Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 6, 2017   #166
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patti..The Garden centre that basicly hung up on me ...is where I bought the soil from so I rang them back and got through to the landscaping division and he was at least helpful....the only one he knew that could be of some help was Tui's Tomato Food which he said was very high in Potash.... So I will look it up and see the numbers on it.... Cheers Ron.

PS..I think I have some of this???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tui_Tfood_2017-02-07_134833.jpg (77.2 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by murihikukid; February 6, 2017 at 07:50 PM.
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2017   #167
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Ron, go right ahead and buy some more MG. So far it is the best product that you have shown me so far and your plants seem to be doing well with it. 4-18-38 is a specialty fertilizer. You will most likely find it at a hydroponics store or online at a specialty fertilizer company. Let's keep the Tui in mind for now. Also we can work on having you make your own blend if we need to because you can purchase each ingredient separately.
While you are using the MG and Calmag we do need to monitor the growth of your plants to make sure that you are not over feeding them on the nitrogen.

Cheers ~ Patti
Old February 7, 2017   #168
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patt... There are two MG's available.....
(1) Miracle-Gro® MaxFeed Flowers and Blooms Plant Food...N-P-K 20 – 11 - 9 + iron, magnesium and a range of trace elements
(2) Miracle-Gro® MaxFeed Tomato Fruit and Vegetable Plant Food N-P-K 22 - 2 - 10 + 5% calcium to prevent Blossom End Rot + magnesium, iron and a range of trace elements.

I have been using the Tomato one but you may like the flower NPK better?? its the same price...

Theres also this one..Tui Organic General Fertiliser is BioGro certified .N – P – K 4 – 3 – 5 + blood and bone, sulphur, magnesium, calcium & trace elements.

I really need to get the bleach recipe right...I do not know what our measuring utensils are here ...How do I know if I am using a Usa Cup or a UK cup when I bet its a Chinese Cup???

I really need to find out how many Ml to a litre when the bleach strength is 4.95%...Forget about ounces etc ..Once I establish that the Sweet 100 plants will be perfect to try it on....

Lets hope somebody can work it out as my brain is like the weather....not too good...How I would like to get hold of some of that Jobes Tomato product ??Just hope I can get something like that for next season........

BTW I have not as yet given any SeaSol to my plants ...maybe I should...but I do not want to overdo the fertilizer and confuse them...

Regards Ron..

Last edited by murihikukid; February 7, 2017 at 12:42 AM.
Old February 7, 2017   #169
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patti...Another day...I have done my morning inspection and the tomatoes are not looking too bad...Yesterday I was concerned about what I thought was a reaction to Thiram in my plants but its warmer now which I think has helped them......Today I think I see in my $22 TT's a darker foliage....so I presume this could be nitrogen possibly from MG although they have not been watered yet by it.....

I have my 25 seedlings at the stage they should be repotted so that will put more pressure on room in the greenhouse...So far the shelves I installed have been a real bonus as Its opened up space for me to work on my main plants .....
I really have to go to the website where the various varieties have a data base....Hopefully I can see what are deterninate and also the indeterminate that do not grow high....I think Russian Red is one of these and I recall you telling me Paul Robeson was another..I can put these in their own section....

Its amazing how my CAmpari and Black Cherry plants that were planted inside in drums and suffered under bleach spray are now thriving in the greenhouse....I had to scoop the soil around them by hand putting it in a plastic bag..til there was only the plant and rootball which I lifted out and laid out on a long piece of alloy and moved outside...I then lifted the drum out of the freezer and carried it out to the greenhouse and put them together again...I cannot believe how they have survived...and are now going to produce fruit ..at the top while new green foliage is growing down below....
I still have the original #3 TT cutting inside with the Early Girl grafted plant...I actually had two small TT tomatoes last night from #3......All the money I have spent and so far barely fruit to make a sandwich .....Never mind I think I have learnt a lot and I am sure its the calm before the storm and i will soon have tomatoes everywhere....

I went through all the various cages last night ...looking for ideas....It seems to me that PVC tubing is the material to use as it can be obtained rather easily..is cheap...shaped by using heat ....will last forever.....and easy to work with so its a matter of coming up with a design that can be expanded upwards with the plant...
I have the roof glass door roped up for removal...Its now a case of fine weather and some help to lift it up and off the greenhouse so it can be replaced by another door exactly the same but has no wheels....When I get this done I should be able to have a sliding front door which will keep more heat in ...plus there is sealing that needs to be done between the glass doors etc but I find it great just sitting out there and planning my next move....

The drums are great sitting on a tray ..they just spin round on the concrete which makes it so easy to work on..and prevents damage,,
Cheers Ron

Last edited by murihikukid; February 7, 2017 at 06:45 PM.
Old February 7, 2017   #170
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Ron here are companies in NZ that might make you a customized mix. Functional Fertiliser Ltd, 26 Aratiatia Road, Taupo New Zealand Another is Kiwi Fertiliser Co Ltd, 1495 Alexandra Street, Te Awamutu New Zealand Osflo Fertiliser Limited, 70 Hursthouse Road, Bell Block New Plymouth
New Zealand Remediation NZ Ltd T/A Revital Fertilisers, 96 Waitara Road, New Plymouth 4382
New Zealand

Miracle Grow for Flowers would be good until you can find something else to use. You can add more calcium and potassium on your own.

You will see your plants green up from using the Calmag. Calmag assists the plants in taking up and utilizing nitrogen. This is why you now need to be careful with how much nitrogen you are feeding. It is really a very big boost.

Tomatoes are very resilient, they can bounce back from quite a bit of abuse. I am glad to hear that yours are doing well. Have you found homes for any of your surplus plants? If not, it is getting to be time to throw some of them out....

Regards ~ Patti
Old February 7, 2017   #171
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patti...As I read from your reply I would be Best to use the MG flower..Which they sell here as an "All Purpose Plant Food"....

I really do not want to over complicate the feading...or spraying as I did get a shock yesterday when I saw my plants ....

According to my records I water next with CalMag..it was last done on Feb 1st while MG was Feb 6th So as I understand on about Feb 13th I redo with CalMag....In between I presume I just use water??

I wonder what SeaSol is best for....Foliage or Fruit??

No homes for any plants yet ....Not one taker...I really see no problem at this stage .....and when the time comes I will have a clean out ...but I need insurance just in case ....Looking after my plants is quite easy as long as I have a watering program ....Any suspect leaves/branches are pruned ....I do still have some strange yellow markings on some plants which I will photograph as I do not know what the problem is there...

Regards Ron
Old February 7, 2017   #172
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ron, Yes, let's go with the MG Flower for now. I want you too keep track of what you feed and when until we get what your plants do best with. So thank you for telling me what has been used recently. Now, just how big of a difference is it that you saw yesterday? How green is green? Is it yellow green, grass green or blue green? And from what color green did they start from for you to notice such a change? Do not feed them anything again until we decide how your plants responded to these last two feedings. How are the little pale ones doing?

SeaSol is best for foliage (nitrogen), but even better for it's trace minerals.

Cheers ~ Patti
Old February 7, 2017   #173
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patti..I have been reading up about Sulphate Potash >>i wonder if my big plants need it for the fruit to taste nice??
Cheers Ron
Old February 8, 2017   #174
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patti>>i got mixed up ..so i got the Tomato one..The problem is there is 22% Nitrogen in it and my big plants are wilting so I have to water now....and I do not think I should be using a mix with 22% nitrogen ....I cannot read whats on these packets and the people do not want to help...The other one there is nothing about it being Miracle-Gro® MaxFeed Flowers and Blooms Plant Food on the packet .Cheers Ron
Old February 8, 2017   #175
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Ron you can go ahead and give your plants that are fruiting a little of it. There is a current thread going on here about sulfate of potassium. http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=43855
Here in the USA we use it more for fields than for pots.
Old February 8, 2017   #176
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patti..The lady that told me said you only need a "pinch"of it...do not use more...Well i can recall that but I cannot recall whether one mixes the pinch with water or just sprinkle it round the stem base...I could bike out to see if I can find her...??? .AND I still have my worm castings liquid ..it is getting old now...there is probably just over a litre in the container.....I was also warned about how powerful it was...do not know what it does for the plant.....That was back in the days when I could not understand how putting a teaspoon with a gallon of water would do anything for plants...
This afternoon I bought another 24 buckets for my new young ones and drilled drainage holes in them this evening...I also watered my WM (washing machine) drums ...two or three of the TT's looked bad but quickly came right after watering....They soon show when they require some water...
My young ones have the fan on them when the lights are on so thats about 16 hours a day...Still do not see good sturdy stems..I have a friend who has a degree in that sort of thing ..if I can find him i must ask if he can find out what they use at the place they grow the tomatoes...
I might have to put my young ones on a shelf in the ceiiling...?? They will get plenty of sun up there... Regards Ron
Old February 8, 2017   #177
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patti...I have been trying to read and understand various websites on sulphate of Potash as to tomatoes... It seems even as a young plant applying a small amount of sulphate of Potash can do wonders sprinkled on the top of the soil to the strength ,thickness of stem etc of a Tomato plant and this can be applied basicly at intervals throughout the rest of its life especially when flowers and then fruit arrive ...it apparantly sweetens the fruit up which is a Yes Yes for me ..in fact one article says Potash can bring back the Tomato taste of many many years ago and that is music to my ears.......Seeing I have to transplant my seedlings later today I wonder if I should just try a pinch on them and wash it in with a Calmag or MG solution.......I am wondering If I should also take the MG back and get the all purpose one with the lower Nitrogen level...
I really look forward to your thoughts on this and any suggestions you may make....Unfortunately I have no reply to the Jolie Tomato products from the authorities here ....I mean this product seems to me to be perfectly safe and there is a lot worse stuff coming into New Zealand every day yet i could be denied obtaining a product that would enhance my home grown tomatoes....
I can understand why my enquiries I have made get no replies ...probably companies overseas know the problems and costs associated to getting their product on the NZ market...so just ignore my enquiries...Regards Ron..
Old February 8, 2017   #178
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I agree that Potash is wonderful for tomatoes. I have been using it for years. Yes it does improve the flavor as well as the productivity of the plant. My personal favorite source is wood ash. It also contains many trace minerals that the plants need and it is free. Of course this is best used in the ground rather than in the pots and it can change your PH if you do not watch it. So can the sulfur in the sulfate of Potash. I have been trying to tell you about the importance of Potash for the past year! Just work it into the top of the soil or mix it with your water and water the plant.

Ron, please do not feed your plants with anything other than the Potash on the fruiting plants ONLY until you answer my questions in post #72. For now your other plants have enough potash in the MG.

Yes I would return the tomato MG and replace it with the MG Flower blend. Hopefully the Flower Blend has all of the trace minerals necessary for your plants.

Have you used the Calmag on your young plants? What are you feeding them. How is their color? SeaSol and worm castings are great. I will tell you when to use them after you answer my questions, so that you don't feed it to them and kill your plants.

Regards ~ Patti
Old February 8, 2017   #179
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patti..I am trying to get going?? Now I think you mean post #172 ...I am supposed to be colour blind so I will take a photo ....The plants are not purple but I thought were slightly more green .....I will also take my camera up and photograph the MG All purpose analysis ....
Now I got woodash some time ago and put it on plants but what sort of woodash was it....I can tell what pots it was applied too as it sits on the surface and makes the plant look as though it has never been watered ?????

As far as I can tell I have not put Calmag on my young ones (but I could have ..ITs not written in my diary)...MG yes. I have used a weakened solution on them.....

I must have breakfast... Will eat and then post photos...Cheers Ron...
Old February 8, 2017   #180
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patti..Sorry no photos as my batteries are flat and now I cannot find the charger ....Ron

Found it..I will give it 3 hours and see if they have charged enough to take photos then

Last edited by murihikukid; February 8, 2017 at 06:03 PM.