Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old August 16, 2016   #61
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

No Merediana, you're not mad for planning the enxt year ganz am Gegenteil!

Now is the time to make the initial list and... begin the planning.

This year has been .. quite a let down, so rainy and damp (with some occasional warm / hot periods).. I was glad to notice that the weather had not destroyed all flavor.

Amethyst Cream cherry has been a newcomer for me, a nice novelty cherry with a refreshing tangy flavor. I have several rooted branches growing in various containers, it's a prolific bloomer and fruit setter.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2016   #62
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

No Merediana, it's not too early to plan for the next year ganz am Gegenteil..!
Lovely photos!

Our summer has been very damp and cold too, thankfully there were some warm periods as well.

I did enjoy the first Amethyst Cream cherries, it's a nice novelty variety with refreshing tangy flavor. Several rooted branches grow in various containers around my balcony, it's a prolific bloomer and fruit setter.
Old August 16, 2016   #63
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Sorry, double posts..

Just to add that spider mites seemed to love my eggplants so much that I have given up ever growing my own .. The little terrorists made my lovely plant all yellow in a few days.. and no spraying helped. (that was two years ago)

The same goes for ground cherries and tomatillos, they were a spider mite magnet! But I won't give up on them yet - I will be better prepared. Neudorff's organic spray didn't help... But there is one spray that I found effective, it is officially meant for indoor houseplants.. still, it is not toxic to humans and other mammals, and it disintegrates quickly.
Old August 16, 2016   #64
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

Tell me when you find something that really helps Today I got rid of my groundcherries, they were almost dead. But I got a huge harvest from those tiny plants, my eggplants already gave up after 2-3 fruits

Yes, weather here in europe was quite crazy

Maybe Amethyst Cream Cherries flavour suffered because I had to remove a lot of leaves due to a disease? At the beginning of the season the flavor was amazing but it has changed since then.
Merediana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2016   #65
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

The brand Raid (by Johnson & Johnson) ... their insect spray with pyrethrine.
I even sprayed my strawberry with it, and the plant is still alive and blooming...
Old August 16, 2016   #66
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

Ok, Neudorffs Spruzit has the same ingredient, I'll probably try that one next year... This year I used Calypso (Bayer) but beside the fact that it didn't work it's no longer allowed because it wasn't as bee-friendly as they said.

I made a tomato sauce today using Kremser Perle & Candy Sweet Icicle plus a bit of bishop's hat pepper and some fresh herbs. My mom said that this was the best tomato sauce she ever had.
I cut the tomatoes in half, placed them in an oven save skillet with the cut side down and roasted them till the skin started to get black. Then you can just pull off the skin, add the other ingredients and blend it. It wasn't very thick because the tomatoes I've used were quite juicy but still very tasty.
I think this is a nice method for smaller portions of tomato sauce...
Old August 23, 2016   #67
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

Todays harvest! I've been eating tomato sandwiches all day long. Sooo good. Tomorrow I'll make some risotto with fresh herbs and oven roasted cherry tomatoes on top.
We'll now have another week of summer The sudden weather change caused some BER but nothing too bad.

Aaand I passed my english exam with a pretty good grade So happy...
Old December 5, 2016   #68
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

It's always the same, after the harvest I'm exhausted and don't have any interest in gardening for a few months and now in december I'm already excited about the next season

The problem is that my plant out date is mid may
Old January 20, 2017   #69
KimchiMonger
Tomatovillian™

Well, I read through the entire thread. Merediana, thank you for sharing your photos and journey with us. You've inspired me a great deal. Will look forward to working with my potted seedlings this year. Thanks!
KimchiMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2017   #70
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I have read the entire thread too, it is inspiring to see what you have accomplished with the hard weather you encountered. Here is to a great next season for you.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2017   #71
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

Aww thank you very much

So far this season has been quite crazy too. We had a drought which really never happens here. Didn't matter for the tomatoes because they were still inside, but we have horses and well, it's hard when nothing grows on the pasture and we still don't know if we will get enough hay this year. Now it luckily rained a few times.

March was quite hot and then suddenly we got really bad frost and many plants that grew and bloomed early because of the hot weather got damaged. My raspberrys got some damage and those are usually extremly hardy...

My tomatoes got a bit neglected because life just happened - within the last month my dog was close to be dying twice for different reasons - luckily my old girl really wants to live and seems to be making it but obviously I was worried a lot. Plus I'm extremly poor now and my vet should be rich

So far the tomatoes look quite good, I already have baby fruits (official plant out date is mid may). Can't wait for them getting bigger. Just the eggplants look very poorly They got the same treatment as the tomatoes but they are completly sunburnt and have lost almost all of their leaves
Old June 21, 2017   #72
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merediana View Post
Tell me when you find something that really helps.
Kanemite works well. Best used when they are at the beginning. The effect will last for 2-3 weeks maybe. The problem is that those that survived will make resistant descendants, so for spider mites it's really important to alternate. I don't think there is anything that works quite as well though, and theoretically not too toxic. Last year it delayed the invasion by about 1 month, so not too shabby.
Maybe introduce some predatory mites a week after spraying. The problem is the price of those buggers.

This year I'll try to stay on top of them with neem. I watch the leaves, when I see a mite I spray the leaf. Kinda time consuming, but now with the hot weather they will explode so I have to do something.

Last edited by zipcode; June 21, 2017 at 11:09 AM.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017   #73
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

Thank you At the moment I don't have anything to spray on hand but I haven't seen any mites either. I'm watching the eggplants closely and wet the leaves whenever I water them. I've heard that this should help a bit.
Old June 22, 2017   #74
Gin3ll
Tomatovillian™

A newbies second season - for me you are a master pro And I'm in the 2nd year since I tried to grow tomatoes, but I do not have plants as beautiful as you, the difference is that I cultivate them in the ground, and it is not a very good soil ( i try to bring good soil, but it lasts).
Gin3ll is offline   Reply With Quote