Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old June 10, 2016   #136
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

A fur down or fir down is the boxed in area between the ceiling and the upper cabinets some places have.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2016   #137
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Ahh, I was wondering. Thanks for explaining. I had no idea what you were talking about. fur and down are from animals and I was pretty sure it had nothing to do with them.
Old June 10, 2016   #138
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I also like what they call french cleats to mount upper cabinets.
This is what I did in the garage.
That upper cabinet is 8 feet long and I hung it by myself.

There is no better way to hang a cabinet than a french cleat and it has many advantages of nailing or screwing stuff to the wall.

You can also use them for many other things.
I have known about them for many years and they are now becoming popular due to the internet and so much information being exchanged.

When I worked in the cabinet shop we also made what they call pictuer rail.
It really is for hanging pictures.
Much of this stuff has lost its original intent and use and is now for decorative uses.
Another thing to consider is to not try to mimic what is on the market.
What you are doing is mimicking cheapness and low cost construction.

I remember many years ago we did and used stuff that was meant only for the very rich.
Now you see that stuff everywhere but there is a draw back.
Lets take the adjustable shelves we put in cabinets.
You know the ones with the holes and the peg type brackets you put in them.
We used good cabinet grade wood to make the boxes and good steel bracket or pegs for the shelves.
To copy this look they have started and have been for some time using particle board or even worse the paper board crap and plastic pegs.

Look at it like this take a 2x4 and drill a hole in it at an angle and put in a round peg to hang a heavy coat, works great.
Now try the same thing with particle or paper board and a plastic peg.
The concept goes from a great idea to a pile of garbage.

What I am trying to say and mostly babbling is if you cant afford the real thing dont bother using cheap stuff that looks like it.
The cabinets in my house are the very cheapest of the cheap.
If they were any cheaper they would be cardboard boxes.

I remember years ago the salesman in the shop came to me and asked me to come up with a cabinet door that we could make for around $2.50 to $3.00 a running foot.
We were losing bids he said.
At that time our doors were around $25.00 a foot.
Later that day I went to his office and handed him a piece of cardboard the size of a cabinet door.
So with all of this babble I am going to make all of this stuff out of good materials I can afford not out of cheap material that looks like something I cant afford.
Right now I am still tossing around ideas and concepts for the most part if any never seen before in a kitchen.
If done correctly it will look great if not it will look like crap.

Worth
Old June 10, 2016   #139
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Ahh, I was wondering. Thanks for explaining. I had no idea what you were talking about. fur and down are from animals and I was pretty sure it had nothing to do with them.
Many terms are almost lost as to what they meant and for the most part what they were used for.
Wainscoting is one of them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panell...scot_panelling
Old June 11, 2016   #140
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have a question about something thai has been bothering me and making me hold off on getting started.
The area or place I want to put the new stove top has ceramic tile on the floor.
What I want to do is set the base cabinet on this tile.
I do not want to get involved in removing floor tile.
Is this okay or not okay.

Worth
Old June 11, 2016   #141
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I guess I answered my own question.
But I am giving away part of what I was trying to hide.

Many many years ago my old boss and I were talking about parts of Europe and how they do things.

This may sound crazy to Americans but many people over there take their cabinets with them, including the sink.
There are a lot of advantages to this if you build the stuff correctly and think ahead.

Some of you guys told me I should make the island out farther into the living area and I like the idea.
But it will close off the living area and make it smaller.

So all along I was hiding something from you guys but I will go ahead and come out with it.
I am going to build what they call free standing cabinets.
It is a completely different concept than what most people in the US are used to.
You simply dont have to permanently attach cabinets to anything in your house.
The only draw back is you have to have finished ends on everything, not a big deal.
Another term is they are called modular cabinets.
The pros on this is if you want to change out the floor later on like I do you simply move the cabinet out of the way put the floor down and put the cabinet back.

Your cabinet is on legs this take the pain away from building toe kick.
It also allows you to clean and sweep under the cabinets instead of having a rat or mouse colony living in a hidden cave you can never get to.

If done the way I am going to do it, everything will be built in twos fours sixes or eights.
Some I will have to do in odd numbers but two odds always make an even.
In other words evenly divided.
What will this do for me.
If for some reason I dont like something where it is I can move it for the most part with a lot less trouble.
I wont have to darn near tear up cabinets to move them.

Someone is going to flip out when I take that one big upper and lower cabinet that is going to take the place of the bar and roll it out into the living area.
Or the table that is going to fold off the back of it.
Worth
Old June 11, 2016   #142
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/anchor-...ors-32784.html

Everything I read says it's fine. You just drill through the tile to anchor the cabinet.

(I just saw the previous post. You beat me to your own answer.)
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2016   #143
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/anchor-...ors-32784.html

Everything I read says it's fine. You just drill through the tile to anchor the cabinet.

(I just saw the previous post. You beat me to your own answer.)
I am so used to two different lines of thinking sometime they get crossed up.
I have to stop and say to myself wait a minute I'm not doing it that way I dont need to worry about it.

I know good and well I have a mouse living under one of my cabinets if not more.
I haven't seen it in a while so maybe Smokey caught it.

Worth
Old June 11, 2016   #144
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Hi Worth,

I like your idea of modular, movable cabinets. Since it's difficult for us to access especially high or low storage spaces, we tend to go horizontal - which, given the fixed amount of floor space, means moving things on occasion. I happen to like using wheeled carts and wire shelving.

When we moved here about 8 years ago, the previous owners just had a small regular fridge with the freezer on top (that they took with them). Instead of putting in cabinetry where the old fridge was, we put in wire shelving for storage and our little DeLonghi Convection oven that we use instead of our regular oven. We then punched out part of the wall to the left of the new shelving (across a 3' hallway to the back rooms) and put in a large 2 door refrigerator. Since we don't use the microwave over the range (have a smaller countertop model elsewhere) I put a pegboard on the over the range microwave for easy access to utensils. I have 2 electric hotplates on wheeled carts near the sink and kitchen table that are set at a good height for wheelchair access. One is a high watt heavy duty waring electric burner that works great with our 20 qt pressure canner and the other (that we use most often) is an induction burner. The burner carts are 3 shelves so there's additional storage available from these carts. Anyway....

Since I'm not using the kitchen aid much recently, the cart is now rolled into a different part of the house until I need it. I don't know if you'd want to consider a cart for your KA stuff or not - but thought you might like to see it. BTW, the cart with the caster is Alera brand from Amazon. I really like it!

Anne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alera KA cart 3.jpg (296.6 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg alera KA cart 4.jpg (240.1 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by aclum; June 11, 2016 at 06:00 PM. Reason: to add bit about shelving under burner carts
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2016   #145
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Anne all of my KA stuff and food possessors blenders ETC are on shelves on the wall.
These shelves were once where I fed and water Smokey because Boo Boo would eat all of her food.
Now that Boo Boo is gone I have the cat food and water on the floor.
These will have to go someplace else as this is were the stove top is going.
I need to take a survey of everything I have and figure out how and where to stash it.
But NOT have it to where I need to unload the whole cabinet to get to one thing.
That drives me nuts.

Worth
IMG_20160611_1725.jpg
Old June 12, 2016   #146
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Worth, I really like the idea of the european-style (or is it just Italian? ) of the freestanding modular units.
Old June 12, 2016   #147
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigiwu View Post
Worth, I really like the idea of the european-style (or is it just Italian? ) of the freestanding modular units.
Come to think about it I remember some of the older houses here in the US that had sinks that were free standing with two hoses that went to faucets on the wall.
These houses predated the use of running water and indoor toilets.
I also remember the term ((Built In)) kitchen cabinets being used.
Like, "The house has built in cabinets."
My father and I even sometimes use the term cupboard.
To use the term built in would mean there had to be more free standing cabinets here at one time.

Worth
Old June 12, 2016   #148
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Tomorrow is the big day I hope.
I was going to go down and get everything today but I was just trashed from a sleepless night.
So I just didn't feel like doing anything.
I woke up yesterday really depressed but I feel better today.
Why was I depressed?
Because I got up and remembered what it was like to have my wife on the couch and having the coffee already made for us.

But as I said things are better and I am ready to move on with this project.
I dont need to even think about how or what I am going to do.
I just need to start and it will all come to me as to how and what I am going to do.
Some people call this flying by the seat of your pants.
Others call it art.
I like to call it a·vant-garde.

Worth
Old June 12, 2016   #149
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Come to think about it I remember some of the older houses here in the US that had sinks that were free standing with two hoses that went to faucets on the wall.
These houses predated the use of running water and indoor toilets.
I also remember the term ((Built In)) kitchen cabinets being used.
Like, "The house has built in cabinets."
My father and I even sometimes use the term cupboard.
To use the term built in would mean there had to be more free standing cabinets here at one time.

Worth
I remember when the kitchen table was the main work space, with a cupboard or two for storing. I liked it that way. I like collective kitchens too, with mismatched cabinets instead of matching built ins.
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2016   #150
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmanns View Post
I remember when the kitchen table was the main work space, with a cupboard or two for storing. I liked it that way. I like collective kitchens too, with mismatched cabinets instead of matching built ins.
We used to joke about the term,"Custom Cabinets" they all looked the same.

Another thing I have been looking into is the gas line I am going to have to run.
I looked into the CSST (Flex) stuff and have heard nothing but bad news about it.
Big house fires and explosions, deaths, some cities have outlawed it.
Not gonna happen here.
Worth