Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 18, 2016   #1
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Default Hours of light with T5 HO lights

Ok so I need advice. Last year I invested in the Sunblaster grow light kit with the T5 HO lights. They're great but I had them on for 18 hours which was way too long and they got quite tall fast. So this year I'm starting seeds a bit later-first week of April and I want to know what you think is an optimum amount. I know between 14-16. They will be in a room with good light but they will not be exposed to any direct sunlight. Any advice would be helpful. One kit is 4 ft with 3 bulbs. The othe is 3 ft with 3 bulbs. I was considering adding another bulb to each. Im hoping to have maximum 60 pots - 4".
Thanks Sharon
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #2
Pappi
Tomatovillian™

I tend to stick with 16/8 on/off. I've went an hour either way in increments. But 16 seams to work right for me, never more. Keep in mind heat when adding more tubes. Don't want them getting leggy. I'm sure others will be by with what works for them as well.

Pappi
Pappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2016   #3
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Sharon, there's been a lot of discussion on this. The jury is hung up because there's no one good answer. I personally use the 16/8 schedule. Aero Gardens used 17/7. Some local greenhouses use whatever nature gives them. There were some folks who turned the lights on and didn't turn them off. All had success with what they did. So, who has the best schedule?

I say everybody has what pleases them and makes their system work. I know that green foliage plants need sunlight to perform photosynthesis. And then they need water to turn that energy into growth and fruit. I think they need darkness to do the latter - just like the real world.

Hope this helps you make your decision on this important issue.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2016   #4
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Pappi and Ted - I'm leaning towards 16 hours - I initially thought about 14 hours, but honestly with the short season here, I think 16 hours is necessary. That and not starting them too soon. I will say the T5 lights have changed my life though! Great investment IMO.
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote