Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 30, 2016   #151
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

My lone DB is in the same raised bed as CP, IS, BFT , and ANANAS NOIRE. Competition is severe.
My DB is on the south edge and I am trying to keep it short and bushy by allowing all the suckers stay on . I prune the other 4.
In a way this is an experiment to make an indet to act like a determinant. Also it will be interesting to observe the effects of NO PRUNING in production.
Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2016   #152
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
My lone DB is in the same raised bed as CP, IS, BFT , and ANANAS NOIRE. Competition is severe.
My DB is on the south edge and I am trying to keep it short and bushy by allowing all the suckers stay on . I prune the other 4.
In a way this is an experiment to make an indet to act like a determinant. Also it will be interesting to observe the effects of NO PRUNING in production.
Gardeneer
That sounds like a fun experiment to try. I don't recall having to prune my DB much last season. Of course my memory is not perfect anymore... I do know that it was the only tomato that I did not have to top at the end of the season. I really liked the fact that it was a nice stocky plant and I could harvest all of its fruit.
Old May 30, 2016   #153
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

You're so kind and so enabling! If I had a spot I'd take you up but I am full for this year. With bucket tomatoes (8 dwarfs) I'm at 24 which is many more than we need but the tomatoes will not go to waste!

I'm tentatively planning on doing a mini black tomato trial next year, in addition to Black Krim, DB and Noire de Crimee.

Hope your season is a good one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
WHAT??? You are going to be missing out on the best tasting tomato of the year! Well OK, second to Cherokee Purple.

I tell you what Jim, there is no need to watch this thread from afar when you too can be growing one of these fantastic tasting tomatoes. I seem to have 30 more plants of DB over here that I did not get into the ground today. You are not all that far away, I would be happy to give you a few so that you can join in the fun. You can fit them between the marigolds that edge your beds. We all have room for just one more...
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2016   #154
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

First I want to point out that I started way too late for my area, I just had too many things going on. The temps here in Louisiana have been in the high 80's and lows hovering around 70. Yesterday the temp was 92 and humidity was 95%.

I started 2 plants from the seed swap and I'm impressed at how stocky they are. I see they're just starting to put on flowers so hopefully I get a few to try.

This will definitely be a test for fruit set in high temps. I have them in a half 55 gallon drum so I can move them if I have to. The place they're in now gets dappled sun in the morning and full sun from 11AM till about 6PM.

Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2016   #155
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Rajun Gardner your plants look very nice. I do hope that you have some fruit from these plants as I do believe that you will really like them. My Curtis Cheek is VERY tall. Thank you!

This is a good thread to be watching how Daniel Burson performs. We have Daniel Burson growing across the country and being evaluated by many different growers under varied conditions. It is growing from Montreal and Minnesota and Washington down to Alabama and Louisiana. It is growing across the US from California and Wyoming to Connecticut and North and South Carolina. It's growing in cool climates as well as some blistering ones. I am anxious to see all of our results. This should be very interesting to follow. I hope that Bill Jeffers is watching how his tomato does.

Thanks everyone for sharing your Daniel Burson plants with us!
Old May 31, 2016   #156
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

MissS, I think you have me confused for someone else, who's Curtis Creek?

I did get the seeds from you so that should boost your Enabling powers. I have also been watching this thread since it started but just posted.

I'll keep you posted on the growth and production.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2016   #157
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
MissS, I think you have me confused for someone else, who's Curtis Creek?

I did get the seeds from you so that should boost your Enabling powers. I have also been watching this thread since it started but just posted.

I'll keep you posted on the growth and production.
Oops! My mistake... I did get you mixed up with someone else.
Old May 31, 2016   #158
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
Rajun Gardner your plants look very nice. I do hope that you have some fruit from these plants as I do believe that you will really like them. My Curtis Cheek is VERY tall. Thank you!

This is a good thread to be watching how Daniel Burson performs. We have Daniel Burson growing across the country and being evaluated by many different growers under varied conditions. It is growing from Montreal and Minnesota and Washington down to Alabama and Louisiana. It is growing across the US from California and Wyoming to Connecticut and North and South Carolina. It's growing in cool climates as well as some blistering ones. I am anxious to see all of our results. This should be very interesting to follow. I hope that Bill Jeffers is watching how his tomato does.

Thanks everyone for sharing your Daniel Burson plants with us!

It is interesting o find out where DB performs better /best.
Certainly in our PNW (WA) , mine is doing just fine, with lots of blossoms (and one mega bloom). What is more (to me) is that Db is growing along with other dark tomatoes, including CP and IS. plus 3 more. One of them is what you see in my current avatar.
Gardeneer
Old May 31, 2016   #159
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

OK,OK, after all the hoo-ha Daniel Burson is on my 2017 grow list. Thanks for the interesting thread.
Old June 1, 2016   #160
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Ok I hate to seem really stupid tech wise, but I have a couple of photos of DB and will have more now that one is planted and the other about to be planted. I took photos with my iPhone. How do I post photos on TV?

BTW, one DB is quite solid and stocky. The other had a slower start but is looking good. The two I gave away were definitely very thick and healthy. I'm very excited to see how this one grows!
Thanks Sharon
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2016   #161
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Sharon don't feel so bad... I don't know how to do it either and I don't even have a cell phone to take any photos with. I got mad at my service and got rid of it the first week I had it...

But Mischka has helped us out with this thread: http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=406
Old June 2, 2016   #162
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
OK,OK, after all the hoo-ha Daniel Burson is on my 2017 grow list. Thanks for the interesting thread.
Here is how you can post picture directly from your computer.
1- first you have to be in "Advanced" message screen.
2- on the top , to the top to the right of smilies icon find "Attachements" and click on it.
3- once done that a window should pop up.
4- click on the top "Browse"
5- now you will be in your computer.
6- find the folder that you have the picture in it.
7- Right click on it , the click "Open"
now you will be back at the pop up window, showing the name of your picture.
LETS SAY FOR NOW THAT IT IS THE ONLY PICTURE YOU WANT TO ATTACH.
8- click "Upload". wait a few second and click "Close this window"

9-now you are back at square one (hehe) you won't be able to see your picture. But if you click on "Review Post" you will see it there.
10 - you then scroll to your message window.
are you done with it ? Or you wan to add more text it ?
Once done, Just click on " Submit reply"

-----------------------
ps; once you did above you should see your message and your attached photo.

Gardeneer

Last edited by Gardeneer; June 2, 2016 at 03:58 AM.
Old June 2, 2016   #163
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Well my DB have yet to set fruit, my ISPL and Cherokee Purple have several, but it is covered in blooms so shouldn't be much longer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160601_163556-resized-960.jpg (307.9 KB, 222 views)
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2016   #164
hunter
Tomatovillian™

This is my new favorite thread! Thanks to everybody for these updates. It's fascinating.
hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2016   #165
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Well my DB have yet to set fruit, my ISPL and Cherokee Purple have several, but it is covered in blooms so shouldn't be much longer.
So is mine, covered in blooms and there is a MEGA one there on it too.
I am looking to get a MEGA MATER.

Gardeneer