Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 3, 2017   #1486
imp
Tomatovillian™

Always love the pictures, Bower, thank you for posting them.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2017   #1487
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Always love the pictures, Bower, thank you for posting them.
You're welcome. Since my gardening was moosily interrupted it seemed like the best thing to do... chase the buggers with a camera.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2017   #1488
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
It must be so nice to live where there is still some wildness. Thanks for the pics.

You think that's a cow and her yearling?
It was a mother and two yearlings. The little ones were running around together, but I spotted the mom afterwards, in the woods near by. I believe that's her on the right. Camo. The missus mooses come to my garden to chow down the evening primroses every fall, now. They found em four or five years ago, and decided that was the thing they wanted after birthing their wee ones.
Took a nosh out of the black currants as well.
Animals are surprisingly clever about knowing what medicine they want.

I'll be happy if they don't trample my newly planted garlic beds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mooses-nov3.JPG (396.7 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by bower; November 3, 2017 at 06:46 PM. Reason: missed the pic
Old November 4, 2017   #1489
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It was record hot again today 90F. The ACs are on again - it's November... Time for the heater not the AC.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017   #1490
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

got about 6 inches of snow overnight, another 3 or so falling tonight. winter storm warning in effect until 7am friday. gusts up to 40mph created some visibility problems. roads are ICEY. the high temp was 14 degrees. most of october was unseasonably warm here. the last week of the month, the weather just went off the cliff, kinda caught me off guard. got the plow on the truck, cinder blocks in the bed for counter weight, get the wood stacked, and brought in, stake the edges of our long drive way so we can move snow, and not get in trouble, get the hose in the barn, and anything else that you otherwise won't find till spring. get the snow scoop out of the barn for pushing snow.
find the box of winter wear, with extra gloves, wind pants, and the shirt my wife likes to wear while blowing snow with the tractor.
what the heck???????

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017   #1491
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

It's -1F right now as I write. The low for tonight has been changed to -9F, which is -23C for most of the world. I just brought in my dormant begonia pots and dahlia roots, apples and onions from our attached unheated garage for the night. Hoping to keep them out there for another month, but not chancing that it won't freeze in there tonight. Warming trend in about a day!

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017   #1492
bower
Tomatovillian™

The warmer-than-normal fall is seductive for sure - and then when it drops below normal it's a major shock. The past sunday night we plummeted to -7 C (not sure what the windchill went to but it was NW gusting to 60 kph iirc so a bit colder than brisk ). That is more of a midwinter temperature for us, but now there's no snow on the ground to insulate either. Normal lows for this period are around 1 C, but we've been to the freezing mark or below it more nights than not this week, with highs of only 2-3 C five days out of seven in the forecast. The temperature yo-yo above and below norm is one reason I was glad to pile extra deep mulch on the garlic. Precip also hitting record lows, no idea what kind of snow cover we'll end up with.

@Dee that is horribly cold. Especially in November. We are dismayed to endure -23 C in January or February extremes, which is for sure close to record low temperatures here. In average winters we bottom out at -12 C for no more than 7-14 days in total. It is wet and snowy and unpredictable here but relatively mild with some thaws every month of the year. Continental weather sounds awful to me.
Old November 10, 2017   #1493
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
@Dee that is horribly cold. Especially in November. We are dismayed to endure -23 C in January or February extremes, which is for sure close to record low temperatures here. In average winters we bottom out at -12 C for no more than 7-14 days in total. It is wet and snowy and unpredictable here but relatively mild with some thaws every month of the year. Continental weather sounds awful to me.
Yup, winters are much colder here than on the coasts! We don't have those open seas and warm currents to moderate the temperatures here in the center of the continent. On the up side though, we have beautiful summers, lots of heat and sun and perfect growing conditions most years. Fall is drop dead gorgeous, spring comes late, and winter, well ..... It weeds out the pansies!

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017   #1494
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
Yup, winters are much colder here than on the coasts! We don't have those open seas and warm currents to moderate the temperatures here in the center of the continent. On the up side though, we have beautiful summers, lots of heat and sun and perfect growing conditions most years. Fall is drop dead gorgeous, spring comes late, and winter, well ..... It weeds out the pansies!
I guess it's great if you're into winter sports. Some people hate it that we get so many thaws. I'm not one of them, though. I used to do a lot of snowshoeing and wood cutting in the winter, but now I just shovel.
Old November 10, 2017   #1495
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

1st frost will be tonight.
supposed to be 22 degrees F
I still have 2 pepper plants in the ground.
Debating if I should dig them up or not.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017   #1496
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

The weather over here is seasonally noce.
Night lows in mid 40s and day highs around 70F.
I have very little fall crops but my peppers , okra , couple of tomato plants are doing fine
I have planted my alliums and rye grass ( in vacant patches ) that os doinggreat
I am done with gardening . It is time torelax a bit util another time , another season
That will be around March 2018.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017   #1497
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

It is 22f right now, but expected to drop to 17f overnight. Hello winter...
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2017   #1498
bower
Tomatovillian™

Whoa it is a tad windier than forecast this morning, gusting 93 kph (58 mph). Really glad I put chicken wire over the leaf mulch on my garlic beds - they are staying put! There is one small bed that I didn't find a piece of wire to cover - yep every leaf is gone and scattered. Even the half bag of leaves I had left there has been emptied out and the bag itself is presently clinging to a pole on the other side of the yard. The remaining full and tied up bag of leaves is on its way out the driveway....
This is tree-snapping weather, so I won't be doing anything outdoors until it settles down a bit.
Old November 11, 2017   #1499
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Yes Bower. They call them widow makers. Stay in safe and cosy. That's what winter is for.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2017   #1500
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowingCoastal View Post
Yes Bower. They call them widow makers. Stay in safe and cosy. That's what winter is for.
Yeh... they call em that because men are prone to do manly things when the weather is unfit. A friend of ours, a young man, went out and climbed a tree to saw off branches during hurricane Igor. His excuse? He had to do it, to stop the elderly gent next door from doing the deed! A wonder he didn't wear a cape. I had similar experience with my Dad, trying to stop him from going out in a gale to nail on something that was blowing away. So I think it is a common male madness....
It is down a notch now but will continue gusting 60-70 kph overnight. It also snowed for a bit - tiny flakes like mosquito swarms - that melted on touching the ground. I had a job to do in town this afternoon but postponed that until tomorrow. And lots of work to do here... indoors!