Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old May 18, 2016   #1
twillis2252
Tomatovillian™

Default My Tomato Odyssey

Started tomato seeds in SC on March 26 finally completed planting on May 17. In between, I made three trips between Charleston SC and Ashe County NC. Each trip was 650 miles round trip. Total of approximately 1950 miles and these tomato plants accompanied me on each trip. If I add the last leg of the trip returning to NC the total miles are 2275. Had over 100 plants with me. I have attached some photos of the garden. Photos were made last Sunday. Had only planted one row. Yesterday I finished my planting and installing mulch. Too tired go into much detail but wanted to post some pictures of my garden I have potatoes, onions, peas, spinach, radish, and cabbage growing in the background. Also have a healthy crop of horse radish and rhubarb can be seen next to the house.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2295_1.JPG (119.2 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2296_1.JPG (149.9 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2297_1.JPG (125.5 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2298_1.JPG (120.8 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2299_1.JPG (126.6 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2300_1.JPG (130.1 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2301_1.JPG (94.1 KB, 157 views)

Last edited by twillis2252; May 18, 2016 at 05:57 PM.
twillis2252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2016   #2
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Your garden has a beautiful mountain view. Everything looks very nice.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2016   #3
sdambr
Tomatovillian™

That is an awesome garden.

"There are only two ways to live your life: as though nothing is a miracle, or as though everything is a miracle."
Albert Einstein
sdambr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2016   #4
twillis2252
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the nice comments.

This is the second year of planting. Last year I amended the soil by bringing in a load of "Paca Poo" and tilling into the red clay/loam. Brought a smaller load in March and tilled and left idle until planting this week.

If you notice the rock around the perimeter, my wife and I placed rock around the house, driveway etc. We collected rock by the New River which is several hundred yards distance. The past two years we gathered, loaded, unloaded and placed rock on the property. I estimate we moved close to 200K pounds of rock. I used a tractor and trailer to haul the rock from the river to the site. Some of the rock weighed as much as 200lb. Needless to say, it was great exercise and now that warmer weather has returned, will be hauling more rock this Summer.
Old May 19, 2016   #5
Kazedwards
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful garden and scenery. I enjoy using rocks in the garden too. It also makes it easy to deal with them when you find them in the beds. We have s friend that took a lot of those huge 200-400lbs ones that are 2-3' thick 3-4' long and wide and laid them out in a pattern. He ended up with raised beds that were 3' high. It is very cool and looks great.

-Zach
Old May 29, 2016   #6
swellcat
Tomatovillian™

Default Grapes

All that hilliness—I feel like we should be planting grapes with an eye toward wine.

Lovely location.
swellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2016   #7
twillis2252
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by swellcat View Post
All that hilliness—I feel like we should be planting grapes with an eye toward wine.

Lovely location.

Thanks! I have two concord grape vines that I started on my wall behind the house. We are located approximately 50 miles above the Yadkin Valley which is NC wine country.