Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 28, 2017   #1
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Default Brandywine Cherry PL

We got a late start but we were excited to find out about a Brandywine Cherry PL and wanted to give it a try this year. We planted from seed and moved the biggest seedling to a 5 gallon container this morning in our GH.

If any of you have grown Brandywine Cherry PL please post any info from your experience. We will give an on-going report as we trial Brandywine Cherry PL.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 906%sCNPS4a9UJCZCQ2WoA_thumb_6be8.jpg (345.1 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg Jw6XLGAYSoW3x4MJ4aitaA_thumb_6be9.jpg (387.4 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg ZN7lGWeOSJCQj9FlObv6CQ_thumb_6bee.jpg (216.3 KB, 229 views)

Last edited by Hudson_WY; May 28, 2017 at 10:18 AM.
Hudson_WY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2017   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Hello,
I have an overall preference for potato leaf plants for several reasons. I have grown this variety also from tanias seed and enjoyed it. It produced large rose pink cherries with great flavour, like a full size tomato. Production was moderate, plant was healthy. I have saved and shared seeds of it.

I think pl tomatoes taste better overall, require less water, shade and protect their fruit well and I find in my gardens seem less prone overall to foliage problems. This is why I have been working on creating some of my own new potato leaf cherries in partnership with Marsha. If interested have a look through the "KARMA project" thread.
I am sure you will enjoy your brandywine cherries and maybe you will grow one of mine once they are stable.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2017   #3
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

I bought one tomato plant this year and it was this variety. I grew one called Baby Wine (PL) last year and liked it so I thought I'd give this one a try. It came with aphids but those have been dealt with . Now, waiting... waiting....
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2017   #4
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I grew BrandyWine Cherry Pink (BCP) a few years ago. I bought my seeds from tradewindsfruit.com.

I also bought Brandywine Cherry Dark (BCD) at the same time. BCD was regular leaf.

BCP was not too generous with fruit and was super late. Mine were big cherry toms.

BCD was a super producer and easily set fruit even in June. Most of the fruit was golf ball size with some even larger looking like small beefstakes.

But I grew in hot / humid Florida so our conditions couldn't be more different.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2017   #5
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Here's my review from 2014:

Brandywine Cherry looked divine! Gorgeous prolific pink fruits, but the taste wasn’t there.

It dehydrated well though

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2017   #6
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
I grew BrandyWine Cherry Pink (BCP) a few years ago. I bought my seeds from tradewindsfruit.com.

I also bought Brandywine Cherry Dark (BCD) at the same time. BCD was regular leaf.

BCP was not too generous with fruit and was super late. Mine were big cherry toms.

BCD was a super producer and easily set fruit even in June. Most of the fruit was golf ball size with some even larger looking like small beefstakes.

Barb,

You didnt feed the same way back then as you do now. I'll bet if you re-grew both now with everything you do now, you would get different results wit a lot more productivity

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2018   #7
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Here's my review from 2014:
Brandywine Cherry looked divine! Gorgeous prolific pink fruits, but the taste wasn’t there.
It dehydrated well though
Linda
I want to thank Hudson WY, Barb and Linda for their posts in this thread and Fishergurl (Ginger) who originally gave me my seeds. The quotes along with info from Ginger and the sales material that was available at Trade Winds help me finally identify the source of what I am growing. From what I can see Trade Winds never actually gave the tomato seeds I received from Ginger a name. They referred to it as a "unique cherry tomato" and seemed to catagorize it as Cherry Tomato, Brandywine. Ginger originally called it Cherry Brandywine. Later I find that she referred to it as Brandywine Dark Cherry. I somehow discombobulated this into Brandywine Cherry Dark (BCD). As I have said before and Barb illudes to, it ain't no cherry anymore. What I am growing looks like photos of Black Brandywine but is considerably smaller. I'm going to try to grow Black Brandywine this season and hopefully I get a tomato that I can compare to what currently is BCD.
This thread is a bit old and if I get no responce I will post it over in the Hey Fellow Floriidians - Year 2 thread.

Last edited by Zone9b; September 2, 2018 at 10:47 PM.
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2018   #8
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Hey Larry, I think she might be named Ginny. I'm Marsha, but my username is Ginger(name after my now passed little doggie).
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2018   #9
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Hey Larry, I think she might be named Ginny. I'm Marsha, but my username is Ginger(name after my now passed little doggie).
Marsha,
Thanks you for the correction. I guess i have the same problem with people's names as I do the tomato names I was amazed with your seed offer this year. It's hard for me to even dream how much work that is. Tomatoville is lucky to have a few people like you. Larry
Old March 10, 2019   #10
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

I grew what I call Brandywine Dark side by side with Black Brandywine last fall. To my surprise Brandywine Dark (BD) was easily as large or larger than the Black Brandywine (BB) tomatoes that I grew. Vine size was large and similar for both. Both were regular leaf and both appeared to be a tolerant to modest nematode activity. Color is somewhat different with BD having somewhat less green shoulders and a bit less dark, i.e. a bit more of a red color. The larger BD tomatoes develop much more a an oblong shape (boat shape) than BB. And important to me BD is a much more productive tomato than BB. Also, both my wife and I liked the taste of BD over BB. If anyone would like some Brandywine Dark seeds to try, PM and I will do my best to get them to you. Larry
Old March 11, 2019   #11
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Brandywine dark?? That’s a new one to me. Will the Brandywines ever stop?? Lol
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote