Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 13, 2016   #1711
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Ginny, that oughta hold ya! Hahahaha!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2016   #1712
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Yeah right? Hahahaha

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2016   #1713
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Well, look at all of you getting really busy. I guess season started! Good luck you all.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2016   #1714
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Well, look at all of you getting really busy. I guess season started! Good luck you all.
Thank You. I'm sure I'll need it.
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2016   #1715
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

How are you all doing. My seedlings are 12 days from seed, looking great, very vigorous. And it finally stopped raining.
I had 6 varieties no show out of the 105, and after that I did germination tests on the last of my seeds, still no show on all except 1.
How has germination been for all of you?
Ginny, how are your teenagers?
Barb, how are your peppers? My Sweet Success cuke plant is going nuts, about 10 are forming, I would guess. Thank you so much for the seeds.
Old September 15, 2016   #1716
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Marsha - Take a picture of your babies.

BTW - what seeds didn't germinate? I had great germination for everything. The peppers slated for Oct 15 are tiny; but have germinated. Only one has true leaves.

The Enjoya peppers are much quicker growers.

I'm growing Diva cucumber - it is slow SLOW compared to Sweet Success or Beta Alphas. No sign of a flower....

I will take new pic of my toddlers from the embryos that Marsha, Kay, and Ginny sent.

Tuesday was really bad for rain and huge wind all day. I ended up taking most of my seedlings in the garage. It only rained / wind later on Weds night I left most them on the porch but surrounded them for a wind barrier.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2016   #1717
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Marsha - Take a picture of your babies.

BTW - what seeds didn't germinate? I had great germination for everything. The peppers slated for Oct 15 are tiny; but have germinated. Only one has true leaves.

The Enjoya peppers are much quicker growers.

I'm growing Diva cucumber - it is slow SLOW compared to Sweet Success or Beta Alphas. No sign of a flower....

I will take new pic of my toddlers from the embryos that Marsha, Kay, and Ginny sent.

Tuesday was really bad for rain and huge wind all day. I ended up taking most of my seedlings in the garage. It only rained / wind later on Weds night I left most them on the porch but surrounded them for a wind barrier.
None of yours failed to germinate. I may send you an email to tell what seeds did fail, but I don't want to post that in public, out of sensitivity for the seed donors, as one ia now a seed seller, and also is a friend.
My enjoyas are very rapid growers too. They are almost a foot high.
I lost 3 tender young pepper plants(I think they are lost anyways) to snails overnight. They mowed them down, cutting them at the soil line, like cutworms, only I saw them.
Little rat ba$tids.
Old September 15, 2016   #1718
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Send me an email - if I have the seeds I will sow them and bring them on 10/15.

Also, I've had pepper plants completely stripped by snails and they came back. Not sure on new seedlings though. Slug and Snail bait works wonders for snails and lasts weeks. I'm on Amazon Prime, so I can order it for you. Another thing that supposed to work is the Crab Shells.

https://www.amazon.com/Garden-Safe-S...d+snail+killer

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...wngarden%2C191

(I've been putting the crab shells on the bottom on my root pouches and also within the mix on the EB for a few seasons now) suppose to be good for nematodes too.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2016   #1719
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Marsha bummer on the snails.

My husband and I discussed the situation and we think we are going to have to top the teenagers to get them home... lol. I really dont think it will hurt them. They have lots of suckers starting and the ones I topped over the summer just kept putting out more and more suckers even though I had pinched them all.

I'm still in Palm Springs, CA working so I will figure it out when I get back to Philly. Hubby is also having second thoughts about me going to Florida and leaving him behind. All summer I have been getting up at 5am to make him breakfast sandwiches and pack his lunch and fix his water/ice/lemon in two big yeti cups that he takes to work everyday So he has been missing that service while I've been away... lol and isnt sure about me leaving him again.

Ginny

Last edited by Fiishergurl; September 15, 2016 at 03:25 PM.
Old September 15, 2016   #1720
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Marsha bummer on the snails.

My husband and I discussed the situation and we think we are going to have to top the teenagers to get them home... lol. I really dont think it will hurt them. They have lots of suckers starting and the ones I topped over the summer just kept putting out more and more suckers even though I had pinched them all.

I'm still in Palm Springs, CA working so I will figure it out when I get back to Philly. Hubby is also having second thoughts about me going to Florida and leaving him behind. All summer I have been getting up at 5am to make him breakfast sandwiches and pack his lunch and fix his water/ice/lemon in two big yeti cups that he takes to work everyday So he has been missing that service while I've been away... lol and isnt sure about me leaving him again.

Ginny
Geeze Ginny, remind him he's a grownup.
Old September 16, 2016   #1721
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default For Ella and Barb

Heres the babies we will transplant tomorrow. I have a volunteer team of 6.

First tray:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (194.9 KB, 57 views)
Old September 16, 2016   #1722
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

The second tray:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (183.5 KB, 59 views)
Old September 16, 2016   #1723
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

They look great. I am glad you have help stepping all these babies up.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2016   #1724
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Marsha,

They look so healthy!! How many will you end up with?

As for hubby... it makes feel needed so I dont mind. Plus he does the same for me when Im working and hes not... :-)

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Old September 16, 2016   #1725
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

About snails. I lost too many cucumbers seeded directly because of them, you see nice seedling in the morning and coming back from work to a green stick.
Try DE powder around it, if soil to moist you need lots of DE. Snails do not like dry DE.

Marsha, your little babies look great, quite big for 12 days. What are you feeding them? Fish?

Marsha, I hope that variety with 1 seed did germinate (darn dawg, hehe).

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote