Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 21, 2016   #1
Ozark
Tomatovillian™

Default New Seed Starting Technique

I did a germination test of Sweet Ozark Orange seeds recently (the ones I'm sending out to folks) and got good results. Rather than discard the best of the little germinated seedlings at the end, I transplanted 12 of them into Jiffy Mix in egg carton cells.

Those were the smallest transplants I've ever moved, and IT WORKED. I carefully picked up each sprouted seed on the point of my pocket knife, moved it to a 1/4" deep hole poked in the damp Jiffy Mix, then gently covered the seed. All 12 seedlings were up and looking good the next day, though they're getting a little leggy now - I need to get them under lights.

I think I'm onto something - sprouting tomato and pepper seeds that were kept in the dark in our furnace closet at 78 degrees in a folded, damp paper towel, then moving into starter mix ONLY seeds that are already growing. No empty cells that way from seeds that fail to sprout, and no cells with multiple seedlings that need to be culled or moved, either. There's much more control of the process this way, and I like it!
Ozark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2016   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark View Post
I did a germination test of Sweet Ozark Orange seeds recently (the ones I'm sending out to folks) and got good results. Rather than discard the best of the little germinated seedlings at the end, I transplanted 12 of them into Jiffy Mix in egg carton cells.

Those were the smallest transplants I've ever moved, and IT WORKED. I carefully picked up each sprouted seed on the point of my pocket knife, moved it to a 1/4" deep hole poked in the damp Jiffy Mix, then gently covered the seed. All 12 seedlings were up and looking good the next day, though they're getting a little leggy now - I need to get them under lights.

I think I'm onto something - sprouting tomato and pepper seeds that were kept in the dark in our furnace closet at 78 degrees in a folded, damp paper towel, then moving into starter mix ONLY seeds that are already growing. No empty cells that way from seeds that fail to sprout, and no cells with multiple seedlings that need to be culled or moved, either. There's much more control of the process this way, and I like it!
Im glad you discovered this and it does work.

I cannot tell you how may 1000's of seeds I have done this with mostly okra seeds.

I would use one of the fancy Wipe All towels get it wet lay seeds in it and put them next to the furnace just like you did.
Another method with them was to put them 100's in an aluminum baking pan and pour water on them just enough to cover.

When they grew legs I would put them in the garden and off they would go.
My left overs yet 100's I gave to my brother and he drove 100 miles north and planted them and they grew.
Growing up this is how we started seeds.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2016   #3
Ozark
Tomatovillian™

Worth, this method would be especially good for starting okra seeds, all right. They can be difficult, and I usually put them in water for a day or two before planting them directly into the ground.

I'm anxious to try this with pepper seeds. They're often slow to germinate, and I think I'll have a lot more control if I start them in paper towels, then transfer to cells only seeds that are already sprouted.
Ozark is offline   Reply With Quote