Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 14, 2017   #931
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Haven't had any rain although we are supposed to get some.

Another one of those 105 to 109 degrees heat index days. Right now it's 79 degrees and 84% humidity out there. Haven't gone out to water yet and am sure it will get hotter by the time I do.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017   #932
bower
Tomatovillian™

There isn't a peck of rain in our forecast for the ten day. Temps close to 70 F or above except for one day when the wind swings northerly.

Night time lows here have dropped a bit, they are nominally low 50's but the dewpoint has been in the 40's due to cooling winds. Outdoor tomatoes don't seem to be minding it all the same. I'm thankful for my deep well as I always have the option to water everything if the dry weather continues.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017   #933
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

We are getting light to moderate rain this morning. Maybe 1/4" at most and it is still coming down. Radar shows it is about over with more in a few hours. This time of year we will take it. It is common for lawns to be burnt up by now, but this year everything is thick, lush and green requiring mowing every 4-5 days. But it sure has reeked havoc on my tomato plants. Worst year I have had so far.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017   #934
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I don't want to jinx myself, but the weather here has been almost perfect...

...so far.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017   #935
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
I don't want to jinx myself, but the weather here has been almost perfect...

...so far.

You're not the only one feeling that way. I keep waiting for the shoe to drop.

Usually by now I'm waiting for the second shoe to drop...
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017   #936
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

I feel the same way - thankful I can water ( i have to pay the city) but still i can water, but dragging the hoses.............yuk!
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017   #937
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
There isn't a peck of rain in our forecast for the ten day. Temps close to 70 F or above except for one day when the wind swings northerly.

Night time lows here have dropped a bit, they are nominally low 50's but the dewpoint has been in the 40's due to cooling winds. Outdoor tomatoes don't seem to be minding it all the same. I'm thankful for my deep well as I always have the option to water everything if the dry weather continues.
Gorgeous weather. Wind died down today on the BonavistaPennisula. Capelin in, pushed
by the whales breeching in shallow waters in EnglishHarbour. Dozens of people
at sunset watching in awe.

Amazing creatures of the sea.

Yes, need to get frugal with the water. A luxury most of the year but a week of no rain
is dry wells here in Newfoundland. (we have rain barrels but the taps were open and
emptied...oops)

We have a hand dug basement well as a back-up to the artisan so we can switch back
and forth and monitor thankfully. Neighbors store their root crops down there. We have
a rare here true basement larder/root cellar.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017   #938
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

We ended up getting an inch of rain this morning. Then the sun came out and warmed to the upper 80's, but the humidity was thick. Right now at 9p it is 81f/ 81 humidity. Still sticky!
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017   #939
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It was 100 today, and all of my going in-and-out of the house painting doors and other stuff made it get hot inside. Here it is 9pm and it is 83 degrees in our living-room where we are sleeping because we're fixing up the main bedroom - where it is much cooler.

There's one good thing about having an empty nest - in the house, clothing can be optional
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017   #940
imp
Tomatovillian™

Thank goodness, it is raining here! Dropped the temps and with the wind, it is so nice I've opened the windows and doors to let the fresh air sweep through.

Smells so good, too. Lots of sound effects to go along with the rain, but that is okay too.

Guess I won't be watering the next few days, except the porch plants. I am tickled to get rain in such a timely fashion. So far, only watered my tomatoes 2x this year , plus the deep mulch really makes a difference in retaining moisture but allowing good drainage.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017   #941
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I wish we could get some good rain here. We finally got some sprinkling earlier but that's gone too. It won't be long before I am pulling all the tomatoes because it's too hot and they aren't going to set anymore for me.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old July 16, 2017   #942
imp
Tomatovillian™

What about fall tomato crop?

The rain lasted a bit more than an hour, but it filled my rain barrel up again ( was down 1/3) and gave a good soaking rain all the while. The air is back on now that the wind died down and the humidity jumped way up.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017   #943
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
I wish we could get some good rain here. We finally got some sprinkling earlier but that's gone too. It won't be long before I am pulling all the tomatoes because it's too hot and they aren't going to set anymore for me.
Just for you I trimmed the mortgage lifter and am taking care of it.
The thing keeps dropping blooms like crazy.
when it cools off it will set fruit and no they wont get ripe before the cold sets in.
But from experience any green fruit will turn in the house if you give it enough time.

Last night it was in the 70's before the sun went down but the air was saturated.
Right now it is 72F humidity 93%
Most of the time it is in the 90's even at 10:00PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017   #944
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

It's 75 degrees and 88% humidity out there right now and it feels great. I just took more cuttings from the husky cherry and some from my Homestead plants for fall crop and to give away to others.

Worth, I have some ML seeds to sow, when should I be doing that? I hope you get a great crop before winter sets in up there. Here, if I cover in the cold, I can get tomatoes all winter.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old July 16, 2017   #945
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

It would be too late for me but for you I would sow right now.
Even if I could figure out a way to keep the soil warm I could grow all winter.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote