Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 31, 2022   #16
bbjm
Tomatovillian™

I plant doubles of Prue because, like many hearts (Carolyne would have stongly disagreed that Prue is a heart :-), it has very wispy and thin foliage so sun and disease are not really an issue. Prue usually stays fairly small for me so I don't even prune them -- my cages are fairly large, made of concrete wire. Unfortunately, a late frost killed one of the Prue, so am just growing a single plant this year.

This year, I am actually doing it with KBX. My first plant was severely frosted, and I assumed it would die. I planted an extra I had on hand in the cage, and now both are going strong. KBX is a huge plant for me but I decided to let them both keep going. I don't know if your cross will be big plants, but limiting them both to just a few leaders is a great idea and something I will do with these two KBX.

Good Luck!
Bret

Last edited by bbjm; May 31, 2022 at 05:49 PM.
bbjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2022   #17
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Do you think I will get a bunch of crosses?
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2022   #18
bbjm
Tomatovillian™

Perhaps, but it is still unlikely. I've had one accidental cross in 20 years of saving seeds.

However, if you are trying to stabilize the cross, it might be worth learning how to bag and manually fertilize blossoms. I've never tried it but others on here have lots of experience in stabilizing crosses.

Bret
bbjm is offline   Reply With Quote