Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 13, 2018   #331
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Thank you Imp.

My surgeon says I need to stay out of the heat.
Me, "What about my tomato plants?"
The surgeon replies, "Yes, keep them out of the heat too."

(Not really, but it sounds funny.)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2018   #332
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I am going to need to buy more 4-18-38. I started with the 2.5 lb. combo kit. I ran out of Epsom salt from the kit tonight. The other two bags should finish out the month. So, if you need to water a lot, the 2.5 lb. kit might not make to the end of your growing season.

My first search result brought up an Amazon result, MASTERBLEND 4-18-38 Complete Combo Kit Fertilizer BULK (12.5 Pound Kit) https://www.amazon.com/MASTERBLEND-4.../dp/B0727VTWH5 That's not saying that's what I'm going to buy - it's just the first result.

AKmark has told me that this is not the brand he uses.

I need to look at different sites and brands. Cost is going to be important this time too.

Today was all about going to the doctor for Jan's foot, x-rays of Jan's broken pinky toe ... ouch, and my final fallow-up with the surgeon. My medical expense is covered, but we don't know about Jan's insurance, so money might be tight? I don't know?
Old June 14, 2018   #333
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I should have added in the post above that I am feeding/watering 15 five gallon containers with the 4-18-38... 2.5 lb. combo kit. So if you only have say 10 containers, the smaller kit may be enough?
Old June 14, 2018   #334
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I am going to need to buy more 4-18-38. I started with the 2.5 lb. combo kit. I ran out of Epsom salt from the kit tonight. The other two bags should finish out the month. So, if you need to water a lot, the 2.5 lb. kit might not make to the end of your growing season.

My first search result brought up an Amazon result, MASTERBLEND 4-18-38 Complete Combo Kit Fertilizer BULK (12.5 Pound Kit) https://www.amazon.com/MASTERBLEND-4.../dp/B0727VTWH5 That's not saying that's what I'm going to buy - it's just the first result.

AKmark has told me that this is not the brand he uses.

I need to look at different sites and brands. Cost is going to be important this time too.

Today was all about going to the doctor for Jan's foot, x-rays of Jan's broken pinky toe ... ouch, and my final fallow-up with the surgeon. My medical expense is covered, but we don't know about Jan's insurance, so money might be tight? I don't know?
You happen to know which brand he uses? Or where it is sourced? Paging AkMark! Been following this thread closely. Im doing 5 gal root pouches for tomatoes and 7 gal for peppers. Things are growing quite well, with my current ferts:
https://vitallandscaping.com/product...kelp-0-5-0-17/
https://vitallandscaping.com/product...h-hydrolysate/
https://vitallandscaping.com/product...lement-plants/

Just looking for an added "boost" and this/his feeding regiment sounds like the ticket.
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2018   #335
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

I may be mistaken, but I was under the impression that AKmark uses Chem-Gro which is made by Hydro-Gardens... but I could be wrong.
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2018   #336
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I think Mark uses Chem Gro but Masterblend should be about equal and it's cheaper.
https://hydro-gardens.com/product/to...s-bag-4-18-38/ $58 for 25 lbs

https://www.morgancountyseeds.com/pr...lizer-4-18-38/ $37 for 25 lbs

Buying it 25lbs at a time is the way to go, I bought MB 3 years ago and still have about 10-12 lbs left but I've only used it in dutch buckets.
Old June 14, 2018   #337
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I found it cheaper at the site https://www.powergrowsystems.com/cart
It had $10 of shipping with just the kit at $29.95 (Free shipping $30+) so I added a pack of squash.
Old June 14, 2018   #338
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

That link lost me, I didn't see 25 lbs of either.

Don't buy a kit, they're ripping you off.

Calcium nitrate can be bought at the local stores along with epsom from walmart or any other store. You only need to order the masterblend or chem gro.
Old June 14, 2018   #339
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Rajun, I thought Calcium Nitrate would be easy to find here too, but locally - I didn't find any. What I did get was, "We used to carry it but we don't no more" or "Never heard of it."

When I asked at the same places about 4-18-38 - One lady told me, "That won't grow grass." I'm pretty sure she meant the kind of grass you mow, but you never know? Of course, Epsom Salt is really cheap - besides I already have 4 pounds of it for foot soaking.

I purchased the 12.5 lb. kit tonight along with the squash. I only had $34 to spend and I'm running out of Calcium Nitrate and 4-18-38 quicker than I thought.
Old June 14, 2018   #340
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala Doug View Post
I may be mistaken, but I was under the impression that AKmark uses Chem-Gro which is made by Hydro-Gardens... but I could be wrong.
I do buy from HG. You should also read what they have to say about the others. I have no idea about the results of Masterblend though. I do know several growers around here that also use HG, they hook us up, and have a great support team too.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2018   #341
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Today was another 100F / 37.7C day, and the plants don't like it that hot. Not just the container plants, but all of them. There is a drought happening this year - even though it's not official yet. Unless it starts raining really soon, the local news will start reporting it.

The tomato leaves in the containers are starting to show some sunscald. Supposedly there's a chance of lower temperatures and rain next week - that would help. I'm not giving up on these plants in any way. I have 4 Black Krim tomatoes growing larger each day, and lots of cherry tomatoes needing a break from the heat, but they're still putting on flowers and fruit that is still green. Sungold has some tomatoes that I will pick tomorrow morning. I have 12 tomato plants in buckets now, but it's difficult walking between rows even at 5 feet apart.

Still, it's time for me to start thinking about starting fall garden tomato seeds as soon as... tomorrow June 15th. (Wow, that snuck up on me.) It's recommended to start fall tomato seeds around the forth of July here, but that's actually kind of late. I haven't thought about which varieties to grow yet other than at least one Porter plant. I am only going to grow 8 tomato plants this fall.
Old June 15, 2018   #342
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I was curious to know the difference between Chem gro and Masterblend so I looked up the ingredients. There's not much difference at all.

Here's a side by side comparison.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chem gro vs Masterblend.jpg (128.8 KB, 91 views)
Old June 15, 2018   #343
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Indeed. Quite odd is that even the microelements are basically the same, which differs quite a bit compared to usual commercial formulas (Haifa, Yara, Peters, etc) (these have like half the value for microelements while the macros are the same).
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2018   #344
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Rajun, I thought Calcium Nitrate would be easy to find here too, but locally - I didn't find any. What I did get was, "We used to carry it but we don't no more" or "Never heard of it."

When I asked at the same places about 4-18-38 - One lady told me, "That won't grow grass." I'm pretty sure she meant the kind of grass you mow, but you never know? Of course, Epsom Salt is really cheap - besides I already have 4 pounds of it for foot soaking.

I purchased the 12.5 lb. kit tonight along with the squash. I only had $34 to spend and I'm running out of Calcium Nitrate and 4-18-38 quicker than I thought.

I did a little homework for you and after 3 calls I found SouthernAg CalNit, 3 bags in stock at Laurie's Garden, 1019 E Jefferson Ave, Whitney, TX 76692. (254) 694-9994

Laurie herself answered the phone and was very helpful, it's cheaper than I can buy here at $6.50 a 5 lb bag.

I know it's a little trip for you but it's your fault you live in the boonies!!
Old June 15, 2018   #345
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I just recently learned Yi-Yield or Ferti-lome also sells calcium nitrate so if anyone else is looking for some you can use this site and it list stores in your area that carries their products. They might not have it on the shelf but they can order it.

It's listed under "Hi-Yield", "fertilizers" then "miscellaneous products"

https://www.fertilome.com/Products.a...4-47d6c2bff549