Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old September 28, 2015   #1
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Default Anna German - Anna Hermann - Russian Lime

Anna Hermann on the left and Russian Lime on the right.

AnnaHermann-a.jpgRussianLime_b.jpg

Anna Hermann on the left and Russian Lime on the right.

AnnsGermanL-RussianLimeR.jpg

Russian Lime does not have pronounce nipple on the bottom, is smaller and earlier than Anna Hermann. They taste fairly similar with Russian Lime perhaps being slightly more intense. They both have an assertive lime taste that lingers.

Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.

Last edited by Dutch; September 28, 2015 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Added Russian Lime info
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2015   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Below are pictures of a tomato I grow we call Anna Hermann.

Attachment 53494

Attachment 53495

Dutch

P.S. Pictures of Russian Lime to follow. I got to make something to eat now.
Dutch, isn't there already a thread here where you posted about Anna Hermann vs Anna German vs Russian Lime?

I think I said I grew Anna Hermann, seeds from Andrey in Belarus and went and got Tania's page for it and saw that it was also called Anna German and Russian Lime, went and fetched Tania's page for Russian Lime which sent me back to Anna German.

I could go to my profile and dig out what posts I've done lately just to see if I'm still sane, but you could confirm my sanity quicker than I could.

Carolyn, who thinks maybe it wasin your Russian #117 thread,
Old September 28, 2015   #3
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Hi Carolyn,
In the "Russian 117 + Not" thread I indicated that I would be posting pictures Anna Hermann/Anna German and Russian Lime the next day.
I see we really do not two threads to show the difference. I will add the Russian Lime to this thread and than the Russian Lime thread can be deleted.
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

Old September 28, 2015   #4
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

I get the feel there are some questions out there. Ask away. I will try to answer them after Monday night football. I have quite a few chores to do yet day and some pictures to take this afternoon, so see you later on.
Dutch

Old September 28, 2015   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hi Carolyn,
In the "Russian 117 + Not" thread I indicated that I would be posting pictures Anna Hermann/Anna German and Russian Lime the next day.
I see we really do not two threads to show the difference. I will add the Russian Lime to this thread and than the Russian Lime thread can be deleted.
Dutch
Dutch, I see no reason to delete this thread or any of the recent ones on this topic that you've put up.

When I look at Tania's pictures, Google IMage pictures and general googling I must confess that it's confusing for me re Anna Hermann, Anna German and Russian Lime.

If I could have grown all of them, if there are three, in the same season I think that would have helped since it would have ruled out subtle changes in fruit size and shape etc, due to weather conditions, since that can happen, but alas, I only grew Anna Hermann,

Carolyn
Old September 29, 2015   #6
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Anna German and Anna Hermann are the same name. Anna (or Anny) German’s (or Herman or Hermann) father’s birth name was Eugene Hörmann (his first name sometimes has been written as Eugen or Eugeniusz). While living in Russia it was changed to Yevgeny German. The following link http://www.emazury.com/sybiracy/plik...i/28german.htm says this when translated from Polish to English;

Her mother, Irma Berner, maiden name Irma Martens, (b. 1909, d. Jan. 30, 2007) was a descendant of Dutch Mennonites, which were brought to Russia by Polish Empress Catherine II. Irma Martens’ ancestors had immigrated to Poland from the Netherlands because of religious persecution. The next stage of their migration was to Uzbekistan, a region located on the border between Europe and Asia. Upon their return to Poland, Anna’s mother taught German at the Agricultural University of Wroclaw, Poland. Anna's accountant father’s name Eugene Hörmann in German and was changed to the Russia name Yevgeny German after moving there.

Dutch
P.S. Anna's father’s complete birth name was Eugene Eugene Hörmann (his first and middle name were both Eugene).

Old September 29, 2015   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Anna German and Anna Hermann are the same name. Anna (or Anny) German’s (or Herman or Hermann) father’s birth name was Eugene Hörmann (his first name sometimes has been written as Eugen or Eugeniusz). While living in Russia it was changed to Yevgeny German. The following link http://www.emazury.com/sybiracy/plik...i/28german.htm says this when translated from Polish to English;

Her mother, Irma Berner, maiden name Irma Martens, (b. 1909, d. Jan. 30, 2007) was a descendant of Dutch Mennonites, which were brought to Russia by Polish Empress Catherine II. Irma Martens’ ancestors had immigrated to Poland from the Netherlands because of religious persecution. The next stage of their migration was to Uzbekistan, a region located on the border between Europe and Asia. Upon their return to Poland, Anna’s mother taught German at the Agricultural University of Wroclaw, Poland. Anna's accountant father’s name Eugene Hörmann in German and was changed to the Russia name Yevgeny German after moving there.

Dutch
P.S. Anna's father’s complete birth name was Eugene Eugene Hörmann (his first and middle name were both Eugene).
I aways like to read a good story, but since the link was in Polish, I couldn't read it but when I saw links at the end and saw Wiki, I said aha, but it turned out to be in Polish as well

What doesn't make sense to me at all are the last two lines, that is, I can see the name change when in Russia to Yevgeny, which is Russian, but why keep the word German when at that time Germany was and still is, called Deutschland.

Do you read Polish or did you use one of theGoogle translaters? Just curious.

And I can't see how Hormann ( forgot my umlaut key) translated to the word German either, and I did use a Google translater for that.

And we still haven't solved the Russian Lime issue, have we.

See pictures

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...an+lime+tomato

Carolyn
Old September 29, 2015   #8
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Hi Carolyn,
I did have help with the translation. I have an ex-wife whose maiden name was Zurawski and she reads and speaks Polish quite well.
Why the name change from Hörmann to German, check this link out, http://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/G...s/slide46.html. It states; “Another factor is the lack of the h sound in the Russian language; there is no letter to represent this sound in the Cyrillic (Russian) alphabet. Foreign words (such as Jewish names) containing the h sound were spelled using either the hard g sound or gutteral kh sound instead. Thus names like "Hirsh" and "Hinda" became "Girsh" and "Ginda", or "Khersh" and "Khinda". In some Lithuanian and Ukrainian regions, the initial h sound tended to be dropped entirely, so "Hirsh" became "Irsh", and "Hinda" might appear as "Inda".

The history of the Russian Lime plants I grow is a story in itself and I will explain tomorrow.

Dutch

Old October 1, 2015   #9
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

My family and the people I grew up among have grown the little lime tasting plum tomato that I call Russian Lime, for as long as I can remember. And I am no spring chicken. Being raised as a Dutch Mennonite with cousins who are various combinations of Dutch, German and Russian heritage, the vegetables I grow could have originated from a number of places. At Thanksgiving I will ask if anyone knows where they originally came from or who grew them when and where.
Dutch

Last edited by Dutch; October 1, 2015 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old October 3, 2015   #10
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Well, they do look beautiful Dutch! I love the taste of limes, and a hint of citrus in tomatoes would be quite yummy to my taste buds!

Ginny
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2015   #11
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootgardener View Post
Well, they do look beautiful Dutch! I love the taste of limes, and a hint of citrus in tomatoes would be quite yummy to my taste buds!

Ginny
Ginny, Thanks for the compliment. If you would like seeds to grow either one of them or both next year, PM an address to me and I will mail them out.
Dutch
P.S. Note to others. This is not a general seed offer, so please don't ask. Thanks

Old October 5, 2015   #12
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Please delete. Double post.
Dutch

Old October 5, 2015   #13
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Ginny, Thanks for the compliment. If you would like seeds to grow either one of them or both next year, PM an address to me and I will mail them out.
Dutch
P.S. Note to others. This is not a general seed offer, so please don't ask. Thanks
Thank you Dutch. I have to offer something in a trade in return. Very generous of you. PM sent.

Ginny
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2015   #14
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

The original source of the Russian Lime tomatoes my family grew and I still grow, came from folks with the last name of "Swartout". Their original Dutch name was "Swarthout". Perhaps the "h" was dropped while living in Russia. We said their name as if the "h" was still there.
Dutch

Last edited by Dutch; December 28, 2015 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Spelling Swarthort not Swearthout