Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old February 17, 2008   #16
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Default Any Raw Habanero Eaters?

RosaDawn,

I've read posts on another forum where some people have irritated their eyes when taking out their contacts, even after washing their hands after slicing up hot peppers. So I guess even that doesn't always help.

Have to say that guy in Mexico didn't seem to be a scam, but it's always possible. If so, he fooled the journalist covering the story. They say he built up a tolerance to it.

BTW, welcome to Tomatoville! I see that was your first post.

Jeff
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2008   #17
RosaDawn
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the welcome Jeff.Sorry if I sounded cynical about that guy....Yes,it is always possible,I just hope he is not ruining his eyesight...I am just a skeptical person...
RosaDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2008   #18
epiphanista
Tomatovillian™

Well, honestly, RosaDawn, you are not skeptical, you are practical!!! Who in their right mind would bother making a spectacle of themselves with pepper juice in their eyes?! There is so much more to life. The poor man must be terribly bored if he's gone to such lengths to impress the media.

I went to a restaurant with a friend once where the shi-shi spicy soup had a slice of habanero floating on top. He picked it up and licked it - and had to literally run outside the restaurant to finish crying!

Personally, I love hot stuff. But I like a little less heat with that flavor - I love Bulgarian Carrot peppers because they still have that citrus-y flavor, but aren't quite so lethal for me.

~Thalia
epiphanista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2008   #19
JimmyWu
Tomatovillian™

I eat raw peppers at home seeds and all (not Habs). Last year at work, I was seeding/veining Japs. without gloves for a salsa dish. I usually never do this but it was for kids.

In a 14 hour shift I couldn't count how many times I wash my hands. But after 2 days the oil was still on my finger tips...LOL
Old February 19, 2008   #20
pooklette
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaJB View Post
I've read posts on another forum where some people have irritated their eyes when taking out their contacts, even after washing their hands after slicing up hot peppers.
That happened to me. I sliced up a couple of Jalapenos for DH and washed my hands twice afterward. Later that night...like eight hours later...I washed my hands one more time and tried to take out my contacts. I screamed like a banshee and both eyes immediately started streaming and swelled shut. I couldn't pry them open far enough to get my contacts out either, so the burning just kept going and going and going...

That was the one and only time DH ever took my contacts out for me. Poke me in the eye, jab me with your finger...I don't care. Just get these flamin pieces of plastic out of my eyes!
pooklette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008   #21
Lilypon
Tomatovillian™

Reading poor ((((Pooklette's)))) post made me LOL as it reminded me of the first time I cut up some hot peppers. I didn't wear gloves and at some point I touched my eye. Well we had gone to the movie theatre and all I can remember is begging my husband to get me ice water for my flamming fingers (and napkins that I could soak to put on my poor eyeball). I doubt if I coherently saw more than 15 minutes of that movie.

Told a co-worker the next day and she said laughed and said something similar happened to her husband a couple of years back (only he went to the washroom shortly after cutting the peppers). He was in unbelieveable agony for quite awhile.

Mirabel Osler
Lilypon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2008   #22
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Theres only one thing a person is going to say the next morning after eating Raw Habanero's. Ami

COME ON ICE CREAM
Old May 19, 2008   #23
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

We call my cousin Paulie "Paulie Peppez" because thats what he really excels at. He brought down a good bunch of peppers one time, and I thought to myself "why not try an Orange Hab" raw for fun....

Well once I got the feeling back in my mouth, & lips I vowed I'd only use em in chili from now on! Wow are they hot...

~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008   #24
organichris
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, I was seeding some hot banana wax peppers once and went to take leak. Dude! That was not a good idea.
organichris is offline   Reply With Quote