Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 25, 2016   #1
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Default Melon Cross-Polination ?

I have cucumber, spaghetti squash, and cantaloupe (two diff variety of 'loupe). Ppl always tell me they will cross-pollinate, but then I hear otherwise - that it is highly doubtful.

Yes, the seed likely will be effected. But I start from new seed.

Common sense says there isn't much difference if grown close by (10 ft), or much further (30-50ft).

I have avoided planting in same area (close proximity) due to previous "advice," but then it hit me, "doh?"

Yes, I'm still toying with the arrangement of the melons this year; but have got a couple places circled in my noggin' - but wanted to be sure there was no possibility of cross-pollination being a problem.

thx
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2016   #2
joseph
Tomatovillian™

If you are not saving seeds, then it doesn't matter if they cross. Any crosses would only affect the seed, but not this year's fruits.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2016   #3
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the affirmation Joseph. The "advice" came from a master gardener that ensured me I could not plant in close proximately. The fruit would look like an alien's baby.

So w/ that bit of wisdom, I planted like associated on opposite sides of the garden (thinking that would help). LOL
Old March 25, 2016   #4
ilex
Tomatovillian™

Only the cantaloupes will cross between each other.

Note that armenian cucs are really melons and will cross with other melons. Normal cucs won't
ilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2016   #5
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

As Ilext sad, Cantaloupe wont cross with squash and cucumbers.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2016   #6
Rockandrollin
Tomatovillian™

Been saving melon seed since 2013 crop. Don't remember any irregularities in 2014. However in 2015 had a couple cantaloupe/muskmelon that had crossed with honeydew, looked like the normal cantaloupe netting on the outside with green flesh and tasted like both. Also had a few that were crosses between my favorite cantaloupe and a giant variety, they were good tasting and the size of a basket ball. Guess I had hybrids of hybrids. This year I bought the original seed again, although it would be cool if I could get the big melon cross stabilized.
Rockandrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2016   #7
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

interesting, was wondering if taste was an issue. really DO want to plant the two canteloupe varieties in same scene. one is a hale's, the other an early variety.

would planting those two be a big no-no?

I simply just don't unlimited space at this time.........
Old March 26, 2016   #8
Rockandrollin
Tomatovillian™

No problem. Only the seeds will be affected.
Rockandrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2016   #9
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Foot Smells View Post
Thanks for the affirmation Joseph. The "advice" came from a master gardener that ensured me I could not plant in close proximately. The fruit would look like an alien's baby.
Being a "Master Gardener" is about a lot of things, but low-level biological knowledge isn't necessarily one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Foot Smells View Post
interesting, was wondering if taste was an issue. really DO want to plant the two canteloupe varieties in same scene. one is a hale's, the other an early variety.

would planting those two be a big no-no?

I simply just don't unlimited space at this time.........
Go for it. The fruit won't be affected at all. The only issue I could think of might be that one variety would grow much faster than the other, resulting in less production of the slower growing variety.

If you do decide to save seeds, you may end up with a new cross... which could be the start of you selecting your very own melon variety.