Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old January 9, 2017   #1
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Default Any input on this Alaska dry fish fertilizer?

Alaska® by Pennington® Pure Dry Fish Fertilizer 8-5-0

3 lb.
For Colorful Flowers & Blooms

Made with 100% Pure Fish
Dust-Free Pellets—No Mixing
Contains Slow Release Nitrogen

What do you make of this product-they don't feature the fact that it has calcium. I was jumping for joy. I picked 2 bags up for a dollar each at Menards. Comes in a shiny blue (for the sea?) bag. Its a closeout item and I never noticed it before , got the last two. I'll be tickled not to have their liquid product in my nostrils indoors for a week, and to not pay $15.99 for the hydrolyzed equivalent.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017   #2
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Lisa, it is missing K which is the most important element for growing tomatoes, then N, then Ca, MgSO4 then P, they also should have micronutrients too. It may work, but that is my two cents.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2017   #3
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

I think some application early on is okay, but too much nitrogen later on will give you lots of leaves and less flowering. Might need to add some potash maybe. Of course, it also depends on what your soil already have.

Last edited by maxjohnson; January 10, 2017 at 01:32 PM.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2017   #4
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I stopped using fish ferts for seedlings because I get stem rot and pythium from them, which is really my own fault for letting my plants get so cold at night. It would work fine if I didn't let them get below 50F or so.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2017   #5
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Its very odd and possibly a misprint. I stopped in another Menards scoping out deals (it isn't really considering the large bags are actually cheaper for large scale growing). There I bought a bag of Alaska All Purpose reduced to 94cents from $6.98. It's formulation is 6-1-1. I see online stores sell a version that is 6-4-6 with basically the same ingredients in the same order.

I used to buy Fox Farm but its very costly now. I didn't have any troubles with rot, but I wasn't using the cold treatment at that time. Hopefully the house won't get under 50 at night this year!

I've fallen into the too much N situation when I used Espoma Vegetable instead of Tomatoes formulation. They had lots of green for a long time. I was wondering if I'd ever get fruit but it did catch up and produce well. Peppers didn't care - they exploded when it warmed up.

As Mark pointed out, the bags are missing a critical component for plant metabolism, particularly tomatoes. I wonder if its' too slow release for something fast growing like container lettuce.

- Lisa

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; January 10, 2017 at 11:37 PM.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2017   #6
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I stopped using fish ferts for seedlings because I get stem rot and pythium from them, which is really my own fault for letting my plants get so cold at night. It would work fine if I didn't let them get below 50F or so.
Hmm... oddly enough the last 2 years, I had some stem rot as well. Oddly enough the last 2 years are the only 2 years that I ever used fish fertilizer.

I never put 2 and 2 together.
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote