Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old April 9, 2011   #166
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

A row of a atv/atv F3 line in a flat of normal seedlings. This line has great anthocyanin in the foliage, but lacks Aft - so the fruit is normal. It's a great looking red with gold stripes, so I'll cross to one of my striped Aft lines this summer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1746.JPG (552.5 KB, 132 views)
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2011   #167
turtleheart
Tomatovillian™

Default F2 plant Black and Brown Boar x OSU Blue

sure is a lovely tomato. may i have message functions back please?

Last edited by turtleheart; July 10, 2011 at 07:38 PM. Reason: terms of use
turtleheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2011   #168
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleheart View Post
Frogsleap farm, is there any way i might be able to get f1 and/or f2 seed for your Black and Brown Boar x OSU Blue? i have many seeds you may find of interest in trade, i grow some native landraces that may be totally extinct in the rest of the world. please feel free to contact me. my email is goodmindseeds@gardener.com
These lines are in very early stages of development, and far from stable. I'll be working hard to stabilize and fine tune over the next few years, and then decide next steps.
Old April 27, 2011   #169
turtleheart
Tomatovillian™

sure is a lovely tomato. may i have message functions back please?

Last edited by turtleheart; July 10, 2011 at 07:38 PM. Reason: terms of use
turtleheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2011   #170
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Folks - please, please don't use discussion threads to ask for seeds unless a seed offer in that particular thread has clearly been made.

For one, it puts the person attempting to discuss and share info about a cross or a variety they are growing on the spot, and it really isn't fair to them. In addition, it takes the thread off-topic.

It also has the tendency (in my personal experience participating on various gardening forums over the years) to make people think twice before they dare to share any info about varieties or crosses they may be growing. It can have the effect of limiting good, worthwhile discussion because most people don't want to receive a bunch of unsolicited seed requests just based on some interesting info they've been kind enough to take the time to share with the rest of us.

Thanks.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2011   #171
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I haven't been really observant with the seeds I have for these. I got some in a trade last year and the pics below are from the seeds I saved last fall.

The pics aren't the greatest because I tried to get a whole flat in the pic. But I noticed besides the fact that some have more or less blue in the stems and leaves, there are at least 3 or 4 leaf types.

There are a few obvious potato leaf plants, a few that seem to be a mitten or maybe a transitional PL/RL There are some RL and a rather frilly RL.

I personally am NOT doing any crosses. I just don't have the time or energy to try that. But if there is interest and I have the energy, I will try to save the seeds by leaf type this fall.

Let me know if I should do that.

Carol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg osublue-2.jpg (187.0 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg osublue-1.jpg (180.6 KB, 83 views)
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2011   #172
WillysWoodPile

Here is one of my OSU Blue from Solana Seeds. These were in the basement under lights.

Old April 30, 2011   #173
travis
Tomatovillian™

That does not appear to be the leaf type most common for OSU Blue, Willy. Carol, you got some crazy looking stuff too. This OSU Blue sure continues to be unstable, from the looks of it.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2011   #174
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Both of the unstable blues I am growing out. One is OSU blue the other is one of Tom Wagner's F3's have what I have seen called The compound wild-type tomato leaf, Very fine regular leaf with separation. Have seen it posted using WT as the leaf type instead of RL or PL.
Old April 30, 2011   #175
WillysWoodPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
That does not appear to be the leaf type most common for OSU Blue, Willy. Carol, you got some crazy looking stuff too. This OSU Blue sure continues to be unstable, from the looks of it.
I'm not hip on the leaf-type yet, but other OSU Blues, Larges, and Stripeys seem to exhibit much more antho' in the stems and leaves [than my plants].
When they were sproutlings I had them in the morning sun and the stems exhibited lots of antho'. Less so later as they got older. Then when I moved them to the basement under the lights the cool temperatures seemed to trigger the antho'-effect as well.
I have them upstairs in the sun room in dappled light. Eventually I will put them in full sunlight to see the effect.

I am hoping Jim Myers is close to releasing "The Real" P-20.
Old June 20, 2011   #176
WillysWoodPile

My latest OSU Blue. This is the one in town:

Here's one at the farm:

Old July 9, 2011   #177
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

I was lucky enough to score seed of a couple of Tom Wagner's "blue cherry" lines this year. Shown here are side by side hills of Fahrenheit Blues and Sunshine Blue. I am just now getting fruit set. There was some segregation in both for intensity of anthocyanin in seedlings, but all plants in both show a characteristic leaf rolling that I saw and posted on a couple years ago with OSU Blue. I don't see this in my "blue fruited" F3 lines derived from OSU Blue, so I'm a little baffled with leaf rolling/Aft relationship.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OSU-type curled leaves.jpg (826.8 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by frogsleap farm; July 9, 2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old July 11, 2011   #178
WillysWoodPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogsleap farm View Post
This is my first year growing OSU blue, and I've encountered a few surprizes. It was one of the first tomato plants to flower in my garden, though fruit development has lagged behind a few of the other "earlies". The anthocyanin accumulation in vegetative parts is very strong early, and then fades rapidly. The purple pigmentation now remains only in the base of the stem. Pigmentation in the fruit is very light dependent (see photo). This plant is on the west edge of a raised bed, with the top of the fruit getting exposed full sun for a couple hours late in the day. Where fruit is shaded all day by foliage, pigmentation is muted. I've made several crosses now with OSU Blue/P20 as both the male and female parent (other photo). The seedling "anthocyanin phenotype" is so strong, I think with OSU as the female I can segregate selfs from F1 crosses - plus I emasculated early. Most of the OSU male parent crosses are to PL females (e.g. PPPxPP "C"). One last observation, OSU Blue appears to be a Septoria magnet.
--- Here is Dancing With The Smurfs, also from Tom Wagner. Although not as pronounced, the leaf-curl is readily apparent here too.
Old July 12, 2011   #179
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

The pedigree of the OSU Blue includes some determinate lines of tomatoes from California. The heritage includes a natural rolling of the leaves. That facilitates the penetration of the sun to get uniform ripening of all of the tomatoes for a once over picking. These gens came especially from the NE USA back in the days of needing earliness and the rolling trait was linked to harvest success.

Here in the PNW....it is a trait that gets involved because successful candidates for naming clones can easily have the rolling leaf trait. It also helps t control catfacing. I use the adaxial leaf curl gene as it is associated with the n (nippled) gene for pinpoint blossom end scar. There are undoubtedly other genes but I am not referring to them now.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2011   #180
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

A couple of photos of early Aft fruit. The first photo is a F3 line that combines gs (stripes) and Aft/atv. It's really striking in the green fruit stage where anthocyanin accumulates in the stripes. The F2 parent had dark red flesh and black stripes on deep red skin color, with black shoulders. The second photo is fruit from a F1 plant between one of my Aft/atv F2s and BTD heart. Some slight anthocyanin showing even in this generation (no that's not dirt from my grubby little fingers).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg indigo tiger FLF.jpg (136.8 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg Aft F1.jpg (142.8 KB, 69 views)