Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 2, 2007   #31
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

I have little or no clue Tania. I've never had mini heirlooms - the garden raisers in my family were always into the biggest. The only small tomatoes I've had have come from the grocery store.

This is one of two threads right now about minis - someone has invented the most adorable "planter" made out of 2 liter soda bottles. I thought the minis and the planters would make a great project for my homeschoolers. And I would like something tiny enough to go into hanging baskets and window boxes.
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2007   #32
gardenpaws_VA
Tomatovillian™

Interesting thread - I'm in the dwarf project, so sort of have dwarf tomatoes on the brain right now. They'll be much bigger than yours, Tania, but I've found what might be a mini-dwarf among my Marmande seedlings. All the others have normal indeterminate internode distance (about 15-20 mm at this stage of growth), but this one has internodes only about 3-5 mm long!

I'll be watching it to see if it's just a stray seed from a known pot variety, or if it's actually something interesting (and of course, to see if it stays dwarf). If it's related to the Marmande seeds in the same packet, it might bring some good taste into the mini-dwarf range.
gardenpaws_VA is offline   Reply With Quote