Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 28, 2016   #1606
whistech
Tomatovillian™

Hey Zone 9b, I too love the stems and would rather eat them than the heads and they are delicious in a pot of stew. How far apart do you space your broccoli?
Old August 28, 2016   #1607
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami0731 View Post
Got my EarthBoxes ready and 13 seedlings are in. 12 are in the EBs and one in a 10 gal container, I have a second container but need another bag of Jungle Growth.

Here is my grow list:
Lucky Cross
Lillian's Yellow
Cherokee Chocolate
Brandywine Red
Cherokee Green
Cherokee Purple
Mountain Gold
Black Cherry
Black Krim
Black Sea Man

The only one's giving me trouble are Mountain Gold and Chrokee Purple. The seedlings are much smaller than the others and Mountain Gold just does not look real healthy. The Cherokee Purples look healthy, just small.
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2016   #1608
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

The zone maps in FL are a bit hard to believe sometimes. I am in Orlando which is significantly North of Parrish and of course Parrish is mush closer to the water than Orlando and i'm supposed to believe that I have a more tropical climate than you do in Parrish. I don't get it. Maybe someone can explain it to me. Nice grow list. Sorry for the disconnected quote. I really don't know how that happed.
Larry

Last edited by Zone9b; August 28, 2016 at 08:32 PM.
Old August 28, 2016   #1609
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistech View Post
Hey Zone 9b, I too love the stems and would rather eat them than the heads and they are delicious in a pot of stew. How far apart do you space your broccoli?
Row spacing is 11 1/2" which allowed me 5 rows in the bed. Spacing within the row is 8". A while back I read an article which encouraged closer spacing in order to increase total yield. If you're interested you can read what other Tomatovillians and I had to say about it here. The discussion starts towards the bottom of the page.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...t=31942&page=2
Larry

Last edited by Zone9b; August 28, 2016 at 09:26 PM.
Old August 31, 2016   #1610
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

So it's been pouring nonstop for the last 4 weeks. And all the tomatoes I grew are dead/dying from septoria, except for Rapunzel, which seems to be doing well, for now.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2016   #1611
schill93
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjohnson View Post
So it's been pouring nonstop for the last 4 weeks. And all the tomatoes I grew are dead/dying from septoria, except for Rapunzel, which seems to be doing well, for now.
Oh, that's heartbreaking. I feel your pain. Don't give up on them quite yet though.
Something to consider for Florida, where it rains constantly are the Earthboxes that use a cover. If you use containers, you can just place a plastic bag over them make a X cut out to plant the plants in, but you will need to tlift it up to water and fertilize. A real pain. That is why the Earthboxes are so popular there.

Last edited by schill93; August 31, 2016 at 01:45 PM.
schill93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2016   #1612
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I have done everything I can to get ready for the storm that is suppose to pass through here. I am worried about my tomato plants that are already outside. It seems like with every storm I end up with fallen tree limbs from my neighbors. For some reason they fall in my yard instead of theirs.

Even if my cherry tomatoes do not survive the storm, my house tomatoes (micro dwarfs) will. I have tiny tomatoes on three varieties. For all of those that love the Vegibee as much as I do, I have to tell you it is a daily ritual that pays off.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2016   #1613
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

How is everyone doing with this storm/Hermine?

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2016   #1614
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Yes how is everyone doing?

Ella, my in-laws are in town and we went to Longwood Gardens and did the Philadelphia historical touring for a few days plus Amish country. The other thing they wanted to see was the Jersey shore so we had a place booked for sat through tuesday upcoming but we cancelled it since now the storm is forecast to stall here for sat through monday. What is the latest wether report you have seen foe our area? Are they still predicting coastal flooding?

Kay how are things?

Jax how goes it?

Max are you in it too? I use tapatalk on my phone and it doesnt show locations.

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2016   #1615
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami0731 View Post
Got my EarthBoxes ready and 13 seedlings are in. 12 are in the EBs and one in a 10 gal container, I have a second container but need another bag of Jungle Growth.

Here is my grow list:
Lucky Cross
Lillian's Yellow
Cherokee Chocolate
Brandywine Red
Cherokee Green
Cherokee Purple
Mountain Gold
Black Cherry
Black Krim
Black Sea Man

The only one's giving me trouble are Mountain Gold and Chrokee Purple. The seedlings are much smaller than the others and Mountain Gold just does not look real healthy. The Cherokee Purples look healthy, just small.
Nice list of tomato plants!

Ginny
Old September 2, 2016   #1616
kurt
Tomatovillian™

It will be some good water aquifer replenishment,will help with the salt water intrusion,good crops this upcoming season.The winds and storms will rip apart trees,send seeds downwind/downstream,new growths,maybe a fire or two to explode some pine cones.All in a day or two.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/storms/HERMINE.html
Old September 2, 2016   #1617
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

So far I have been lucky. I have not lost power and there are no downed trees or big limbs.
It is still very windy and my neighbors trees are over the power line to my house. I am just hoping none of fall on it in this wind. The pool is close to overflowing so I will need to drain some water out when I feel it is safe to be out. We really did need this rain though. It has been so dry here.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2016   #1618
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
So far I have been lucky. I have not lost power and there are no downed trees or big limbs.
It is still very windy and my neighbors trees are over the power line to my house. I am just hoping none of fall on it in this wind. The pool is close to overflowing so I will need to drain some water out when I feel it is safe to be out. We really did need this rain though. It has been so dry here.
So good to hear that you're safe, and getting that good rain. I wish I could send you some of ours!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2016   #1619
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Kay - Happy to hear that you and your home are safe.

BTW - I have 2 peppers on the Albino Bullnose that are now orangy.

----
Ginger - Are you back yet? I started the Arvarski seeds for your swap yesterday. Hopefully they will be big enough by mid-October because they are such a great producer of perfect peppers with long shelf life.

We even got rain over the last 2 days from the front. A rare occurrence. Wind was really bad and knocked over several of my pepper plants including the Marconis in EB and broke the cinderblock which I've been using to keep it upright.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2016   #1620
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
It will be some good water aquifer replenishment,will help with the salt water intrusion,good crops this upcoming season.The winds and storms will rip apart trees,send seeds downwind/downstream,new growths,maybe a fire or two to explode some pine cones.All in a day or two.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/storms/HERMINE.html
Good point! Renewal.

Ginny