Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 14, 2017   #31
imp
Tomatovillian™

Rick9748,it seems you are pushing too hard. This is also many folks busy time, so you might not get replies as quick as you want.

For myself, I find no real difference in between growing hybrids and heirlooms and treat them the same in my gardens. I usually do not have foliage issues, my weather is drier than many. I also tend to space my plants out more and we usually have more wind around here, so the air flow keeps the plants drier.

My garden has been amended for many years by compost and if my plants look like they need additional fertilizers, I add depending on that need, and mostly use General Hydroponic liquid fertilizers though I grow in ground.

I am mulching heavily with wood chips this year and liking the results in our right at 100 degree days here. I remove any leaves/branches that touch the wood chips, keep the plants tied up and caged.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017   #32
rick9748
Tomatovillian™

You don't have one or two things that you have found that work very well for you.I can sort out the climate and conditions.Wow this is becoming way to complicated.
I am a big believer in the KISS principle.
Don't look to make something complicated.
rick9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017   #33
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick9748 View Post
You don't have one or two things that you have found that work very well for you.I can sort out the climate and conditions.Wow this is becoming way to complicated.
You are not reading well. I gave you what I do which is what you asked for. I use General Hydroponics as needed, pay attention to my plants and keep them tidy and w/o branches touching the ground. Good air flow, heavy mulching.

Is that distilled enough for you?
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017   #34
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

You are going to have to weed out what you need to do to keep your own plants happy in your soil in your climate.
Take Cherokee purple for example you mentioned.
It is a no brainer where I live and I dont have to give it any other treatment than I would anything else.

There is no magic bullet for tomato plants of any kind and you have been given the answers you are looking for.

Some varieties heirloom or not are just garbage as far as I am concerned where I live.
Many here will agree Black Prince is but one of them.
If you find a variety that you have to give that much attention to, move on to something else that does better.
They aren't worth it.
That is what I do.

I have found just as many hybrids that are crap here as I have heirlooms.
Many times the heirlooms do better.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017   #35
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick9748 View Post
It can be very simple, since that is what you are looking for. Just search the internet for University Extension sites and they give you simple factual info on growing tomatoes, including fertilization schedules and disease ID and control. Heirlooms don't take any special care that separates them from hybrids.

You probably won't find what you want here in the distilled form that you are demanding it. Info on message boards fluctuates according to demand and interest in a topic, and much is from personal experience and opinions. Never a guarantee that what works for one will necessarily work for others.

Lots of great ideas and info in the community here, but you have to do a little research yourself, or stick around long enough to find posters who have the same conditions and goals that you do.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2018   #36
rick9748
Tomatovillian™

Here in Lexington I have 10; [3' x 30'] ft. raised beds that have excessive nutrients in each bed.The beds are almost constant compost beds.Totally mulched with 4/5 in. of straw in Summer all plants removed in October and straw tilled under with some added nitrogen.Then all beds are planted in a variety of cover crops; spinach, carrots, tender greens, lettuce or red clover for the Fall/Winter season.March everything not eaten is tilled under for April planting.
Super rich soil but have constant problems keeping foliar disease on plants.If it is not to much to do could you tell me what schedule and what products you use on your tomatoes.I rotate copper and daconil every 10 days.Do you do any foliar feeding and what do you use?Do you have a most liked fertilizer?Many questions , I am sorry.
I did post a 100% stop for curly top leaf virus if you have a problem with that.
Old February 28, 2018   #37
rick9748
Tomatovillian™

Care to share best methods that have worked for you?
Thanks
Rick
Old February 28, 2018   #38
rick9748
Tomatovillian™

Care to share your narrow dozen?
Old February 28, 2018   #39
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like quite the setup you have there! I'm envious. Do you grow for market?

I grow mainly hybrids, but I do throw in 2 or 3 heirlooms every year. They do pretty well most years, but generally don't produce as well as the hybrids, IMO.
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote