Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old May 6, 2021   #1
Oliver
Tomatovillian™

Just from what I've read in your posts I think you have the right approach. I've seen some places a soil temp of 60 for planting, but it seems to me you have enough experience to know what will work.
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2021   #2
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
Just from what I've read in your posts I think you have the right approach. I've seen some places a soil temp of 60 for planting, but it seems to me you have enough experience to know what will work.
Hello Oliver,
I am not so sure about that. Actually, I hadn't payed much attention to the soil temperature before and my toms did okay. However, this extremely cold spring and perhaps last year's experience have made me more interested in details.

I like solving problems, so I have devised a plan to raise the temps a bit. Black non-woven fabric on top of the soil prior to planting-out (but if there's little or no sunshine, it won't help much). And a kilo or two(?) of manure mixed with biomass (cut grass) under each plant. Watered with 100°F water to speed up the fermentation process. Can't think of anything else.

What do you think? Could it work? Thank you.
Milan HP
Milan HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2021   #3
Oliver
Tomatovillian™

I think it could work. I haven't heard of the 100 degree water trick. Could help to raise temp under the fabric.
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2021   #4
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Hello Oliver,
the trick was performed just today. I left out the hot water part as the day was really sunny and hot. I just made and filled the holes in the morning and then I left them open for the sun to heat the inside. Planting out only started at 6 pm. I didn't bother to measure the temp, but it felt warm to touch - probably over 80°F. Tomorrow's gonna be another hot day, so I plan to put the non-woven fabric back in the evening to prevent heat loss. Considering how much energy the soil absorbed today and hopefully also tomorrow, I am quite confident it will work. I'll certainly report the results here.

Milan HP
Milan HP is offline   Reply With Quote