Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 6 Days Ago   #29
VirginiaClay
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyolf View Post
My daughter looked through the list of seeds "in stock" and asked to start that one.

Big Dad is a reliable performer, ripens not long after celebrity for me. This was the last of a fairly old packet, and likely won't be repeated because it isn't radically different than a few others. I purchased it and Brandy Boy off the rack at the same time. BB was a dissapointment a lot like the original Brandywines for me: rather late, and not particularly productive.

I would compare it to Celebrity: a good tomato, reliable and way better than store tomatoes...but not quite as much fun as an heirloom.

Sent from my motorola edge (2022) using Tapatalk
Thanks. I'm expecting it to be pretty similar to Big Boy, Better Boy, Whopper and Supersonic, all of which I have trouble telling apart once the tomatoes are off the plants. I haven't grown Celebrity.

I'll be watching for Big Daddy's relative tolerance to early blight and septoria, its ability to set fruit in the 90+ summer heat, and its overall productivity compared to the other hybrid reds. I'm guessing it isn't anything all that special because it has been available for quite awhile now and hasn't become very popular/common.

Brandy Boy was early/mid-season (65DTM) and super productive for me here, but I wasn't crazy about the taste or texture, so I doubt I'll grow it again.
VirginiaClay is offline   Reply With Quote