Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old April 3, 2016   #31
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Have just started Matador and New Zealand spinach seeds in greenhouse as a future tomato companion plus some Matador outside.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2016   #32
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

I like Tyee, it is less likely to bolt in the summer, I can grow it all year round also Renegade is reliable n the summer. I can grow both these under cover through the winter as well.
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2016   #33
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Spinach frustrates me. I have started at least 50 seeds in different plantings and so far I have seven measly sprouts; same results last year. Some day I may learn what I am doing wrong.

Jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2016   #34
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppero View Post
Spinach frustrates me. I have started at least 50 seeds in different plantings and so far I have seven measly sprouts; same results last year. Some day I may learn what I am doing wrong.

Jon
I don't know what your temperatures are there, but spinach likes to be started while it is still rather cool. The 50's have always worked quite well for me. Try starting your seed as soon as the soil can be worked, they will germinate when they are ready. If I try for a later crop my seeds usually fail due to what I believe are the higher temperatures.
Old April 8, 2016   #35
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
I don't know what your temperatures are there, but spinach likes to be started while it is still rather cool. The 50's have always worked quite well for me. Try starting your seed as soon as the soil can be worked, they will germinate when they are ready. If I try for a later crop my seeds usually fail due to what I believe are the higher temperatures.
That is right.
Plant it as soon as you can nature will determine when it will sprout.
When you see those cold winter weeds starting to sprout is is time to plant if not sooner.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2016   #36
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Sowed my Space spinach today. Our low is expected to be in the low 20s tonight, but that gets at the point people are saying--when the soil is able to be prepped, get in there and do it! We'll still have a few cool nights in the coming 5 days (lots of lower 30s), but a good warm up will happen by mid/late next week so I'm hoping I timed my planting perfectly. Plus my raised beds dry and warm faster than everything else.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2016   #37
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for answering. I have started some in February, twice in march and once this month. Maybe this month there will be some sprouts..

Jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2016   #38
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Spinach seeds don't keep viable very long so make sure your seed is fresh, Space is also a very good one. Oh and ir may be an old wives tale, but try chilling the seeds in the fridge overnight, it seems to wake up old lettuce seeds.
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote