Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 14, 2007   #151
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Spatz,

I think it might be a male thing, but I much prefer the heavy work: digging, carting, tilling, pruning, hauling... this this my fave... I'm not so good on the fine work and details. I like to burn kjs or calories.

Having said that, I transplanted one whole tray today, that is, 24 tomatoes x 2 in case one dies = 48 cups in two cut-down veggie boxes, using the offcuts of foam as chocks to lock the cups in place so I can pickup a whole box of seedlings and move them around.

Now get this: i had a brief look around and couldn't find any potting mix and my markers were dry, as in no ink, so I headed out to the nursery for a bag of potting mix and they had this special on really cool organic products - potting mixes and ferts - and I bought 20 bags of 30ltr mox and 4 bags of 30ltr fert, plus a pot of basil, some apple cukes and then loaded the car and forgot the marker, so I got home and had to go to the newsagency and bought the pen, then came home and potted up and shifted mixes and marked the cups and now all if good... about $250 later. Lol.

So, I have transplanted a whole lot and am one third of the way through it all and have two more trays to go... including the dwarves. Also, I will add best-ever germination.

After all this... then I transplant peppers and eggies...

And right now I have about 100 bags or maybe 150 bags of various mizxes piled up.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2007   #152
cosmicgardener
Tomatovillian™

Grub, I often buy when on special and leave the bags in a shaded spot, where they won;t be disturbed for a few months and with a slit hole cut in them close to the ground. It isn't long before the earthworms find it and by next year when I come to use it, they have cleaned up all the dross and rubbish and created great composted mix. I'll be looking for specials soon as the potting season is over. I discovere this by accident and never use new potting mix if I can help it.

cheers
cosmic
cosmicgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2007   #153
tessa
Tomatovillian™

oops...sorry spatz.
how did i miss that?
tessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2007   #154
Grub
Tomatovillian™

That's great to know, Cosi, as I have bags and bags of stuff at the moment.

Just finished transplanting all my tomatoes!!!

That's 116 cups, each with a seedling... a real test of patience for me.

Of course, there is a spare for each so will end up growing only half that many.

Hopefully, I will find a home for the rest.

And stay tuned for the dwarf results...

Best, Grub.
Old September 15, 2007   #155
cosmicgardener
Tomatovillian™

Well done - it took me nearly three days - I potted direct into their final pots also put two in each and have repotted some of the duplicates as the orders came in. I've sold about 450 now, so should raise $1200 for the Holman Clinic Patient Comfort Fund- maybe get them a GOOD coffee machine instead of the Nescafe jar. Have had to close off orders, just got about 20 for myself set aside and starting on the Capsicums and Eggies. We got to 16 degrees outside today, 32 in the hothouse - had to open the door. Spring in Sprung! It is tedious work, I don;t mind the planting on because I love to see how they ramp on in days. It's writing the labels is the killer for me, I try to get the kids to do it, but they go " Oh no, remember last year.....boring" I'm giving a bonus GMG with all orders of 20 plants or more with a request for feedback.
Old September 15, 2007   #156
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

Cosmic - Good to see the support for the Holman Clinic, the tomatoes are well patronised and a sure fire way to make a few dollars.

Grub - The hard bit has been done now, so you can put your feet up and watch them grow now.

Warm here today and the tomatoes are loving it. Keeping the humidity up helps kick them on.

Won't be long before I start and harden some plants off here. I'm all ready to go and when the plants are too, I'll start to plant.
mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2007   #157
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the pat on the back. And really nice to see you're getting them out there Cosi and raising some bucks for a good cause. It's great to hear GMG is getting around.

McSee... I finished the big job, then went for a two-hour walk with mum and Summer and now, finally, a cold beer and the feet up .

Because I overwintered a lot of peppers and eggies I only have about 20 of each to pot up this year and there's a way for them to go before that.

Yeeeehhhhhhaaaaaaa... only have two beds left to prep, one full of silverbeet, the other loaded with four rows of three different radishes that are just forming bulbs.... got four boxes of salad greens so it will be salads here soon.... which reminds me, better get the sprouts out... sprouting time

Last edited by Grub; September 15, 2007 at 06:07 AM.
Old September 15, 2007   #158
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

Only slightly off topic.
Okay!
Quite off topic.
Alright!
Way off topic!
Have you tried sprouting pepitas Grub? Just curious.
Old September 15, 2007   #159
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ray,

Pepitas happen to be one of my favourite seeds or 'nuts' and I love them, but I have never tried the sprouts... tell me more... we are mad about sprouts and you have helped us with sprouting them in the past.

Where do I get the seeds?

Grub, keen for sprouted pepitas.
Old September 15, 2007   #160
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Just checked the sprout bag Ray,

I have:

100g (that's a lot) of Mustard White
100g of Brocc' sprouts
400g of Mung Beans
Almost 400g of Fenugreek (my fave)
A handful of Snow Peas
Some (sterile) Mustard White which is why I got the replacement seeds above.

Just to bring this back on topic — The Grubs really enjoy a breakfast of toast with Cottage Cheese and sliced premium home-grown tomato, topped with sprouts... and we put them in salad, particularly one that has yellow and green tomato wedges.

Okay, that's me done for sprouting off...

Ta.

Last edited by Grub; September 15, 2007 at 06:47 AM.
Old September 15, 2007   #161
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

I'm a long way from fresh tomatoes. I want to try a few different cherries as I really enjoy them - great in salads and in pasta dishes. This year I have, for the first time, Amish Salad, Dr Carolyn, Ida Gold and Riesentraube, and making a reappearance, Black Cherry and Galina's (a regular). Not really cherries but small nevertheless I have, for the first time, Earl of Edgecombe, Golden Dwarf Champion, and Lime Green Salad and the regulars Jaune Flammée and Kimberly.
I'm hoping Riesentraube is good as I'd like to find a good red cherry.
Old September 15, 2007   #162
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

Pepitas from a health food store or grow your own. The pumpkin Lady Godiva produces lots of virtually hulless seeds. I haven't tried sprouting pepitas myself. I thought you might have Grub.

Back on topic, what's your favourite red or pink cherry?
Old September 15, 2007   #163
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Ray,

That's a tough question: picking a favourite red of pink cherry isn't easy because, for me, to date, I haven'ty found one. I think I am in the same boat as Earl here... which is why I am trying his Peruvian Bush this season.

Otherwise, it would be Rose Quartz Multiflora... you wanna try it?
Old September 15, 2007   #164
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Riesentraube are wonderful Ray. Full flavoured cherries but not sweet. The only small ones I have are Yellow Submarine, Juanne Flammee and Lime Green Salad with the later two making a comeback cause I love them
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2007   #165
cosmicgardener
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing Jaunne Flamme, Riesenstraube, Garden Peach (love 'em) and Lime Green Salad for myself this year. Thinking about Black Cherry just for the look of a plate of cherries.

cosmic