Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 8, 2016   #1
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Containers up an incline

I have a question. To be able to have more plants I am clearing an area that has a good size slope. Leveling out land and making stair steps up the incline is not an option.

I was wondering if this would work or not?

I was going to make a wooden framed beds. Fill the bottom with some good gardening soil as the ground underneath has a very low pH, plus I have hundreds of huge tree roots.

I was wondering if I put a foot of soil in the bottom, put in my containers of tomatoes and then fill the rest of the way up with mulch would work? I know the mulch will help to keep the roots cooler, but will so much mulch cause fungal problems later in the season when we have our high temps and high humidity?

Also another thought I had when considering doing this is with the run off water coming down the hill when it rains. Will the water seep from one bed down into the other and possibly rot the roots of those beds at the bottom of the incline?

I am just not sure how to do this. I do know that going up the incline with my containers will allow me to grow more plants. Can never have to many tomatoes and peppers growing.

I am open to any suggestions folks might have. If we have any warmth and sun tomorrow, I'll try and get a picture of the area I am trying to rake and clear to put the containers.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2016   #2
JoParrott

Can you post a photo so we can get an idea of the area?
Old February 8, 2016   #3
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I'm not much help with runoff, but the tree roots are from trees long past, hopefully. Layering a foot of soil on top of live tree roots will smother the tree. Feeder roots are very important to supply oxygen to the tree.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2016   #4
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Fudge.... Went finally let up enough to try and go out and take a pic and batteries are dead. I will definitely get some pics, just will have to wait a couple of days to get to store for more batteries.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote