Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 14, 2018   #2491
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Yet another day of working in mid 20's weather and I mean working in it all day.
When it got up to 50 I had to work in a Tee shirt.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2018   #2492
bower
Tomatovillian™

According to meteorologist, the most intense storm on the planet today Nov 15 is the one we're having in NL. It has been howling since yesterday, what a wind. Hurricane force winds in some parts although I think we escaped that here (barely). Very glad no trees came down that threatened the house as we went through SW to W and NW pounding winds.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...land-1.4906415
Worst yet they now have a 'special weather statement' about the next storm, coming tomorrow night into Saturday with howlin wind from the East this time and snow on it.
Time for a bunker mentality. Batten hatch and hide.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2018   #2493
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

e had freezing rain this mornng. Nasty horrid weather!. probably 2/10ths of an inch before it turned to just rain. thankfully the ice has fallen off the trees mostly now.
Old November 15, 2018   #2494
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I don't remember ever having snow and ice in November. This is January weather. My cousin is trying ro grow greens for the winter market. Some years winter gardening turns out to be a good idea, and other years one just looks foolish trying to produce anything in weather so cold.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2018   #2495
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Several inches of snow in PA. Roads are a total mess. First storm of the season, poor forecasting (didn't turn to rain as expected), lots of accidents all over. I guess Winter has arrived!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2018   #2496
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
According to meteorologist, the most intense storm on the planet today Nov 15 is the one we're having in NL. It has been howling since yesterday, what a wind. Hurricane force winds in some parts although I think we escaped that here (barely). Very glad no trees came down that threatened the house as we went through SW to W and NW pounding winds.

Worst yet they now have a 'special weather statement' about the next storm, coming tomorrow night into Saturday with howlin wind from the East this time and snow on it.
I heard about this storm in the news, sounds like a big one! Stay warm and safe!
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2018   #2497
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I don't remember ever having snow and ice in November. This is January weather. My cousin is trying ro grow greens for the winter market. Some years winter gardening turns out to be a good idea, and other years one just looks foolish trying to produce anything in weather so cold.
I wouldnt be able to recall either except we buried my brother 29 years ago. we had 4" of snow on Nov. 2nd.
Old November 15, 2018   #2498
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaGardener View Post
Several inches of snow in PA. Roads are a total mess. First storm of the season, poor forecasting (didn't turn to rain as expected), lots of accidents all over. I guess Winter has arrived!
thankfully one of my sons didn't have to go to Philly today as scheduled.... so thankful.
Old November 15, 2018   #2499
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

It was an early cold last year too.

I cranked the heater up to 70 from 60 when I got up this morning and turned it back to 60 when I left for work.
I got home and the house was 62.
That means the heater never came on all day.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2018   #2500
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post

I

There are reports in the news of 50 foot waves coming into your shores. Could be some interesting beach combing after the storms have passed. Stay safe.

Last edited by GrowingCoastal; November 16, 2018 at 08:44 PM.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2018   #2501
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Just started a couple of hours ago here in upstate NY near the Vermont border.Too dark to see what's happening outside, but NYSEG,our power Co just sent an alert e-mail giving the # to call if there are power outages.

I look at the map online via intellicast and accuweather and can see the light and dark blue areas,that is an indication of how fast and how much snow is falling.

Carolyn
Old November 20, 2018   #2502
bower
Tomatovillian™

A two day rain festival here, but will be back below freezing before the weekend. Even after the rain last night and all day today, there is still a lot of snow on the ground, and huge goblets of ice were still afloat in the several buckets I went and tipped out. Got the hoses disconnected (yes way late my bad) and cut and removed the last tomato plants from the greenhouse, was impressed to get a few more late blushers off these 'never say die' Rodneys, and aside from a few dead leaves the plants were not moldy or unhealthy, twenty days after the bitter end of the season.

The garlic beds don't have any mulch yet, and not a pretty sight that bits of frost heaved soil were still frozen on top. We have had January type freezes for several days past, and will be again by Saturday.

Seismologists reported that the island was shaking during that crazy storm. And there was an oil spill offshore which couldn't be sealed off on account of the weather, no idea how bad that will be for birds and fish alike. It is far from shore so the effects are not easy to assess.

Definitely like the idea of beach combing if I can finish up tidying the garden first I may get down there tomorrow or Thursday while we are still hovering above freezing, with hopes of some kelp to mulch the garlic. If not I will have to hunt for leaves...
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2018   #2503
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

We had a cold front blow through this morning. It's windy and the leaves are falling and blowing around all over the place. We'll miss the leaves being on the trees, but it's nice watching them fly around. Most are oak leaves that have turned light brown, yellow, orange, and red. It's like colorful snowflakes without the cold.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2018   #2504
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

So it's Fall down in Texas, eh? Get someone to rake those leaves into a pile, and when the kids are done playing in them, chop 'em up (lawn mower or leaf blower/mulcher) and amend your soil.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2018   #2505
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I just heard that this year's total rainfall for DFW, Texas is the third most. 2015 was the most. Two in the top 3 years of rainfall in the last 4 years. This year has been an odd weather year. We had a very warm winter in February/March, and less than usual amounts of severe weather. I don't like severe weather, so that's fine by me.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote