Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 20, 2020   #1
Melissa S
Tomatovillian™

Default What to cover tomatoes with for cold nights

Hey folks,
Oh, the weather. This week we hit 90f in the day, but this weekend we are forecast to have two nights around 40f. I want to keep my tomatoes safe (19 plants), but they are already pretty tall. I can use their cages for structure, but what's the best material to cover them with to keep them warm? I probably have enough blankets I could use, I could buy tarps or thick plastic sheeting, I could spring for those really big buckets at Home Depot, I think those would be tall enough. I just don't know what would be best.

I can use milk jugs on some of my shorter plants (cucumbers and squash), but the tomatoes are way too big for that. I want to cover them for sure--one of the basil plants saw some damage last night, and that's my canary in the coal mine letting me know the tomatoes need shelter. Advice appreciated. Thanks!
Melissa S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2020   #2
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

The best are items that insulate to hold in the (relative) warmth. I'd go with a blanket and maybe, depending on the weather, throw a tarp over all that in case of rain. Plastic is a poor insulator, but it is good at keeping things dry.
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2020   #3
Melissa S
Tomatovillian™

That makes sense, thanks! Between household blankets and camping supplies, I should have enough blankets, sleeping bags, and tarps to get it done. The things we do for tomatoes! ��
Old May 20, 2020   #4
MSchep
Tomatovillian™

We had a few nights in April that dropped to 35deg, enough that i was able to see frost on the roof shingles.

All my plants are in containers, so I was able to pull them all together and put up my 10x10 pop up canopy over them, but at the lowest setting on the legs, so overall the structure was 4-5ft tall. worked out great.
MSchep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2020   #5
Melissa S
Tomatovillian™

That pop up canopy sounds great!

Our weather has lost its dang mind. Two weekends ago we had frost warnings, so I turned the cages on their sides for structure and used every blanket we own to cover them: https://photos.app.goo.gl/g4MHiNeFLWm5usmUA

My furry "helpers" led me on a merry chase when we covered the tomatoes. They thought I was building them the coolest new blanket forts ever and wouldn't come out of there. One of them even managed to grab his favorite toy from the house and sneak it into one of the blanket tunnels!
Then this past week and last weekend we've had highs up near 100F, so I've been desperately mulching and the plants are doing well:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/RLej2xd4WSdydivD6

I'm sure you can all see where this is going, right? This weekend, we are forecast to have a couple of nights down around 40F again. LOL. The plants are now way too tall for what I did last time, they've even grown a fair bit since the second photo was taken. I could leave the cages on and rent some moving blankets, it's just so frustrating to be dealing with this in JUNE! I know there's no frost risk, but I've read a whole explanation of how the plants get stunted below 45F from the University extension that has me once again debating whether I should cover them.

Geez! Even with all this, I'll still take the weather here this spring over last year's, when an extremely cold and wet spring opened the door to disease and insects and ended in reduced yield.
Old June 4, 2020   #6
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

A cardboard box is my preferred way. One usually has them around the house, if you buy often from the internet.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2020   #7
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Fabric is definitely best. If you wish to keep your blankets clean and to have in hand for future use, purchase an extra wide roll of Heavy duty black landscape fabric. Can cut as needed, provides a good protection But remains light if it gets wet.dry, fold or roll ,and re- use For years.
Also works for light to moderate hail protection. If you have enough warning. Clothespins and tomato cages as structure. Works well in a garden
KarenO
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote