Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 13, 2017   #1
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Default fish lake oxheart

AAAggghhh!!!! My Fish Lake Oxheart is growing a bland ugly salad sized something. Second year this batch of seeds grew NOT FISH LAKE. Next February it is start all over with a new source. I hate it when this stuff happens.
Old July 13, 2017   #2
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

That's a shame fish is a beauty, due for return to my limited space in 2018.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2017   #3
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I will check tonight, I may still have some from my original purchase a few years back and they grew true. If so I'll be happy to send you some.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2017   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
AAAggghhh!!!! My Fish Lake Oxheart is growing a bland ugly salad sized something. Second year this batch of seeds grew NOT FISH LAKE. Next February it is start all over with a new source. I hate it when this stuff happens.
What was the source of the seeds that gave you not what you expected? Commercial vendor or a trade situation, seed offer,etc.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Fish_Lake_Oxheart

Please note from the above that I got seeds for it from Neil in Canada, distributed some seeds and what some got were pink fruits, not red. Tania suggested that some didn't see colors as they should, but several I sent to did check the epi situation as I just posted in another thread.

I asked Neil for more seeds and again,either red or pink.

No difference in shape,whether red or pink,nor taste, just color.

Carolyn
Old July 13, 2017   #5
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Sorry to hear that, it's a delicious one. Hopefully the one you have has a good flavor, at least, if not the looks..Surprises happen.

My much-anticipated Cosmonaut Volkov this year turned out to be, not at all as described, but something oval, almost banana-shaped.. which actually is more fun, of the taste factor is there.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017   #6
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Paul, the Fish Lake Oxheart I grew were from Victory and were pink and tasty. It looks like I still have some seed PM me if you want me to send you some.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017   #7
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn: I do not remember where the seed came from originally, but there were a couple of years of perfect production. I saved seeds and must have gotten an accidental cross or an error on my part somewhere along the line. I will replenish with good seed.

Linda: Thank you for the offer. I will try to purchase from Victory or another seller if I can. If I can't find a source, I will PM you. Thanks.

After reading Tatianna's experience that different plants from the same seed source gave her an oxheart and a small oval, maybe that is what happened to me. I will try again from a new batch next year.

Last edited by PaulF; July 14, 2017 at 05:20 PM.
PaulF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017   #8
Jonnyhat
Tomatovillian™

i got some from the swap and they are just starting to blush... cant wait and sorry for your troubles. I will make sure to save seed this year.

On a side note I only grew 1 variety of cherries but ended up with a small red oval at my garden as well...
Jonnyhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2017   #9
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I trial Fish Lake Oxheart from a different source each year, hoping to find the elusive red one. This year my plant has one flower truss with about 50 flowers on it. The tips on the truss have leaves, which I don't recall ever seeing. A strange plant, which just might not be FLO.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2017   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
I trial Fish Lake Oxheart from a different source each year, hoping to find the elusive red one. This year my plant has one flower truss with about 50 flowers on it. The tips on the truss have leaves, which I don't recall ever seeing. A strange plant, which just might not be FLO.
Gary,as I noted above if you get a plant with red fruits, save seeds,sow them out you'll get plants with either pink or red fruits,that's just the way it is,it flips flops.Save seeds from the pink,you get plants with either red or pink.

There was another variety that flip flopped for me but the issue there was RL vs PL leaves.

One truss has 50 blossoms?It doesn't sound to me like Fish Lake Oxheart, and as Tania said,see again,her link

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Fish_Lake_Oxheart

Just checking the stupid 2017 SSE Yearbook and a good friend is listing it in the RED section and says the fruits are PINK

My seeds were from Neil in Canada, the original source, TWICE, I'm pretty sure I offered it in a seed offer here,yes,I did,I now remember since I thought I was distributing seed for the red,but the first person to get ripe fruits said hers were pink,so I contacted Neil again,and same thing the next summer.

So I think it's just best, based on the experience of others,that it's doubtful there will be a permanent stable red, but it doesn't really matter IMO since epi color notwithstanding,the red and pink ones are the same.

Carolyn
Old July 20, 2017   #11
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I got seeds from you for FLO and the tomatoes were pink. But a fabulous tomato!