Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 16, 2016   #1
Captain Neon
Tomatovillian™

Default Transporting Ripe

I will be visiting my sister in a neighbouring state, and her yard is too small to grow her own tomatoes. We are planning to bring her an embarrassment of riches from my own tomatoes. This will be a car trip of approximately 6 hours.

As some are getting ripe tomatoes in warmer locales, I thought now would be a good time to start this discussion even though my trip will not be until early August.

Any suggestions to get ripe tomatoes delivered safely via ground transport: particularly thin-skinned heirloom varieties such as Brandywine?
Captain Neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2016   #2
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Use your ripe ones or process or freeze. Travel with firm pinks picked early. They will ripen while visiting on the counter and in a cool location like garage or basement. I've taken 3-4 crates of toms in blush state for 3 days car travel for a neighbor. (commercial fisherman and get a 20lb case of king crab in trade).

I give them a newspaper crumbled base, then stack three high. Once at my destination, we/he lay them out not touching and keep them cool away from direct sun and bring them up to the kitchen 6-8 at a time to ripen on the counter out of direct sun. That gives a few weeks of perfect toms.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2016   #3
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Like Oakley said, pick them at first blush when they are firm. I use any kind of padding underneath and between them, paper+bubble wrap combo works well for me.

>>> ... and get a 20lb case of king crab in trade.

Seems like a win-win.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2016   #4
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

I thought you can't take produce across state lines? Or is that just California?
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10

Last edited by Deborah; May 16, 2016 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Typo.
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2016   #5
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Produce is not a problem in most NEast states or even up and down the coast. I just crossed into Canada and back and best to understand 'why' certain things are a concern.
Produce being consumed that does not hold soil is fine. Root crops like garlic, onions with roots attached, potatoes...crops that could possible be planted are a big no-no.
Old May 16, 2016   #6
travis
Tomatovillian™

Visit an orchard, or go to your grocer, and ask for salvaged cardboard inserts that cradle apples when they're packed for shipping.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2016   #7
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Oh, I thought that law applied everywhere. Thanks.
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2016   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
Visit an orchard, or go to your grocer, and ask for salvaged cardboard inserts that cradle apples when they're packed for shipping.
Good idea,and whatever you do or how you do it be sure to have only ONE layer of fruits, and yes,not fully ripes, and IMO best also to remove any stems.

When I was selling fruits at a local nursery I used those common trays about 22 inches by whatever,and never piled more on top.The trunk was full of those trays and so was the back seat.

Carolyn
Old May 16, 2016   #9
MissS
Tomatovillian™

When my grandfather brought tomatoes from Florida up to Illinois to share with us. He packed them in newspaper and put them in liquor boxes that had the cardboard dividers in them. He put the firmest fruit on the bottom and the ripest on top. The tomatoes held up perfectly and fit into their compartments just fine. You do indeed have to remove the tomatoes and spread them out once you have reached you final destination.
Old May 16, 2016   #10
oakley
Tomatovillian™

The heavy duty Costco produce cardboard crates work well if you have access to them.
My mother still uses the ones i packed garden toms and other crops in a few years ago.
That is just a 5 hr trip to the parents.

My 3-4 day trip to Newfoundland when i visit in August does not mind protected and stacked if firm blush. Unpacked and layed out once landed. Space limited when traveling so i use every inch I've even taken corn and bagels. Much appreciated on an island where fresh, semi-fresh is rare.

A few weeks ago i brought up 10lbs of fresh sugar snaps...(should have found room for more)...six nice lobsters at my door the next day. Moose steaks, moose sausage....
Old May 16, 2016   #11
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Beer flats work well, the ones for regular sized cans are usually tall enough to put 1 layer and stack another crate on top w/o it touching the other maters.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heirloom tomatoes , ripe , transportation