Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 9, 2019   #1
oldman
Tomatovillian™

Default First flats

It's too early for tomatos and too early for peppers. But l was getting antsy so I planted two flats today. One is mostly rosemary with some citrus, shallot seed, and some succulents included. The second is mostly leeks with some thyme and lemon thyme. I may start some flower seed too. Blackberry lilies and some other perennials.

If winter's going to last a while longer for you, have you started anything yet? If you're further south are you starting tomatoes? If you're further north, what will your first flat be?
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2019   #2
mikemansker
Tomatovillian™

I have shallots, a couple of egg plant and some peppers. May be too early, but I wanted to have something started. Hopefully the shallots will survive until they can be planted out. I've never had much luck with shallots, but onions do well for me.
mikemansker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2019   #3
salix
Tomatovillian™

In a couple of weeks I will start the alliums; several varieties of onion, leeks, shallots, bunching types, etc. Hope it won't be too early, overnight temps are still in the -24 to -29 C range...
Old February 9, 2019   #4
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Assorted onions and leeks, they are doing well!
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019   #5
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Cauliflower..........start mid-Feb..................plant out April 1.
Peppers..............start mid-March..............plant out May 15.
Tomatoes...........start April 1....................plant out May 15.

I haven't figured out the flowers yet.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019   #6
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Onions planted out already. Tomatoes, peppers; and eggplant growing well under lights. My only concern is how tall they will be by plant out near April 1.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019   #7
oldman
Tomatovillian™

I was actually thinking of starting some peppers since they grew so slowly for me last year. I can't safely put anything out until after May 1 so I'm worried they'd be too big by then. But I'll probably start some in early March anyway.

Last edited by oldman; February 11, 2019 at 02:36 AM.
Old February 11, 2019   #8
javafxnoob
Tomatovillian™

We have pretty decent weather right now. During night temperature falls to -5 degree Celsius and during the day 6 to 10 in plus. Days have enough sun so as a test I started small amount of tomato seeds just to have something to play with.

Unheated cold frame doesn't offer protection from cold during night, so at nights I bring my seedlings in house and put them on windowsill. They stay there until about 09-10 hours in the morning when temperature rise above 3 degree and sun rises above buildings that block my house backyard. So far seedlings look OK, not leggy at all.

Not sure if I made mistake and planted too early, but I planted in addition other tomato varieties, some hot peppers and ordinary peppers. Weather forecast is promising, so in few weeks I hope bringing seedling in house and moving them out in the morning would not be anymore required.

Still waiting peppers to germinate. Unfortunately they don't want to germinate half an hour after planting and starring at them doesn't help either.
Old February 11, 2019   #9
taboule
Tomatovillian™

I started my first seeds on Sunday feb 3. Two flats of walla walla onions. They'll be the first ones to go outside in April, hope they'll be big enough to get decent sized bulbs this year.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2019   #10
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by javafxnoob View Post
Still waiting peppers to germinate. Unfortunately they don't want to germinate half an hour after planting and starring at them doesn't help either.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2019   #11
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

I start my seeds end of Feb because I plant in WOW late April Chicago. Will start greens next week- spinach, kale and various lettuces, those go out early April.
As of now I have tons of flowers going, not sure what was I thinking as real estate is at premium, garden and house.
I have saved my own and got few hosta seeds so am trying my hand in growing hostas from seed, they are genetically unstable so lots of fun.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2019   #12
oldman
Tomatovillian™

I tried starting hostas from seed a few years ago and didn't have much luck with the seeds. I eventually just started annuals in the flats and set them out where I had wanted the hostas. The annuals didn't do very well because it was too shady. But the hostas were almost big enough to divide last year. Plants can always surprise you.
Old February 12, 2019   #13
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

My micro-dwarf tomatoes are up already and I've started a few slow-growing herbs like rosemary, some Walla Walla onions, chives, black goji berry plants, and a few decorative things like hardy hens & chicks (succulents, not poppies) and dahlias. I've also started a few mixed cactus seeds -- what strange-looking little buggers they are! In two or three weeks I'll start some of the slow-germinating peppers and maybe the Alpine strawberries. Fingers crossed!
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2019   #14
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Down here we have favorable cole/cool crop season. I plant them all directly in the garden. I have :
TURNIP, GARLIC, SCALLIONS, CHIVES, PARSLEY, DILL, MUSTARD GREEN.
My snap peas are popping now. Pretty soon I will plant potatoes and carrots.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2019   #15
weaselbean
Tomatovillian™

About 3 weeks out for tomatoes so I started some easy wave petunias and red hibiscus just to see something sprout. Im sickkkk of winter.
weaselbean is offline   Reply With Quote