Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Default My tomatoes 2024

I started the 2024 season already last fall (11/10/2023) when I sowed tomatoes for my deep cold frame. For this year, I decided to plant only parthenocarpic plants bred by Dr. Baggett in the deep frame mainly because they are able to produce fruit even without pollination: Gold Nugget, Oregon eleven, Oregon spring, Oroma, Santiam and Siletz. Picture 1.

Since the days were very short at that time (approx. 8 hours), I sometimes illuminated the seedlings for 4 hours with a 27 W LED bulb. I had to stop doing that around Christmas. I was afraid that such large seedlings would not fit in my frame under the glass. I planted reasonably large seedlings in the garden, only with the Oroma variety I had more work because the seedlings were quite tall. I put seedlings in the garden on March 22. Picture 2.

Despite the unfavorable weather, the tomatoes in the frame grew well and began to bloom already at the end of April. Picture 3.

At the end of May, all the plants bloomed profusely and had already planted fruits of various sizes. Picture 4.

I harvested the first ripe fruits this week. They were fruits of the Oroma and Gold Nugget varieties. But Gold Nugget it certainly isn't, because its color isn't golden yellow by any chance. Picture 5.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4577.JPG (131.0 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20240326_102843.jpg (147.5 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Bez názvu.jpg (63.8 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 1.6.2024.jpg (280.2 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20240614_151051.jpg (37.4 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20240614_151212.jpg (32.9 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by MrBig46; 1 Week Ago at 04:36 AM.
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #2
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

I deeply appreciate Tomato Breeding, than Hybrs. Please tell us more about Learning about Dr. Baggett, Amen!
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #3
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I couldn't stand it and already yesterday I cut up all the tomatoes. I wasn't too surprised either that there were no seeds in any of them. Other varieties would probably not have any tomatoes because they need conditions suitable for pollination. Of course I tasted the tomatoes, the taste was distinctly tomato and balanced in terms of acidity and sweetness.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20240619_172113.jpg (53.6 KB, 31 views)
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote