Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 19, 2017   #16
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Nice looking plants, KarenO.
From the previous info (thanks!), I think I'll try Utyonok next season. I'm typically a big fan of orange/gold tomatoes. From previous varieties that I've tried, Tumbling Tom Junior (Yellow) and Tumbling Tiger (Vegetalis) are fairly compact and will "fit" in my coldframe as a very early. TTJ didn't taste very good when it started, but got better. Tumbling Tiger has 360 degree branching, so I will probably add it next spring. It is the most compact "tumbling" type that I've grown. I start all these in February, so they must not outgrow my available space, and that is a big issue with regular hanging basket types.
-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2017   #17
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Thanks, Karen

Stokes has the best prices on Terrenzo that I have found:
http://www.stokeseeds.com/product.as...checkCookies=1
Just ordered a bean i want to try...Burpee has Terenzo right now i.25 for ten seeds.
i even think they have free shipping. Never ordered from them.

Nice looking compact plant karenO !
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2017   #18
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing Hardin's Miniature this year. Wow prolific! Elongated ovals coming to a point. Naturally blue-grey curling foliage (not as curly as Stick, but don't think there's anything wrong if yours curl). I have no idea what they taste like yet, but ChrisK used them in some of his crosses.

http://www.gardenhoard.com/tomato-ha...ure-seeds.html

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2017   #19
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

I like Utyonok too. Mine are yellow to golden orange, but not pointy.

Prolific and good tasting. The only problem is that they spend their whole lives looking like they're ready to die, with the stumpy shape and curled leaves...

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2017   #20
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing Pearly Pink Orange in a maybe one gallon pot and it is fruiting and growing well.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2017   #21
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Pearly Pink Orange cascades & would look pretty in a hanging basket.

Nan
Old June 19, 2017   #22
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
I like Utyonok too. Mine are yellow to golden orange, but not pointy.
I was mistaken. Some of my fruits are pointy. I don't track by plant, but it's possible that some plants are pointy and some aren't.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2017   #23
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I find dwarfs are to stiff to look good in a basket. Also no micro approaches the productivity of a determinate cherry OP or hybrid, not even the MF's. Also the tumblers are much, much earlier. The simple solution to your space issue in your cold frame is to sow them later. Mine was sown April 1 and will soon be producing lots of fruit. And it looks good.

KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2017   #24
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Maglia Rosa might look pretty in a basket. Without support, it falls and weeps a bit. I think if grown in a hanging basket and never staked, it would naturally cascade, although it would do so mostly to one side.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017   #25
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Same planter from earlier photo. Now heavy with fruit.
KarenO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9829.jpg (505.8 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9830.jpg (540.4 KB, 104 views)
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017   #26
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I have now tasted my Hardin's Miniature fruit. It could be grown for taste alone. It tastes like a full-size tomato, not sweet, it's balanced but on the tangy side, a lot of flavor (not mild), complex.

Hardin's Mini is said to be determinate (as to growth) but it sets and ripens fruit over a long period. It grows 6-12" tall, and very bushy. It's loaded with fruit, so very productive for such a small plant. Garden Hoard sells it but their picture doesn't do it justice. Imagine 3x the plant with 6x the fruit.

I highly recommend it. It doesn't tumble, but if unstaked the branches fall to be parallel with the ground. You can stake them upright.

Nan
Old July 16, 2017   #27
dorota
Tomatovillian™

Another possibility is Maskotka (Mascot). Easy to grow, early, determinate, hanging, red, sweet, very tasty, my sons love it.
Last year I had it in a window-box. I think, that Maskotka grows better in the basket, stems can grow freely and cover the basket. I found a description in Tanya's tomatobase .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-07-31 18.45.38.jpg (43.1 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by dorota; July 16, 2017 at 05:31 PM.
dorota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2017   #28
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

I had similiar idea last year, planted them along side of a tall raised bed, hoping they will hang down. They were floppy but still tried to stand up, so awkward shapes, I had to lift some branches up and stake them in the end.
A big hanging basket with 3 MR may work, they do tend to flop to one side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorbelly View Post
Maglia Rosa might look pretty in a basket. Without support, it falls and weeps a bit. I think if grown in a hanging basket and never staked, it would naturally cascade, although it would do so mostly to one side.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2017   #29
swamper
Tomatovillian™

I like utnayok for it's earliness, compact plant, and size of fruit. The flavor could be a lot more intense, but there is a subtle fruitiness. It could also use more disease resistance, but so could most of the micros minis and dwarfs I've tried. Mine ripen yellow-orange which I assume is a tangerine-gene type. Mine have points but not as pronounced as zipcode's. Seed source was http://www.sampleseeds.com/

Betime's Macbeth is very good. So is Maskotka, and Beaverlodge Plum is worth a try. I like Vilma in the micro category, but don't have a lot of use for the tiny cherries.

I'd be interested in an op version of Terenzo. I'll add the f1 to my list for next year.

Last edited by swamper; July 24, 2017 at 08:35 AM.
swamper is offline   Reply With Quote