Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old December 20, 2020   #151
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

Wow, it has been a while since I updated this thread. What a long and often frustrating year! I took produce to the markets, though, and found folks were committed to supporting local farmers through this difficult time. It was a remarkable outpouring of support and we couldn't have made it otherwise.
We ran out of irrigation water for the fields in September, However, I was able to finish up most crops watering from the well. So, we gathered quite a bit of seed, which I have cleaned and have been shipping out. No rest for the weary farmer!
There are several dozen new tomato varieties, 10 or so peppers, and more beans and corn on the site. I think it is worth checking out before you finalize your planting. Anyway, best wishes to everyone! Lee
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2022   #152
AhSum89
Tomatovillian™

Has anyone ordered from JandL recently. Still active?
AhSum89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2022   #153
tomatoaddict

Their page is up and there's no message they aren't accepting orders. Message them if you are worried.
Old January 27, 2022   #154
AhSum89
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoaddict View Post
Their page is up and there's no message they aren't accepting orders. Message them if you are worried.
I did thanks. Reached out last year and held out on an order not knowing if it would ship in time. Hoping to try them again this year if someone here can confirm they are still indeed active.

Any recommendations on must-trys from this vendor?
AhSum89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2022   #155
MapleTree
Tomatovillian™

I recently ordered from J&L's ebay page. The seeds came quickly and I have two Citrus Garden tomato seedlings (out of 3 planted) growing under lights now. So I'm sure their regular page is active.

As for recommendations from the J&L site, I've grown Sart Roloise (or Sart Rolaise) and Cosmonaut Volkov with good results. Both of those are excellent. I tried growing Heart of Ashkhabad but the plant had problems and I didn't get anything from it. I'd given a seedling to someone else, though, and he raved about how terrific it was. So I'm trying it again this year. I'm also trying Marina's Praise and Citrus Garden this year. And I've had Longhorn and Wonder of the World recommended to me. I'm going to try those some year, but I'm running out of space for this year.
MapleTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2022   #156
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

Hi, it's Lee. I hadn't logged on T'ville lately, and it's nice to see lots of people are still here and everyone has spring fever. I've been way too busy packing orders, and I try to get them out the next day. My wife has starting telling people I've joined the vegetable kingdom! Anyway, there are a bunch of new tomatoes from Belgium, Slovakia, and Ukraine on the website. If there is something you don't see, there is a good chance I have seed for it. Let me know.
Old March 2, 2022   #157
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Hi Lee-
Given what is going on in Ukraine, I am interested in finding more tomatoes specifically from that region. Perhaps others are as well.

I noticed you noted in your last post that you had some new ones. Perhaps ,could you post them here.? I couldn't see a simple way to single out those from Ukraine simply on the site.
Thank you
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2022   #158
DK2021
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl2601 View Post
Hi Lee-
Given what is going on in Ukraine, I am interested in finding more tomatoes specifically from that region. Perhaps others are as well.

I noticed you noted in your last post that you had some new ones. Perhaps ,could you post them here.? I couldn't see a simple way to single out those from Ukraine simply on the site.
Thank you
That is a good suggestion. I had obtained seeds (not tomato) from a Ukrainian seller just a couple of months ago, and I just checked and they are of course not shipping at the moment. I hope they and other growers stay safe. Let's hope that resources that benefit all of humanity, such as seed collections and libraries, are spared.
DK2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2022   #159
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

I found their Ukraine varieties! Here they are if anyone is interested!

Auria/Zabata
Auria's unusual shape and wonderful flavor make it a favorite at the Santa Fe Farmer's Market where I sell out of these each week. It is very meaty...
$5.00

Black from Tula
Black from Tula is a handsome beefsteak variety and a dependable producer of very large slicers that taste great. There is some light concentric...
$4.00

Getman Mazepa
Getman Mazepa is a smaller yellow heart tomato named after the 17th century Cossack leader Ivan Mazepa. The dusky yellow is blushed with rose on the...
$5.00

Legenda Tarasenko
This beautiful and unusual tomato produces plants with wispy foliage and unique-looking 3" long red fruits with a pronounced tip at the blossom...
Old March 5, 2022   #160
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

I have "Black from Tula" Ukraine Variety too.
http://www.angelfieldfarms.com/store...oes/Seeds.html
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2022   #161
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

I should make sure I have all of my Ukranian vairieties listed. I'll check Tatiana's database on that today. I am also concerned with what is happening to some of our friends in Ukraine. Ruslan Dukhov wrote me and others that his greenhouse had been destroyed. There may be people in the midst of the fighting who need seed and we should see what can be done.

Lee
Old March 20, 2022   #162
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Lee, I am so glad to hear you have heard from Ruslan Dukhov! He is an important breeder. I have his Nicolay Dukhov and his EVgenia seed growing for the tribute. If he needs seed I am sure we can all band together. I pray he has taken some of his creations with him if he has exited the country. Do you have any more info?
Old December 27, 2023   #163
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

Hi all,

I received some more tomato varieties from Ukraine along with some from my friend in Slovakia, Martin.
There are about three dozen new listings - not all tomatoes - but all interesting!
This year I'm working to conserve what I have in the seed bank (currently 1,016 varieties of tomatoes) My wife says it is out of control, and she is usually right.
However, the Rodale Institute has offered to help with stewardship and I'm setting up a non-profit at https://www.jandlgardens.net. The farm website is still https://www.jandlgardens.com.
I hope everyone is staying warm and having a wonderful holiday.
Lee
Old December 27, 2023   #164
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwin View Post
Hi all,

I received some more tomato varieties from Ukraine along with some from my friend in Slovakia, Martin.
There are about three dozen new listings - not all tomatoes - but all interesting!
This year I'm working to conserve what I have in the seed bank (currently 1,016 varieties of tomatoes) My wife says it is out of control, and she is usually right.
However, the Rodale Institute has offered to help with stewardship and I'm setting up a non-profit at https://www.jandlgardens.net. The farm website is still https://www.jandlgardens.com.
I hope everyone is staying warm and having a wonderful holiday.
Lee
Happy Holidays

You are Blessed to have all those volunteers or family members helping you with smiles on their faces, Amen!!

Nice Farm too
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote