a comment made by a self proclaimed vegan at work.
His comment was ((Blank)) the wildlife our country needs oil and we should kill more wolves.
This I can assure you is NOT the vegan philosophy.
Here is a good start to better understand where all of this came from.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...-GLdtNK4GMIbng

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2015   #7
bower
Tomatovillian™

The LED light setup is pretty amazing. Would love to see some of those around here.

One thing, I don't understand the reasoning behind hydroponics instead of soil.
I guess I just like dirt.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote