Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old June 27, 2016   #151
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Alright PureHarvest! The plants and maters are looking awesome. Hopefully as the season goes the Paul Robeson's will taste better. Glad to see your tasting you first fruits.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2016   #152
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing 2 Paul Robeson's. We could have an opportunity to better understand the effects of climate on taste, because we use a nearly identical fert program.

Was dismayed to hear the taste was inferior, I was so optimistic after reading all the stellar reviews on Robeson's. I'm hopeful they start tasting better as the plant matures.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2016   #153
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

It is fairly well established that dry conditions (or high EC) contribute favorably to flavor profile, increased dry matter, increased brix, increased acidity. The problem is that the conditions that favor high flavor tend to reduce production.

Got to find your balance.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2016   #154
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

I'm hoping the lack of heat and sun for the entire month of May into June was a factor too, because we are going on week 4 of sun and temperature sweet spot. 78-85 day/60-68 at night.
Tried my first pink Berkeley tie dye. Beautiful interior. Excellent texture and juice/gel.
Flavor was good not great. Better than the PR from yesterday.
Good tomato flavor but still needed a few grains of salt to bring out the appeal.
Could have had a little more sweetness for my pallet to be considered excellent.
Production seems average, so for a commercial endeavor, I'm on the fence. Though the visual appeal in and out is winner.
Will upload pics soon.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2016   #155
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

3 Paul Robeson, different satges of ripeness

IMG_1396.JPG

Dwarf Wild Spudleaf

IMG_1397.JPG

Unripe PR

IMG_1398.JPG

Pink Berkeley Tie Dye

IMG_1405.JPG

Medley: Top Left-Wild Spudleaf, Top Right 3 Beryl Beauy, Mid Left- Black Beauty, Middle and bottom left PR, Bottom Right-Wild Spudleaf

IMG_1406.JPG

Wild Spudleaf Loading up.

IMG_1404.JPG
Old June 28, 2016   #156
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

And just for fun, my son's pitching stance for Pat Knight tournament (sort of a notch below all-stars).
Been challenging to manage the tunnel the last week going to the games practically right from work. They will have played 7 nights straight by Thursday.
I missed the first inning tonight, because I had to get fert mixed. So, the only inning I've missed all week and he came in at the top of the 2nd with 2 on and struck out the side. Got there in the bottom of the second to see him walk and steal 2nd, 3rd, and score. He went on to pitch the 3rd, 4th, and 5th, giving up 0 runs, 1 hit, and striking out 6.
He is by no means an all-star, so it was fun to see. They gave him the game ball.
Just thought I'd share, because we all do have lives outside of our tomato journeys.
Tomatoes and baseball, life is good.

IMG_1393.JPG
Old June 29, 2016   #157
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

He looks like a little champ. Next year the all stars.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2016   #158
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Just tried my first Wild Spudleaf.
Excellent texture like everything I've tried this year. Not as juicy as others but taste was very good. Good tomato aftertaste too.
More flavor and a tad more sweetness than Paul Robeson or PBTD from last night. My son noticed the difference too without me saying anything.
His comment was, "that does not need salt, and is better than what we ate last night".
I concur, except I am waiting to eat a variety that does not need a few grains of salt for me to want to finish the whole thing.
Does that exist?
So Spud is tasty, and the size are good, and is producing heavily. Will wait and see what it's total yield will be. Might be commercially viable.
If it can yield 15lbs of marketable fruit, it is a winner in my system. I can fit 2x the amount of dwarfs vs full size in the same tunnel to make up the yield difference, and without all the training, suckering, and lowering costs in labor...

Last edited by PureHarvest; June 29, 2016 at 09:16 PM.
Old July 2, 2016   #159
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Waiting for first time tastes on 6 different dwarfs, Chapman, Delicious, GGWR, GBTDye, Pierce's Pride, Large Barred Boar, Black and Brown Boar.

Beryl Beauty and Wild Spudleaf still my faves thus far. WSpudleaf is also a great looking tomato when fully ripe. Waiting on a non-dwarf to step up.

Here is what today, 7/2/2016, is looking like:

This is a Brandy Fred. The perspective is not what I hoped. This thing is Yuuuge.

IMG_1412.JPG

IMG_1413.JPG

IMG_1423.JPG

IMG_1417.JPG

IMG_1418.JPG

IMG_1419.JPG

IMG_1421.JPG

Last edited by PureHarvest; July 2, 2016 at 03:49 PM.
Old July 2, 2016   #160
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Al my pics are just thumb nails with image name, size, and KB.

That is on my PC or iphone. They are almost never viewable when I'm on TVille on my iphone, but never had that with my PC.

I give up.

Bottom line, tomatoes are looking good. Loaded up, was hoping to be filling some boxes by next weekend, but not looking like it. Lots of green fruit loaded, just no breakers yet.
On the bright side, the potential is there and waiting...
Old July 2, 2016   #161
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Some fantastic fruit sets on the heirlooms, mine are good too, which has astonished me as hot as it's been. I thought it was going to be tougher, not that it couldn't fall apart tomorrow, just saying I've taken no extraordinary measures. I don't willfully thump or shake branches, but we've had an unusually good year for bumble bees, and that gives pause about seed saving.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2016   #162
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Black Beauty

IMG_1428.JPG

IMG_1430.JPG

Mr. Nose

IMG_1427.JPG
Old July 10, 2016   #163
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHarvest View Post
Al my pics are just thumb nails with image name, size, and KB.

That is on my PC or iphone. They are almost never viewable when I'm on TVille on my iphone, but never had that with my PC.

I give up.

Bottom line, tomatoes are looking good. Loaded up, was hoping to be filling some boxes by next weekend, but not looking like it. Lots of green fruit loaded, just no breakers yet.
On the bright side, the potential is there and waiting...
When I was growing a lot of maters for market it was a sad day when the ripening began, because I knew at that point I had done about all I could do.
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2016   #164
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Gonna be making my first delivery today to a restaurant.
A whopping 1 box, 10 lb, single layer lol.
But it all has to start with something. I'm glad to be on my way.
Stink bugs are gonna limit my marketable fruit this year.
Next year I am gonna screen my sides so when they are rolled up they can't get in.
Old July 16, 2016   #165
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Harvesting every day now. Probably have 40-50 lbs ripening inside my cool basement right now.
Delivered 7 boxes this week, so that was cool.
Hopefully some of you can see these pics. I can no longer see pictures that I post from either my pc or iphone. I don't know what has changed in the last 2 or so weeks, but I can't see any photos I have posted going back in time or current. The only place is at my pc at work. I used to be able to view from all 3 devices...
All I see is this:
Name: IMG_1440 (480x640).jpg Views: 0 Size: 202.0 KB
Name: IMG_1441 (480x640).jpgViews: 0Size: 188.0 KB
Name: IMG_1442 (480x640).jpgViews: 0Size: 188.4 KB
Name: IMG_1443 (480x640).jpgViews: 0Size: 186.4 KB
Name: IMG_1444 (480x640).jpgViews: 0Size: 201.3 KB

IMG_1440 (480x640).jpg

IMG_1441 (480x640).jpg

IMG_1442 (480x640).jpg

IMG_1443 (480x640).jpg

IMG_1444 (480x640).jpg

Last edited by PureHarvest; July 16, 2016 at 09:03 PM.