Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old May 11, 2013   #166
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Oh ok, we'll that makes sense.

Well I hope you and baby Babers get some nice weather, allowing you a plant out soon.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2013   #167
LDx4
Tomatovillian™

Cran -- looking really good! Your tomatoes are getting big! Any luck catching the raccoon varmint with that trap?

Lyn
LDx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2013   #168
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandrew View Post
... baby Babers...
babice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2013   #169
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Lyn, no luck, but they haven't seem to come back. I think the grubs are all eaten or moved on in their life cycle. So I'm thankful.

P.S. you need to try the Red Malabar, its awesome and just starting to branch and vine like crazy. the young leaves are tender, yummy and not a hint of bitter. A great supplement for warm locations that are sending spinach to seed.

Last edited by Crandrew; May 13, 2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old May 12, 2013   #170
GnomeGrown
Tomatovillian™

Looking awesome, Crandrew!
Old May 12, 2013   #171
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Looks great Cran! Your thread has gotten so long here I read the earlier posts a while back, and the later posts now lol

Regarding peas....I did direct sow mine and they just popped up when it was appropriate for our season. I figured less work for me . Same for snow peas.

Beans...last year I did some in rootrainers, and some in ground. They all evened out pretty quickly so there was no difference in flowering/fruit between them at all. In my opinion, not worth the extra work to start indoors, just sow them outdoors at planting time when soil temps are at 70 degrees. Still a few weeks out here. I think the only beans you can actually plant earlier are runner beans from what I've read as they like cooler temperatures than snaps or shellies do. I had such great luck with beans the last two years that this year I've increased my beans for sure.
Old May 12, 2013   #172
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Cran, your story about the raccoon made me laugh as I remember when my kids were younger the movie "Over the Hedge" came out. It was about a scheming raccoon who convinces all the other critters to join his hairbrained schemes to venture out of the woods, "over the hedge" into the "neighborhood" because when they wake up after hibernation, there is a huge hedge , and beyond, a brand new development of homes. With the homes, come a new food supply! It's pretty entertaining even for adults for a kids' movie!
Old May 12, 2013   #173
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

I had five racs in 2001. Bought dog food in huge bags and had fun playing with them and the hose.
I never saw them dunk their food, they just drank from their bowl like dogs. When the nearby date palm farm was cleared away for houses the racs all disappeared.
That was a happy time.

Last edited by Deborah; May 12, 2013 at 10:05 PM. Reason: I mean having them was happy, not that they disappeared.
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013   #174
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Crandrew, thanks to you I am growing lettuce (3 types) this year in cucumber bed. Later will be taking it out to plant cuces. Your thread was inspiring. Good luck with all. Love my lettuce. Eating it fresh right there. Who needs to make the salad.
thanks

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013   #175
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomeGrown View Post
Looking awesome, Crandrew!
Thanks Buddy I'm having a blast, I really cant wait for my 4 types of Large sunflowers to start taking off. then it will be beautiful!

[QUOTE=lakelady;347414]Looks great Cran! Your thread has gotten so long here I read the earlier posts a while back, and the later posts now lol

Regarding peas....I did direct sow mine and they just popped up when it was appropriate for our season. I figured less work for me . Same for snow peas.
QUOTE]
yeah i was attempting to keep it as a yearly journal, so it is a bit long, but people could follow the progress from seed to fruit to struggle to joy. I think in the fall I will just direct sow the peas as you did. I just get extra cautious and start indoors but i'm running out of room to do it timely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
Cran, your story about the raccoon made me laugh as I remember when my kids were younger the movie "Over the Hedge" came out. It was about a scheming raccoon who convinces all the other critters to join his hairbrained schemes to venture out of the woods, "over the hedge" into the "neighborhood" because when they wake up after hibernation, there is a huge hedge , and beyond, a brand new development of homes. With the homes, come a new food supply! It's pretty entertaining even for adults for a kids' movie!
Oh I never saw that one, I'll have to check it out. Lots of th animated films are fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
I had five racs in 2001. Bought dog food in huge bags and had fun playing with them and the hose.
I never saw them dunk their food, they just drank from their bowl like dogs. When the nearby date palm farm was cleared away for houses the racs all disappeared.
That was a happy time.
Haha, racoons are smart little criters. I wish I could hose one down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Crandrew, thanks to you I am growing lettuce (3 types) this year in cucumber bed. Later will be taking it out to plant cuces. Your thread was inspiring. Good luck with all. Love my lettuce. Eating it fresh right there. Who needs to make the salad.
thanks
And thats what brings me happiness. To have shared something and encouraged another to grow I love my lettuce and spinach and will be growing year round from here on out. Its theraputic to clip, clean and eat on a daily/weekly basis. Plus my body appreciates the increase in green yummies Keep up the good work!
Old May 13, 2013   #176
LDx4
Tomatovillian™

OK Cran -- you convinced me! I just ordered some Red Malabar Spinach seeds. Even though I had seen Red Malabar before, I always thought it was just another variety of spinach. I had no idea that it wasn't really spinach at all and could be grown in warm weather. Thanks for the tip! I'll be planting some in containers this year and will keep you posted.

Lyn
LDx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013   #177
lycomania
Tomatovillian™

Looks beautiful!
lycomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013   #178
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDx4 View Post
OK Cran -- you convinced me! I just ordered some Red Malabar Spinach seeds. Even though I had seen Red Malabar before, I always thought it was just another variety of spinach. I had no idea that it wasn't really spinach at all and could be grown in warm weather. Thanks for the tip! I'll be planting some in containers this year and will keep you posted.

Lyn
Yay! I'll take some more pictures for you this afternoon. They been throwing out vines like crazy and very easy to train. They were slow to grow in march, but once they reached about a foot and the temps warmed up they seemed to take off. They are exhibiting about 3in min growth a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycomania View Post
Looks beautiful!
Why thank you
Old May 15, 2013   #179
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Success!
I'm enjoying my first homegrown cucumber since last years disastrous results. Yummy!!
Japanese cucumber
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368662652.233451.jpg

And for Lyn, the Malabar. I'm going to harvest a bunch tomorrow.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368662697.716245.jpg
Old May 15, 2013   #180
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandrew View Post
Success!
I'm enjoying my first homegrown cucumber since last years disastrous results. Yummy!!
Japanese cucumber
Attachment 33545

And for Lyn, the Malabar. I'm going to harvest a bunch tomorrow.

Attachment 33546
Congrats! Everything looks very nice!

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote