Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old April 21, 2018   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by agee12 View Post
Good idea about changing up the type of kale.
I've been trying Premier along with my usual Dwarf Siberian and I'm thinking I like Premier even better. Very productive, nice smooth leaves and nowhere for aphids to hide. Maybe I'll keep Dwarf Siberian for the fall/winter crop and use the Premier for spring planting like I've done this year.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2018   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDawgs View Post
I've been trying Premier along with my usual Dwarf Siberian and I'm thinking I like Premier even better. Very productive, nice smooth leaves and nowhere for aphids to hide. Maybe I'll keep Dwarf Siberian for the fall/winter crop and use the Premier for spring planting like I've done this year.
Glad to hear that Premier is a winner for you because I'm trying it for the first time this year along with Lacinato and Rainbow Lacinato (which were the easiest to clean off the aphids in last year's trial), Dazzling Blue, and Tronchuda, which some call kale and others call cabbage. Hoping for a smooth-leaved winner! The aphids here kept going right up through frost.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2018   #3
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Here's a pic of one of the four Premier kale plants in the garden. I cut a bunch off them about a week ago and they're growing right back. They almost look like collards!

GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2018   #4
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDawgs View Post
Here's a pic of one of the four Premier kale plants in the garden. I cut a bunch off them about a week ago and they're growing right back. They almost look like collards!
Very pretty leaves!
kath is offline   Reply With Quote