Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 6, 2017   #241
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Posted by Gorbelly

(Galina's for me up until now was just sour. Bland and watery-tasting, and one-note--that note being just sour. No richness. No savoryness. Just bland and sour. Not even enough oomph to qualify as tart or bright or acidic.)

&&&&&&&

Galina's Yellow has always been one of my fave cherries, and not just b/c it gave rise to the variety Dr.Carolyn,which I did not name.

Here's some others who also like it,please note the dates of these which one could find in a search here or by Googling.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Galina%27s_Yellow

https://www.google.com/search?q=Gali...&bih=790&dpr=1

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44965

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=7746

Carolyn
Old August 6, 2017   #242
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

I'm very aware of its excellent reputation--that's why I gave it space in my extremely limited-space garden. I'm sure it's been great for many other people in their gardens. It just wasn't so in mine. There's no variety that's always going to taste great for everyone.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2017   #243
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorbelly View Post
The recent ones I picked are getting a little more well-rounded in flavor but still very mild. I don't like mild cherries.

But, Linda, I hear it shines and gets really good late in the season when it's cooler and other tomatoes are going downhill in flavor. I'll let you know whether that's the case, because if so, it might be a good one to try in a cooler area like yours. I'll keep you updated, and I'm also happy to share seed if you decide you want to try it after all.

EDIT: It's also possible it just doesn't like my garden.

We're probably having a shared vocabulary points of reference issue.

I like tart tomatoes, i.e., tomatoes in which the acidity takes a front seat in the flavor profile, just fine. They definitely have their place, and I like to grow a variety of tomatoes on the sweet<->tart spectrum.

Galina's for me up until now was just sour. Bland and watery-tasting, and one-note--that note being just sour. No richness. No savoryness. Just bland and sour. Not even enough oomph to qualify as tart or bright or acidic.

It's starting to improve and get a little more well-rounded and savory, but so far not enough to make me want to grow it again.
Thanks Gorbelly, I'd be most interested to hear what you think of it later in the season

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2017   #244
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Peppers: Stocky Golden Roaster vs Golden Treasures

This one is too close to call. Both of them are the sweetest yellow peppers I have ever grown. I think Golden Treasures probably yields more.

Ajvarksi Sweet vs Sweetest Pepper is a similar tie. I can't tell them apart, flavor-wise. But they are the sweetest red peppers I have ever grown.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2017   #245
MuddyToes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorbelly View Post
In that case, Prue vs. Wes it is, even if Prue isn't strictly a heart. Neither your recommendations nor Craig L's have steered me wrong thus far.
I've never grown Prue though the description sounds a lot like my Amish Paste seed stock. Not all were heart-shaped, large variation in size of fruit, and flavor was excellent. It was very prone to disease two years in a row which is why I tried 3 other hearts this year side-by-side. This post makes me Want to try Prue and Amish Paste side-by-side next year.

I grew Wes, Mayo's delight and Russian 117 in my raised bed this year. All had amazing production but Wes grew into a monster plant. All produced very large fruit that I learned early in the season have to be tied on to the vine, otherwise they fell off under their own weight before ripening. I didn't care for that very much. I doubt if I could tell one tomato from another taste-wise.
MuddyToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2017   #246
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Prue- consistently larger fruit and better taste than Amish Paste (in my garden).
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2017   #247
MuddyToes
Tomatovillian™

Default Good to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Prue- consistently larger fruit and better taste than Amish Paste (in my garden).
I will have to get hold of some Prue seeds
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old August 9, 2017   #248
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

I grew Galina's before, and found it to be bland.
That said, many people rave about Black Berry, which I also found to be late, bland, and thick-skinned. Tried different seed sources. Guess it is our climate.
Sungold, however, is always great.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2017   #249
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyToes View Post
I will have to get hold of some Prue seeds
Thanks for sharing your experience.
If you want to do a "versus" with Prue, I have some seeds of Amish Paste (Scarzini strain). It's said to grow larger than AP, and to have more of the Prue shape(s).
Old August 11, 2017   #250
MuddyToes
Tomatovillian™

Default I will pm you

Quote:
If you want to do a "versus" with Prue, I have some seeds of Amish Paste (Scarzini strain). It's said to grow larger than AP, and to have more of the Prue shape(s).
Old August 11, 2017   #251
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Default Brandywine from Croatia vs Earl's Faux

Brandywine from Croatia planted between 2 Earl's Faux. EF was earlier much more productive and tasted better. EF was more uniform in shape and had no green shoulders when ripe, some of BFO had partial green shoulders.

In fact Earl's Faux is a super productive tomato. Will put Dester up against Earl's Faux next year.

This wasn't even close although BFC is a good tomato, EF is superior IMO.

It was about as close as the 1973 Belmont Stakes with the great Secretariat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V18ui3Rtjz4
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2017   #252
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Gary I knew exactly who you were referring to when you refered to Mark Scarizini. He lived near Chuck Wyatt in MD and sold seeds, many of which he got from Chuck. Chuck died in June of 2002 so we're going back quite a bit. But as Chuck's medical condition got worse and worse,Mark would help out.

I searched and searched via Google for info and finally came up with this,and some surprises here for you IMO.

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?p=526922

Carolyn
Old August 11, 2017   #253
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Gary I knew exactly who you were referring to when you refered to Mark Scarizini. He lived near Chuck Wyatt in MD and sold seeds, many of which he got from Chuck. Chuck died in June of 2002 so we're going back quite a bit. But as Chuck's medical condition got worse and worse,Mark would help out.

I searched and searched via Google for info and finally came up with this,and some surprises here for you IMO.

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?p=526922

Carolyn
Carolyn,

Yes I remember that post. When you did a search for him as a possible member, here, did you type in my misspelling of his name?
Old August 11, 2017   #254
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Carolyn,

Yes I remember that post. When you did a search for him as a possible member, here, did you type in my misspelling of his name?
When one does a search of the membership here as I just did,user names,not real names, are listed alphabetically, and there was nothing even close to Scarizini and I wouldn't expect to see Scarizini as a user name..

You don't enter names to the membership list.

Carolyn,who was going to check if he was ever an SSE member but that's not high on her priority list.
Old August 11, 2017   #255
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Margaret Curtain vs Black Krim.

Margaret Curtain by a mile. Many more Black Krim fruits that were smaller, but the Margaret Curtains have been juicier and more flavorful.
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote