Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old January 2, 2016   #151
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpop View Post
Beautiful Marsha. Would love to grow this next season, especially given the weather hurdles this year and it held strong. Any seed sources you or others are aware of that has this currently? Johnny's seeds has it listed but not sure if same variety.

Also, was this the RL or PL version?
This is the Benton strain. I got seeds from Dana by calling Dana's Flowers in Pa. Just google it. I am saving seeds too, seed offer for SASE coming soon.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2016   #152
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Beautiful Marsha. Would love to grow this next season, especially given the weather hurdles this year and it held strong. Any seed sources you or others are aware of that has this currently? Johnny's seeds has it listed but not sure if same variety.

Also, was this the RL or PL version?
Not Marsha, but I just tried finding a commercial source for seeds and the first placeI looked was Dana's, but she only sells plants and you can order the plants from her to be shipped. So at least that's some good news.

But there are many who are still growing it in 2014 and 2015 and check out first the IDIG link and then the Tville link and also Dana's own description of it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Germ..._AUIBigA&dpr=1

Hope that helps a bit.

And yes, Camo got ticked off and refused to send out more seeds of it and he had an an offer in the Seed Forum here at Tville also, before he stopped sending seeds.

I'm glad you are going to offer it marsha, but would it bother you much if I asked at idig who there might still have seeds, and that b'c few here participate at idig now, although many from here have joined over there as well and the reverse.

After reading I can't tell you how many threads about it over the last several years and opinions given, I'm not that convinced of it being superior but I haven't grown it myself and compared it in the same season with the two other GJ ones, the RL and PL, so just my own opinion until I see some comparative grow outs.,

Carolyn
Old January 2, 2016   #153
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
This is the Benton strain. I got seeds from Dana by calling Dana's Flowers in Pa. Just google it. I am saving seeds too, seed offer for SASE coming soon.
Interesting b/c I was just at her site, but now I do remember that it was said if you used the code word Camo or something similar you could get seeds instead of plants.

Marsha, I have a vague memory that it was you who got the seeds from Dana and posted about it somewhere here.

Right?

Carolyn
Old January 2, 2016   #154
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Interesting b/c I was just at her site, but now I do remember that it was said if you used the code word Camo or something similar you could get seeds instead of plants.

Marsha, I have a vague memory that it was you who got the seeds from Dana and posted about it somewhere here.

Right?

Carolyn
Yes, that's right. I just called her and asked, explaining to her that my time of year is winter, when she doesn't have any plants to sell. She gave me 25 seeds for $2 of each, because I wanted GJ-Benton, and Dana's Dusky Rose. She didn't even charge for shipping. I gave her my CC #, and got the seeds about 5 days later. Very nice lady.
Old January 2, 2016   #155
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Asking at Idig would be great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Not Marsha, but I just tried finding a commercial source for seeds and the first placeI looked was Dana's, but she only sells plants and you can order the plants from her to be shipped. So at least that's some good news.

But there are many who are still growing it in 2014 and 2015 and check out first the IDIG link and then the Tville link and also Dana's own description of it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Germ..._AUIBigA&dpr=1

Hope that helps a bit.

And yes, Camo got ticked off and refused to send out more seeds of it and he had an an offer in the Seed Forum here at Tville also, before he stopped sending seeds.

I'm glad you are going to offer it marsha, but would it bother you much if I asked at idig who there might still have seeds, and that b'c few here participate at idig now, although many from here have joined over there as well and the reverse.

After reading I can't tell you how many threads about it over the last several years and opinions given, I'm not that convinced of it being superior but I haven't grown it myself and compared it in the same season with the two other GJ ones, the RL and PL, so just my own opinion until I see some comparative grow outs.,

Carolyn
Old January 2, 2016   #156
jpop
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Carolyn and Marsha for the quick replies. I saw the plants as mentioned earlier on Dana's website, but not seeds which is why I asked regarding the particular plant. I will contact her if she would still offer the seeds and will also look for them in the SASE, thanks.

Lastly, as far as Rebel yell is concerned, are there numerous strains/varieties for this as well or do each seed retailer offer similar, as this is high on my list to grow as well.
jpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2016   #157
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thank you Carolyn and Marsha for the quick replies. I saw the plants as mentioned earlier on Dana's website, but not seeds which is why I asked regarding the particular plant. I will contact her if she would still offer the seeds and will also look for them in the SASE, thanks.

Lastly, as far as Rebel yell is concerned, are there numerous strains/varieties for this as well or do each seed retailer offer similar, as this is high on my list to grow as well.
No, not different strains, they should all be the same, and they are fabulous here, in a good year. Last year I bet I got 40 tomatoes off it, and the taste was like a 9.5/10( I never give a 10!). This year production is much much less.
I am going to pay attention to reports when they say a strong El Nino is expected, and on those years I am going to severely limit the amount of plants I grow. That's my resolution!
Old January 2, 2016   #158
jpop
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
No, not different strains, they should all be the same, and they are fabulous here, in a good year. Last year I bet I got 40 tomatoes off it, and the taste was like a 9.5/10( I never give a 10!). This year production is much much less.
I am going to pay attention to reports when they say a strong El Nino is expected, and on those years I am going to severely limit the amount of plants I grow. That's my resolution!
Great that is the info. I was looking for. Are you going to grow any tomatoes this spring?
jpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2016   #159
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Great that is the info. I was looking for. Are you going to grow any tomatoes this spring?
Only what survives from the fall sowing. Quite a few have, but a lot have perished too.
Old January 3, 2016   #160
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default Wes

I Love this tomato so much. This is my 3rd year growing it. It set lots of fruit all of which got cracks during our most torrential and hottest December ever on record.it doesn't mind heat for fruit set. Now the rains are calmer, weather just today cooled a bit, and I have this perfect guy first up, and the taste is soooo delicious, sweet, tomatoey and very meaty, but a fair amount of seeds to harvest too. Taste 9/10. Loaded with new blossoms and 4 fruit have already set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (141.9 KB, 210 views)
Old January 3, 2016   #161
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default Dana's Dusky Rose

Another of Mike(Camochef's) highly recommended. My seed source was Dana at Dana's Flowers in PA. This has an indet. RL, somewhat bushy growth habit, and a medium fruit production. The flavor is superb, meaty, not much seeds or gel, very sweet with enough acid to keep it interesting, and that wonderful black tomato flavor. 9.8/10 for flavor on the Marsha scale. It's going to be back!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (159.7 KB, 220 views)
Old January 3, 2016   #162
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Cut fruit- look at the color!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (194.8 KB, 219 views)
Old January 3, 2016   #163
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

Wow...
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2016   #164
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

Wow indeed.
Zenbaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2016   #165
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I Love this tomato so much. This is my 3rd year growing it. It set lots of fruit all of which got cracks during our most torrential and hottest December ever on record.it doesn't mind heat for fruit set. Now the rains are calmer, weather just today cooled a bit, and I have this perfect guy first up, and the taste is soooo delicious, sweet, tomatoey and very meaty, but a fair amount of seeds to harvest too. Taste 9/10. Loaded with new blossoms and 4 fruit have already set.
You can't believehow much I love Wes, soI'll link to Tania's page to show that not only was I the first person who introduced it via an SSE listing spread it around everywhere back in 2005,my seeds from Robert Richarson, now deceased.

Of course there are other red hearts I also love, I'm a heart person at heart, but this one would be in my top 2 or three and a blunt heart at that,not a pointy one.

Carolyn