Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 6, 2019   #1
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Default Talvez

This is our new red tomato. We have made hundreds of crosses over the years which resulted in red tomatoes, but this is the first red hybrid we have decided to release.

We are working hard in collaboration with Johnny's Selected Seeds on a red cherry tomato with yellow stripes, and we hope to have one out very soon.

But Talvez has reached the finish line first. This year it is only available from our Mom & Pop online store -- www.growartisan.com

Talvez is a slightly flattened, medium sized tomato. The striping is modest, but the production is fantastic. Flavor is bright and sweet, and fruits have above average shelf-life.

Plants are indeterminate vines and disease resistance has been good in a variety of environments.

Is this the blockbuster red tomato that is worthy of being our first red hybrid? Maybe (Tal vez = Maybe)

Note: Talvez has no genetic relationship to Red Jazz (thank goodness).
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2019   #2
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Looks very good.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2019   #3
mikemansker
Tomatovillian™

I just ordered these. Looks like a good variety.
mikemansker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2019   #4
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

They look good; What is the skin like?

BTW - I had a great Maglia Rosa crop and picked at pink - plants are finishing up since it was determinate. Also grew Garden Gem (first time since year it was introduced) - they were nothing alike.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2019   #5
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Customers at my market prefer just that size of tomato. More than what one or two people would consume with a sandwich is "too big." They admire the large tomatoes, but buy the medium sized ones. Also, I think the striping is enough to set them apart from regular red tomatoes. Talvez looks like a great market variety.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2019   #6
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

I think MR and the other Garden Gem parent are quite different.

The skin on Talvez is not thin, and not thick. It is pretty average. Maybe a bit thicker than average. The upside of that is that there is very little cracking and splitting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
They look good; What is the skin like?

BTW - I had a great Maglia Rosa crop and picked at pink - plants are finishing up since it was determinate. Also grew Garden Gem (first time since year it was introduced) - they were nothing alike.
Old January 10, 2019   #7
mikemansker
Tomatovillian™

I received my Talvez seeds today. I'm excited by any tomato that has good flavor and is prolific. I look forward to growing it this year.

How do you think this would do in a container? I will probably put it in the ground, but garden space is always at a premium for me.
mikemansker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2019   #8
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

I think it would do ok in a 5 gallon container and fine in a 10 gallon container. But it is a pretty vigorous plant, and you might need to cut the top off at some point if the container just wasn't large enough.
Old December 16, 2020   #9
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I posted in the last few weeks about Talvez in the wrong thread.

Super Productive and it's amazing to see the color change. First flecks of darker green (mini-stripes), then the tomato seems to totally turn the same color overnight not the typical blushing and change that takes days/weeks.

It's growing in an Earthbox and has a mate (Chocolate Sprinkles) - this is our low light of the year.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2020   #10
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I tried Talvez F1 in 2019. One plant broke at home and the other in the garden, always the cause of my clumsiness. I had all the bad tomatoes this year. Barbara, do you really think Talvez is so good that I should grow it at the expense of something else? I'll probably have to change my plans.
Vladimír
Old December 19, 2020   #11
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Wow! What a nice looking tomato. Bought Talvez seeds last year, but didn't get it planted -- I definitely will this season. I like good tomatoes, and even better, good tomatoes that look good. And how clever to use the Spanish words for its name!
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2020   #12
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
I tried Talvez F1 in 2019. One plant broke at home and the other in the garden, always the cause of my clumsiness. I had all the bad tomatoes this year. Barbara, do you really think Talvez is so good that I should grow it at the expense of something else? I'll probably have to change my plans.
Vladimír
Vladimir,

I think the reviews on Talvez suggest that it is good in most every way. However, the flavor is not top shelf. It is good, but not very good under most circumstances.

Here, in California, I think it might be useful as an alternative to Early Girl for growing using a method called Dry Farming.

That said, I think for most gardeners and growers, Benevento will be preferred, in the red beefsteak category.
Old December 19, 2020   #13
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the information. I'll probably skip the Talvez F1. I will leave Benvenuto for 2022, because it has a surplus of steak tomatoes for the 2021 season. I normally grow a lot of Spanish steaks and next year I have six more new ones, which he didn't really try this year.
Vladimír
Old December 22, 2020   #14
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Fred, been meaning to comment that Talvez looks just like Red Jazz to me. :O :OO

I've been debating crossing Red Zebra with Druzba to hopefully develop a larger and rounder striped slicer with decent flavor. Red Zebra is a pretty good tomato here in the south.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2020   #15
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Fred, been meaning to comment that Talvez looks just like Red Jazz to me. :O :OO

I've been debating crossing Red Zebra with Druzba to hopefully develop a larger and rounder striped slicer with decent flavor. Red Zebra is a pretty good tomato here in the south.
It looks like Red Jazz, but thankfully it is not that bad! Red Jazz was an OP we "pre-released" and it was so bad that in a strange way that precluded it catching on as a mediocre tomato that would drag our brand down.

Talvez is a hybrid. It is a solid medium-sized tomato. Seems to be very dependable and productive for most people and it has good flavor. But, not great flavor.

I have not tried Red Zebra in many years. In fact, I don't recall when/if I trialed it. Is there a Red Zebra line you consider to be the best? Seed Savers?