Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 16, 2016   #1
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Default Is Dwarf Mr. Snow a slower germinator than most?

I'm noticing that my Dwarf Mr. Snow seeds are really lagging behind all my other tomato seeds in germinating. Other seeds from the same source (Victory) and other sources are right on schedule and doing great. I no doubt just need to be patient but was just curious whether it's a known characteristic for DMS to be a slow starter or whether others have noticed the same thing.

EDITED TO ADD: Just as a side note, I was shocked to find Brad Gates' Black Beauty popping out radicles after just 24 hours. Is that common? Due to genetics? Seed freshness (as a new offering, I assume the seeds might have a chance of being much fresher than other varieties).

Last edited by gorbelly; March 16, 2016 at 12:32 PM.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2016   #2
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

My Dwarf Snow were just like the other Dwarf varieties I sowed, 3-5 days and they were older seed than some of the other ones I planted. On the contrary, my Black Beauty seeds took a little longer, looked weak once they sprouted, and I got poor germination overall. Same goes for his Secret Sauce offering that was a new release as well. Go figure.
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2016   #3
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Mine came up fast.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2016   #4
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

I just wanted to correct my first post. Black Beauty didn't actually germinate that quickly. The seeds were poorly cleaned or something, or maybe just surrounded by more fibrous tissue than most tomato seeds, and the rehydration of that matter made it look like radicles were emerging when I held the paper towel up to the light (I start germination on paper towels). When I opened the paper towel to get a better look the next day, I saw my mistake. Somewhat consistent with Hunt-Grow-Cook, the germination that finally did happen took about two days longer than the other varieties in that batch, and the radicles do appear finer and less robust than is normal for tomato seeds that size.

Dwarf Mr. Snow did indeed germinate just fine, but about two days later than the other tomato varieties in that batch. They are catching up now that everyone is in starter pots and has cotyledons, though.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote